Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Adding a blog to PMP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cymraes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Adding a blog to PMP Reply with quote

Anyone managed to do this? If so do you have instructions in words of one syllable please

Bloggers instructions are to change the DNS settings at my host which will wreck my pointing to PMP!

At the moment I have it linking to the blogger url but for SEO I think it needs to be on the PMP site?

Thanks for any help with this - having just fired the agency I need to get my website up the rankings!
Rosie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently trying to build a PMP website. I plan to keep my existing blog separate and start a new one on the new website. Apparently you have to contact them to enable blog functionality. Would have been nice if they said that on the web page rather than me spending ages trying to find something that was not there.
FelicityA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have to ask them (as far as I can remember Rolling Eyes) and you have reminded me that I haven't blogged for ages...... I just went to the sitebuilder page and clicked on no. 12. Perhaps something has changed.
Cymraes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a 12.....

I'm glad it isn't obvious - I guess an email to PMP is called for!

Thanks both Smile
SandyBeaches

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another PMP user told me about the blog function and I emailed them to activate it. Think it's still in the test phase?
Cymraes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've emailed them and I'll report back when I hear from them. Watch this space!
FelicityA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should be very quick. I think they have one of the best customer support teams ever!

I have had my blog for nearly two years now so i think we must be past test phase. Mind you, I don't think anybody finds it or reads it so it must be pretty boring and I confess, I don't work at it making connections with other blogs etc.
Cymraes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I have a response!

The blog software is still in beta phase but they will enable it for me if I want them to. I've said yes so I hope it doesn't take long Smile
Dotty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding this an interesting thread. Something to add to my ever lengthening to-do list as I also use PMP for the website.

Sorry for the thread creep - I know nothing about blogging-, but do you have a separate blog and feed it to the PMP site or do you blog directly on the PMP site itself? If its a separate blog do you have recommendations for an easy/effective one to set up and run and then link to PMP? Thanks
Rosie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have a blog as part of the PMP website but from what others before me have said you need to contact them to activate it. It is better for your SEO if the blog is on your website but of you want to have a separate one then you have blogger and wordpress to choose from. Apparently Wordpress is better but I am on blogger ... although about to start a new blog on my PMP site once I get it sorted.
FelicityA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dotty wrote:
I'm finding this an interesting thread. Something to add to my ever lengthening to-do list as I also use PMP for the website.

Sorry for the thread creep - I know nothing about blogging-, but do you have a separate blog and feed it to the PMP site or do you blog directly on the PMP site itself? If its a separate blog do you have recommendations for an easy/effective one to set up and run and then link to PMP? Thanks

Once set up, you just go to number 12 in the "My website" editing page, click on that and Bob's your uncle. Upload photos like you do for the main website and a tab appears on your front page saying "blog" which of course you can move to top, bottom, or side. You can enable or disable comments, I think, although I can't find that bit right now so perhaps I am misremembering, but you can tick a box to be notified if someone does leave a comment.
Dotty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rosie and Felicity. I'll contact PMP when I get down to blogging on my list!
Rosie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FelicityA wrote:
Dotty wrote:

Once set up, you just go to number 12 in the "My website" editing page,

... except there is no Number 12 Sad
FelicityA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... except there is no Number 12

Take heart, Rosie. I am sure there will be once you have set up your blog!
Cymraes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number 12 magically appears once you're enabled as I now am!

I even have a blog post up. After using Blogger and WordPress I'm finding the software to be very basic but it does the job. It has a FB like button but not a share one nor a follow on Twitter which seems odd. Maybe I'm missing something. I don't think I can set up an RSS feed either. I have some tickets in with support as I may just be missing the blindingly obvious.

There is the facility to import existing blog data from elsewhere on to their platform. How well it works I don't know as I'm starting this one from scratch.

If it wasn't for the better SEO from using the PMP software I'd just use a link page to attach it to Blogger. Much more customisation but there you go. Google rankings are more important at the moment!
How to build your own personal website from scratch