One shower head or two?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
rosebud

One shower head or two?

Post by rosebud »

My bath is going - after feedback from guests - and I will have a shower in a recess with a sliding door.

I am wondering whether to have just a slider with a shower head on a flexible hose or to have fittings which combine a fixed (larger) shower head along with the smaller one on the flexible hose?

Advice appreciated
tavi

Post by tavi »

haha...I just posted this on the other new bathroom thread........:lol:

I can only speak for me (obv.) - I think I'm going for a slider with flexible hose...only.

My research suggests that drenchers are fab but:

need good water pressure as usually a wider head
need higher temperature as cools quicker (I'm limited by a small-ish immersion tank)
use more water as guest maybe inclined to stay under it longer?

So for my purposes a good quality slider etc is fine.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

My very small survey amongst the family is that boys like rain showers and girls don't like getting their hair wet but it is true you need good pressure to have the overhead monsoon type shower. I have just installed both in our cottage but had to put in a hot water pump to match the extraordinarily high pressure of our mains, off which the cold part is coming. The only time I can be enticed into having a shower (I do bathe in a bath, by the way!) is if the water pressure is massive so it really warms one up. If pressure is an issue (I hadn't thought of the extra cost factor which is very valid) then I would go for just the handheld.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I've got a slider for the new bathroom as it's a shower over a bath...and I know mums like to use this for doing the kids hair etc.

When I do the en-suite and remove the bath and replacing with a walk in shower I was going down the fixed head route with a shower attachment.....but now you've made me think. Maybe I'm going for style over purpose.

Mmmm...Mousie thinking
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
GRL

Post by GRL »

I personally hate the overhead ones and if the water power is poor I can't get the shampoo out of my longish hair. Plus I have noticed that when the boys use it they have to have the water hotter as it loses heat as it falls down. But hubby loves it!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

If you're taking out a bath, then in my humble opinion, you should put in the best shower you can. For me, that would mean both options; a fixed overhead rain shower head and a smaller head on a flexible hose and slider.

I have that at home and it then suits all the members of the family; whether tall or short, male or female, wanting to wash hair or keep hair dry. I use both depending on circumstances. :)
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

I've got both and far prefer my fixed overhead shower with slider attachment. If I don't want to get my hair wet, I wear a shower cap. It's especially nice in the winter as more of my body goes under the water, whereas the slider shower has a much smaller circumference :oops:
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Many thanks everyone for your feedback

Unfortunately I don't have the headroom for an overhead shower (I love this in my home)

So I will just have the flexible hose on the slider - what size do you think the shower head should be?
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I also have a strong preference for the flexible slider types - nice big showerhead is preferable for me as I have so much hair I need a substantial amount of water to get the shampoo out!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

rosebud wrote: So I will just have the flexible hose on the slider - what size do you think the shower head should be?
As big as you can get. :D
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Many thanks Nemo and everyone ..

After a sleepless night (dreaming of shower heads!) I got back to my bathroom fitter ... as I really, really wanted both the overhead drencher head - and a flexible hose on a slider on the wall. I couldn't reconcile myself to the idea of just a flexible hose..

The good news is that I will now have the overhead fitting - flush to the ceiling.. to overcome the problem of a relatively low ceiling
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm sure it will look lovely Rosebud when it's all done. I know how agonising it can be trying to make the right decision.
Look forward to the photos :D

Mousie (also going through bathroom traumas :lol: )
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!