Electric Blankets?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Normandy Cow

Electric Blankets?

Post by Normandy Cow »

I am helping a friend get started with letting out her oasthouse as a holiday rental. (This is in the UK).

She has electric blankets on the beds. I told her that I didn't think it was a good idea as it may be a bit of a liability. She was shocked (not literally!) and hadn't even considered this, and was disappointed as she thought it was a great touch to have lovely cosy beds in the cottage for winter visitors.

Any thoughts?
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Catherine...I agree with you on this one ...personally think electric blankets may be a liability. It does sound nice to include as an extra..but in this holiday rental business it could also be detrimental.

Why not ask her to settle for good quality quilts which do the same thing!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

My husband told me for years he thought electric blankets were dangerous (he has an HND in electrical engineering so knows his way around wires/plugs etc!). I believed him and did without until he confessed that he didn't really think so, he just knew the bed would be too hot for him!!

I just provide hot water bottles, I have the standard bottles and a couple of the (reproduction) stone ones. They stay hot all night and are in keeping with the period of the cottage.
sunny by nature

Post by sunny by nature »

You could maybe also suggest microwaveable hot water bottles (I think they're called Hotties). Then there would be no worries about leaks and loose stoppers. From memory, they have safeguards against overheating and over-microwaving, so might be a viable alternative.

And I loved the old stone bottles, I can remember them from staying at my granny's house when I was little. Ice on the inside of the windows and beds as warm as toast. Bliss!
Last edited by sunny by nature on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it's life Jim but not as we know it
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I don't think they are as dangerous as they once were (why are they on sale otherwise). I would have frozen to death in my in-laws house without one. However, I wouldn't buy one myself, but would buy a lambswool underblanket instead.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I agree that they are probably not as dangerous as they once were, but I am more paranoid about being unlucky enough to have one that is a bit dicey, or one that has been damaged, which shorts out and then being being sued by an injured guest... :(
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Hot water bottles sounds a better and safer option to me!!

Actually I'm thinking of supplying them for our villa in the Winter months!...Good idea Sue!! :D
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

because of the underfloor heating, our apartment is actually warmer in winter than summer . We would have been far too hot with either hot water bottles, or electric blankets. The beauty of thermal springs in you village. :)
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Since we renewed the boiler and the radiators and have the stove the place is really warm enough. There is something cosy about getting into bed and finding that hot spot where the bottle is though on a cold, snowy Northumberland night.

The stone bottles are a lot easier and safer to fill than the standard rubber bottles as they can stand in the sink while you tip the kettle into them. Mam used to fill the rubber bottles with boiling water (which you're not supposed to do) and they would of course eventually spring a leak.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I agree with everyone else - not electric blankets - too dangerous! I had one when I was a student in Bristol living in a house with no central heating (as we all did then!). I came home one day to find the firebrigade there with smoke coming out of my bedroom window - I'd left it on accidentally. It isn't worth the risk - hot water bottles if neccessary are much safer!
Vally

Post by Vally »

I know years ago ( when they were dicey) they used to provide them in Scotland but I don't think I would chance it , Might be a good idea to have a word with your insurance broker ansd see how insurance companies feel about them
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Vally has a very good idea.

I don't really use electric blankets, but it's my understanding that they now are fairly advanced with their fire/overheating controls.
Brooke
gh

Post by gh »

Agree that now-a-days all electrical equiptment should be tested and conform to xyz code, however, having experienced a near fire many years ago at my Gran's house; due to there being an electrical fault with hers, I will not have one in any of our houses. I'm aware that they are stringently tested and without sounding like my mum, once bitten twice shy.

Better off with a nice cozy hot water bottle or ......... to keep you warm. :lol:
debk

Post by debk »

Some British friends gave us their (fairly new) electric blankets when they moved back to England in 2002. Nights get chilly around here, so we decided to use them... until our son woke up one morning with seriously charred sheets. After thanking God that nothing had burst into flames, we threw all the electric blankets away. Sheets were trash, too, of course. Strictly down comforters for us, thank you very much!
debk
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

We have electric blankets at home, one with two 'sides' but my husband always leaves his side on for hours before he goes to bed and it's like an oven when I get in. Then he falls asleep on the sofa anyway so I cook for several hours and then go and kick him and tell him to get into bed or turn the bloody thing off.

so to be honest, I'm not a huge fan....

In our place in spain it does get cold during the winter months and I provide fleece blankets and hot water bottles. We have stayed ourselves in cold weather and the hottie bottles are lovely and cosy. To be honest, my vote goes with the humble hottie.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......