A shame about maintenance!

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

COYS wrote: Bit of a TC, but out of interest are you using a liquid system or an integral cement additive for tanking?
We have layers of failing epoxy that will be stripped back to the original render, but local opinion is split on the need for tanking behind the tiles.
Personally, I'd always go for a belt & braces approach.
The spec was all in Spanish but they did helpfully provide a translation. A bit Google Translate though. This is what they said with reference to the pool interior:

CHAPTER 02 INDOOR SWIMMING POOL SUBCHAPTER 02.01 DEMOLITION 02.01.01 M2 chopped GRESITE by manual means Chopped tile with manual means, including loading and transportation of material to landfill. measured to run tape. Background 1 5.00 10.00 50.00 wall

SUBCHAPTER 02.02 ALBAÑILERIA ARMOUR AP 02.02.01 PASIBADO Pasibado starting elevation of armor consisting of chopped affected area, cutting armor, applying alkyd anticorrosive additives that hold and stabilize the presence of oxide and regularizing the surface with repair mortar . Implemented as the unit

SUBCHAPTER 02.03 IMPERMEABILIZACION M2 02.03.01 SEAL WATERPROOFING SIKA TOP 107

SUBCHAPTER 02.04 LINING 02.04.01 M2 supply and installation of GRESITE supply and installation of tile, adhesive received , including cuts, grouting and cleaning. Medi It gives the executed surface. NOTE : P.V.P. Tile to 9.00 € / m2

Clear as mud to me. Any comments?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

teapot wrote:
Mouse wrote: Over the past 10 yrs we must have ploughed nearly 100k euros back in to this place
Mouse
x
I can only hope you are showing a profit after all that work and expenditure?
It equates to around 8k euros a year give or take...about 20% of our turnover and includes things like new kitchen, houses repainted twice (that's over 3k :roll: ) and two bathrooms redone. Fortunately with each large spend we've managed to extend our season by a couple of weeks to help pay.
We still managed to pay the mortgage off in 6 yrs which was our goal. Phew!

I've decided next year tho' that we'll have a break from builders and save the final bathroom until 2017. Plus we need to start saving now for our retirement given we've no pension :roll:

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
COYS

Post by COYS »

Casscat wrote:
COYS wrote: Bit of a TC, but out of interest are you using a liquid system or an integral cement additive for tanking?
We have layers of failing epoxy that will be stripped back to the original render, but local opinion is split on the need for tanking behind the tiles.

Kind of a cement slurry if I recall. A surface coating & much like I was trying to explain to our local 'tradesmen'. Unfortunately, much shrugging of shoulders ensued, filling me with little confidence but at least your guys are heading down the right track.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
teapot

Post by teapot »

COYS wrote:
Casscat wrote:

Kind of a cement slurry if I recall. A surface coating & much like I was trying to explain to our local 'tradesmen'. Unfortunately, much shrugging of shoulders ensued, filling me with little confidence but at least your guys are heading down the right track.
Just ignore the ones that say a water proofer (tanking or other solution) isn't needed as they are just building in a fail so they can come back in a few years and earn their money all over again.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
COYS

Post by COYS »

teapot wrote: Just ignore the ones that say a water proofer (tanking or other solution) isn't needed as they are just building in a fail so they can come back in a few years and earn their money all over again.
Agreed, which is why I shall leave it to someone I can trust not to cut corners. Me.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.