Flood Insurance for Riverside house - any recommendations?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
shonat

Post by shonat »

I have a riverside house which has never flooded in the 35 years
we've had it although properties nearby have been flooded. 8 years ago we switched its use from permanent home to Holiday Let and I have been unable to find a company which would insure against flood damage. Is anyone in a similar situation?[/b]
alcooper

flood insurance for riverside house

Post by alcooper »

Our site of 10 cottages is on the banks of a river - it had flooded when we bought it in 2000 but we were able to get insurance as we hadn't had a claim. We partially flooded in 2012 and couldn't get flood insurance until a year had passed - we are now covered again - maybe because we have "commercial" insurance rather than standard cover or buy to let, it may be worth you looking for commercial insurance as it is basically a business
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Have you tried the usual suspects for insurance for this business?
NFU
Boshers
Schofields
Others I can't remember.......
shonat

Post by shonat »

Thank you for your responses. I've tried numerous companies. Alcooper, could you let me have the name of your insurance company and I'll give them a try.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Are you going to insurance brokers rather than approaching companies directly? They can access so many companies and policies for you.
Good luck. (Is it worth keeping an eye in the Twitter feeds and sites currently covering the Cumbrian floods? You may get a sense here of companies which are likely to be helpful)
shonat

Post by shonat »

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've tried various brokers and because of proximity to other properties which have flooded they can't get any of the companies to cover me. Waiting to hear back from another one tomorrow.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Have you tried Adrian Flux? A friend uses them as they cover unusual circumstances such as thatched properties, properties on flood plains etc.
shonat

Post by shonat »

Thanks HelenB. That's the one I'm waiting to hear back from tomorrow. Fingers Crossed!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Although we are now where near a river, simply due to a very heavy downpour in summer, many of the houses near us were flooded when the drains couldn't cope with the water. Our own house was unaffected, but obviously our risk went up. We got insurance OK with whoever the provider was at the time (Halifax possibly) , but I think flooding was excluded for a couple of years even though we hadn't had to claim.
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

Hello, we got our holiday home insurance through Intasure when several other companies wouldn't insure us due to flood risk when we gave our postcode. We do have an excess attached to flooding though, 20% of the costs I think.
shonat

Post by shonat »

Thanks, SusanMay. I'll give them a go tomorow.
alcooper

flood insurance for riverside house

Post by alcooper »

we got our insurance through a broker - One Insurance Solutions - worth a try!
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

Schofields wouldnt touch us as we are 400m from the sea and also quite near a river. We went with Intasure who just charge a higher excess
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
shonat

Post by shonat »

Just heard back from Intasure - they won't do it!
bessie

Post by bessie »

I use NIG for my coastal properties ,the north sea can be cruel ,sea front can come at a cost.