Stolen towels - how to charge

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
juliew

Stolen towels - how to charge

Post by juliew »

Guests that left this morning have had 3 bath towels stolen when using them at local natural spring baths. The 3 towels are from John Lewis but not a colour they currently stock.

My question is what do I charge the guests?

I pride myself on having all the linen matching for all 10 guests, so if I just charge them for 3 bath towels I have the problem of towels that don't match. All the bedrooms are doubles and of course the hand towels and face cloths will not match.

One of the house rules is that they don't take towels away from the house.

To correct the problem to my total satisfaction I would need to replace all 10 sets!
Your comments would be appreciated please.
A conscience does not prevent sin. It only prevents you from enjoying it.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

This is why I have only white towels :D You should charge the guests for the replacement cost of the towels because they should not have removed them from the house as per your rules, but you cannot charge them for the fact that your 'set' is now incomplete due to discontinued colours. You could always add some towels in say a stripe which has the same colour in it as the incomplete towel set - but make sure the stripe also has a colour which is easy to match as you rebuild your coordinated bathroom.
juliew

Post by juliew »

I thought that would be the case but hoped there was a better resolution
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi Julie,
We always tend to buy a few extras to avoid this. We had this issue with bed linen, we enough for 3 changes plus a spare. It does make the cost to buy a complete set eye watering but hopefully avoids the issue you now have.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Towels need upgrading so often that aiming for 'sets' surely isn't practical anyway?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

If you insist on having 'sets' perhaps smaller sets for each bedroom would be more practical?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

The only fair thing is to charge for the ones missing.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Agree with the others.

If you were to charge them for all 10 sets then you will need to give/send them all the remaining towels - since they are paying for them - iyswim.
juliew

Post by juliew »

Thanks everyone great advice
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Oh I get so frustrated with this type of thing as I hate having mis matched anything. Add to that the frustration of suppliers changing their colour offerings.
I've had guests take home our towels, and of course they're always the new ones not the old ones I want to replace but only charge for replacements and quietly seething for a day or two.

I like a mocha coloured towel myself :wink:

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

TBH, from a guest perspective, slightly distinguishable towels is a bonus IMO. I remember hiring a cottage with the in-laws once, and all the towels were identical, which meant I could not leave them hanging in the bathroom as I didn't want to inadvertently be 'sharing' a towel with my in laws! :lol:

The ones I supply are all white but they are from various suppliers. I just make sure that there are matching ones left for them in pairs on the beds so that it looks tidy.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

All white towels are certainly easier to manage for washing and stain removal but how I hate when we go to hotels or apartments and all the towels are identical. If I make the foolish mistake of leaving mine in the bathroom instead of jealously guarding it, it is almost a dead cert that my husband will use all of them. He is very big so his towels are always extremely well used and I hate being faced with a cold damp towel as the only option.

For this reason I have sets of towels provided in my cottage for four guests and they are all different (but blending) colours so as long as they tell their husbands (I think this a man thing, not caring what they use)e.g. "mine is the cream/green/whatever" they will have a happier bath time!

Sorry, Julie about the thread creep. I agree with the others, you can only charge for the number which have disappeared.
juliew

Post by juliew »

Mouse - how did you know what colour it was! Or is it that you just like mocha? :)
juliew

Post by juliew »

I completely see what you are saying regarding having all the towels the same colour. When we have gusts at home each couple gets the same colour.
ellerhow

Post by ellerhow »

Do charge postage too Julie and if you need pairs I would charge for an even number and offer to send them the extra odd one. I am sure you do already but add a reminder that towels shouldn't be taken off the property to be used for swimming or sunbathing.