Payment for washing and ironing

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
rosebud

Payment for washing and ironing

Post by rosebud »

I wonder how many hours work one should pay for washing and ironing for a couple: E.g. Washing & ironing one set of double bed linen, and 2 tea towels - & washing 2 bath towels and 4 hand towels?

And how much additional time for a third person staying; Additional set of single bed linen & one set of bath towel and tea towel?
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

For the purpose of my accounts I worked out that each wash load cost me approx. 24p and each dryer load cost me approx. 48p, so 72p in total.

So, you just need to add in electric for ironing (not done that calculation because I'd never thought of that, but will do now for the future). Add the cost of detergent etc and your time.

It's surprisingly time consuming for each load, collecting, sorting, checking for stains (possible soaking in stain remover first), removing hairs, loading, unloading, reloading, unloading, folding, ironing and checking for unremoved stains and potentially rewashing, refolding, redelivering! So make sure you add in enough time at a suggested rate of £10 per hour.
tavi

Post by tavi »

how much would your local laundry charge?

That's what I use to calculate costs and/or extra linen - or even linen discount if only one person staying.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Bunny wrote:For the purpose of my accounts I worked out that each wash load cost me approx. 24p and each dryer load cost me approx. 48p, so 72p in total.

So, you just need to add in electric for ironing (not done that calculation because I'd never thought of that, but will do now for the future). Add the cost of detergent etc and your time.
And wear and tear on the washing machine/dryer & iron - how many washes do you do before the washing machine/dryer needs replacing/repairing?

Then there's water/waste disposal; lighting & heating (unless you iron in the dark and cold); driving it home and taking it back immediately or cost of storage.

It's actually more than you might think.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Don't forget maintenance cover for the washer/dryer (Homesense?), it saves a fortune in parts & labour when something does go wrong (and it does always at the worserist time). Costs me £4.45 for the biggerest load Bosch washer.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

newtimber wrote:
Bunny wrote:For the purpose of my accounts I worked out that each wash load cost me approx. 24p and each dryer load cost me approx. 48p, so 72p in total.

And wear and tear on the washing machine/dryer & iron - how many washes do you do before the washing machine/dryer needs replacing/repairing?

Then there's water/waste disposal; lighting & heating (unless you iron in the dark and cold); driving it home and taking it back immediately or cost of storage.

Good point, especially as we have a private bore hole and it uses electricity to pump the water. Yippee, more I can put through as an expense!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Bunny wrote:
newtimber wrote:

Good point, especially as we have a private bore hole and it uses electricity to pump the water. Yippee, more I can put through as an expense!
Don't forget that it's only possible to do the ironing in front of a 50" television and complete Home Theatre sound system...... another essential to build in to the costs! :wink:
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Absolutely; it's just not possible to iron without some other form of entertainment to lessen the monotony.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Bunny wrote:Absolutely; it's just not possible to iron without some other form of entertainment to lessen the monotony.
Yeah - just don't do as I did and hang the bird feeders in the tree just outside the window, set the ironing board up inside and then get so engrossed in watching the birdies that you forget to move the iron :oops: :roll: :lol: Nobody but nobody seems to appreciate those brown triangular marks on their favourite shirt ...
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Essar wrote:Don't forget maintenance cover for the washer/dryer (Homesense?), it saves a fortune in parts & labour when something does go wrong (and it does always at the worserist time). Costs me £4.45 for the biggerest load Bosch washer.
Can't find Homesense online. Most appliance insurance excludes business use.
minxx

Post by minxx »

I'm a bit late to this thread but I've found this website to be quite handy in working out usage costs for electricity for washing and drying of linen and towels:
https://www.ukpower.co.uk/tools/running ... lectricity

It allows you to put in the number of hours washer or drier is used plus your electricity tariff to get an accurate cost.