First booking...

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Foxandsot

First booking...

Post by Foxandsot »

...albeit from one of my best friends!!

I'm now quite scared!! What do I do :shock:

What things do I need to send her at this stage. A booking form? Terms & conditions? Does anyone send an inventory of everything that is in their property, if so, at what stage should this be sent?

I would appreciate if anyone could give me an idea of what they send and when they send it (also do you post stuff for signatures or only deal via email).

Thanks, I really don't want to balls up on my first booking!!

Thanks

Michelle
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

At this stage I would send a booking form which has the terms and conditions on it. I would ask for a deposit to be paid and the signed booking form to be returned with it. I then confirm receipt of the deposit.
When the balance is due we send a reminder if it hasn't been paid. At this point we ask for a seperate cheque for the security deposit, along with the balance. We explain that this is cashed just prior to the start of the holiday.
When we have received the balance, we confirm and send directions.
We don't send an inventory at any point.
Hope this helps.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The inventory is included in our information folder at the apartment.
At the moment, we do almost exactly what Kayley does, except ours is done online by our booking system. If they phone to book, I take down a few details and then ask them to either book using the website, or we can send them an invoice through the system. They have to read the terms and condtions befreo they can complete the booking.
The security deposit is paid with the balance , and stays in my Paypal account until it is refunded.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi. This is what we do. Someone wants to book. I ask them to print off the booking form from our website, fill it in , sign it and send it with 25% deposit to my UK address. Next I cash the cheque. Next I send them an invoice, with the security deposit amount included, all to be paid 8 weeks before hols. Next, we receive the balance ( sometimes I remind them if it was booked a year in advance or if I think they may need it !!). Next I cash that cheque, wait a week or so, then send a receipt ( sometimes I e-mail to say thanks, directions in post etc ). In the same mailing I include the full address, directions, method of picking up the key. No inventory. :lol:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Our inquiry response e-mail always includes a link to PayPal and instructions on other methods of payment, along with a PDF copy of our booking contract.

When someone books, they send payment -- almost always online -- and send the contract -- almost always by fax. We sign the contract too and fax it back to them, and we e-mail a receipt after their payment has cleared. Without both of these, contract and payment, no booking has been made.

Then, 8 weeks before they arrive at the house, I send a reminder of payment due, if they haven't already paid. With the receipt for final payment, I send our welcome packet, which is a PDF document containing directions to the house, the code to our key box, and basic info on the house and the local area.

No inventory, unless it's requested!
Brooke
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hi Michelle,

This is our first year too and I was in the same state as you with my first one so I know exactly how you feel! As the first family booked less than 6 weeks before the holiday they had to pay the whole thing right away, but normally I'll email them Terms and Conditions and a Booking Form and ask them to send it back to me with 25% of the total to confim the booking and explain that the balance will be due 6 week before the holiday together with £300 security deposit, no need for a separate cheque as I cash it anyway - no point otherwise - although Kayley's idea is a good one - asking for a separate cheque and then only cashing it just before, guests would probably appreciate that!

Only when the full balance has been paid will I email them directions to the house and the code for the key safe.

On the first night when anyone arrives, I'm on tenderhooks waiting for a phone call with problems and I desperately want to ring them up and find out what they think, how they're doing etc. I did that with the first one and she was quite surprised but I just couldn't wait a whole 2 weeks!! Luckily everything has been fine so far................except the weather for the current one (Brittany!).

On the day they're due back, I email to welcome them home and say that I'll be sending the security deposit back tomorrow minus any phone charges (downloaded from France Telecom website) or anything else that needs deducting. I don't do this till I've heard from my changeover people that all is OK.

No inventory either, too much faffing!

Best of luck,

Kathy
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Thanks everyone for your replies, they've been very helpful.

Kathy - I think I am going to be exactly like you when our first guests stay!! As it's a friend it will be even harder to stop myself from calling her as soon as she gets there and asking her what she thinks!

Michelle