Am I now too cynical?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Morristhedog

Am I now too cynical?

Post by Morristhedog »

Someone phoned today with no called ID asking to rent for a month now? I told them we only take bookings on line. It seemed preposterous to me. At the same time I have an enquiry by email telling me they have seen my place on several sites, (it is only on OD) and they want to book through Trip Advisor. They then quote a ref to a Trip Advisor property.
I am looking out for anyone using my details to advertise since the last scam. I think these are scammers are keen to hook me.
What do you think of this latest email? How could they use this to make money?

Thanks Morristhedog

Hello,

I have read the guest comments from your property and we wish book with you.
Could you advise what current availability you have please for one week the last of May or first of June and what is the rates/week.

I must inform you that i have seen the property one more websites with different name so, i don't understand if you are the owner or the property manager.

I wish deal trough tripadvidor so just confirm me if this is the link with the property

tripadvisor.com/ p519472
Thanks
Gilles

[Edited by admin]
A dreamer is one who can only find his way home by moonlight.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Here's what I would do:

Don't click on the link contained in the email. Copy and paste it to the address bar in your browser if you want to see where it takes you. It's possible it takes you to a fake log-in page where, if you fall for it, you'll be giving away your password?

I would notice that Gilles doesn't actually refer to my property at all, not as an apartment or a house, how many people, is completely vague - doesn't ask any questions....etc. That would make me suspicious.

I would notice that Gilles spells his name differently in his email to his address.

What email address is he using to get to you...is it one that OD has? Or from your website?

So yes, it looks likely to be a scam, I'd probably ignore.

If I felt it may just be a slightly bewildered internet user, I would reply nicely, directing him to my OD advert where he will find availability, prices, and an enquiry form.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Not sure it is a good idea to post dodgy links and email addresses on here. Of course, they could be genuine, but if you don't list on Trip Advisor (or Flipkey or Holiday Lettings) it probably isn't genuine.
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

I wonder if he intended to write the Maidstone address?
Essar

Post by Essar »

It's a scam!

Of course he gave you an address; it's all meant to give you confidence and suck you in.

As Tavi says don't click on the link in an email. Always log on to your listing sites directly, never ever from an email, even if it is genuine - just keep to this rule and you will not get caught out.

Real listing sites, banks, PayPal and the rest will NEVER ask you to give them your log in name, password, card details, address in an attached form or on an email. No matter how good it looks they just don't do it.

Look for signs in enquiries - vague details, misspellings, inconsistencies, wrong dates, long stays (too long), change of plans to meet your availability and too many questions about rubbish. If in doubt leave it alone no matter how much you want that booking.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Old Bill

Post by Old Bill »

We have just had this from 'giles.mirambeau@gmail.com':

Hello,

I have read the guest comments from your property and we wish book with you.
Could you advise what current availability you have please for one week the last of May or first of June and what is the rates/week.

I must inform you that i have seen the property one more websites with different name so, i don't understand if you are the owner or the property manager.

I wish deal trough tripadvidor so just confirm me if this is the link with the property

https://www.tripadvisor.com/property-rentals/p519472/
Thanks
Gilles

The quality of scams is unfortunately improving and it's getting harder to know what's genuine and what's a scam.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

That's an improvement? :shock:
lorca

Post by lorca »

Just a suggestion, but there are a couple of very helpful stickies at the top of this section of the forum.

There´s a lot of expertise and experience there, and if folk take the time to read through them - along with a lot of previous threads - before they have concerns, they might be saved a lot of worry...and worse..

Just saying
If not now, when?
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

But what I want to know is how does the Gilles letter profit the scammer? Plainly it is a hoax of some kind, but I don't see how it works. Also although everyone keeps saying don't click on the link, no one says why not? What is supposed to happen?

If you can answer these questions I would be interested.

Is anyone else getting the phone calls as well? To me these are most dangerous because they cost money for me to answer and they come on my UK mobile.

Morristhedog
Old Bill

Post by Old Bill »

We've had the e-mail but no phone calls.
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

I got another version this morning purporting to be from Robert who stayed here last year! No Robert stayed here.

Scammer still can't spell!

Morristhedog
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

What made you think the phone call was also a scam? I've often been called by French people wanting to stay somewhere at the last minute. Direct them to my website, but don't hear from them again, doesn't mean they are scammers though.
GRL

Post by GRL »

Robert also apparently stayed in my friend's cottage in Scotland :roll:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Morristhedog wrote:But what I want to know is how does the Gilles letter profit the scammer? Plainly it is a hoax of some kind, but I don't see how it works. Also although everyone keeps saying don't click on the link, no one says why not? What is supposed to happen?
Clicking on links can take you to fake sites or other sites in an attempt to capture your log in details. A scammers aim is to get personal details and eventually, in some way, get money from you or your accounts. Rather than try and understand how one particular scam may work, as actually they are subtly changing all the time, it would be more useful to learn about the general scamming process in all its shapes and forms.

It's well worth reading this information on the Which site. Aimed at UK consumers, it nevertheless has some great plain English information, that doesn't confuse with technical terminology, and can then be applied to the many different types of scams out there.
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... oCiKrw_wcB

As far as not being able to spell, most scammers do not have English as their first language, so it's hardly surprising.

Here's some more articles written on the Holiday Lettings site that are specific obviously to holiday homes. https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/resou ... 1-32-2576/

https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/resou ... 1-32-1272/