Nice guests turned me down

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
teapot

Post by teapot »

They weren't guests they were just prospects. So they chose a different place with a less informative T&C's page, people see what they want to see when they possibly read things.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Sun Lover

Post by Sun Lover »

They could of course have been fishing for info e.g. to copy your T&C............. or something else.

I also had a similar request this year (2015) and stupidly replied and was also turned down.

I shall not do the same again.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Sun Lover wrote:They could of course have been fishing for info e.g. to copy your T&C............. or something else.
Unless I've misunderstood, the prospective guests did not ask for a copy of the T&Cs - they were sent a copy unbidden at the enquiry stage.
CSE

Post by CSE »

It is good to know you have insurance that would matter to be then reading this in the T&C.

All we can say is we are all different and therefore that maybe one little paragraph in any T&C could put anyone at sometime off reserving accommodation.

Seeing as this is the first time it is nothing to worry about, however if it was a constance stream then you have something to be concerned about.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Sun Lover wrote:They could of course have been fishing for info e.g. to copy your T&C............. or something else.

I also had a similar request this year (2015) and stupidly replied and was also turned down.

I shall not do the same again.

Ideally you should have them on your website so they can be read before you have to get that far.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Mine go out with the booking form. I can't see the point of taking a deposit from someone, then send them out, if guest does not agree to them (if he hasn't see them before how can he agree?) do they get a refund?
joddle

Post by joddle »

I don't think there was anything "funny" with this enquiry and as some observed, the my T&Cs are sent out along with the initial response to an enquiry. It was the speed of the response in which they said "we have now booked somewhere else" which I felt begged the question as to why - and so as I had time I asked if it was anything to do with the new prices - and they kindly responded. As many people don't even bother to respond to the initial response - never mind to a follow up, I was most please they even bothered - and maybe I have learned something and I will be changing the wording on the initial response document.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Gordo

Re: Nice guests turned me down

Post by Gordo »

joddle wrote:I am now convinced we do the right thing but may benefit from adding some more information as to why we think this is important - an example as a for instance!
I'm really surprised you want to add more info in order to explain a potential scenario that may never exist.

If the cancellation you mentioned in OP was driven by your T&C sentence "possible non availability due to circumstances beyond the control of the owner or manager" then doesn't that suggest that in this instance it might just have been that little bit of extra detail that sowed a seed of doubt in the bookers mind?

For me the term "possible non availability" raises a mental flag that just isn't there (for me) when I read that something is "subject to vacant possession."

On a lighter note I remember once reading a tall story about a RyanAir pilot (or maybe it was Michael O'Leary) who's supposed to have said something along the lines of "we've have less plane crashes than any other airline!" and although I'd find that rather hard to believe it just reinforces the same point when you compare it to "we're the worlds safest airline"

I'm as guilty as the next person in taking something that's been written down out of context (easily done on a forum!) so I suppose it's a case of the devil is in the detail.

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
Essar

Post by Essar »

More information provided about possible "what ifs" will invariably result in more inane questions about rarely ocurring scenarios.

Putting examples as explanations in terms and conditions is a no-go area. It creates unease and rejection.

Terms and conditions are never easy to read, you can't make them lovable and they are often as not for the faint-hearted; most people ignore them when buying something as it wastes time getting what they want.

Wanting to be open and honest about all things in a transaction is the right thing to do; ensuring accuracy and covering all the major possibilities is sufficient for most bookings. Yes there will be times when the terms don't fit but they can be added with experience.

Litigation or the threat of it is often an opening gambit after something has gone wrong. This should always be ignored; as someone said earlier it's amazing how many people suddenly know or are related to a lawyer or judge, it's a bit like all dogs being "small and well behaved".

Always stick to the facts of the matter, weed out the dross that is irrelevant by either shooting it down in flames or completely ignoring it. Never get involved in abusive language or blame and NEVER accept responsibility unless you are really at fault and I mean negligent not just being forgetful. Never offer compensation to start with this will always escalate.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
joddle

Re: Nice guests turned me down

Post by joddle »

Gordo wrote: I'm really surprised you want to add more info in order to explain a potential scenario that may never exist.

If the cancellation you mentioned in OP was driven by your T&C sentence "possible non availability due to circumstances beyond the control of the owner or manager" then doesn't that suggest that in this instance it might just have been that little bit of extra detail that sowed a seed of doubt in the bookers mind?

Aha - note in my last response I said "I will be changing" the wording - I had already taken on board what you are all saying :)
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

roxytoo wrote:Mine go out with the booking form. I can't see the point of taking a deposit from someone, then send them out, if guest does not agree to them (if he hasn't see them before how can he agree?) do they get a refund?
Ours do too, except for Holiday Letting bookings where it's attached to the advert & quote, but I don't think anyone ever looks at it on there.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Don't forget to add to your T&Cs - "although we are atheists we still support the concept of an Act of God" - covers all fronts! :D
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"