Tea Towels

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Casscat

Tea Towels

Post by Casscat »

Just starting a new discussion based on a passing comment in the earlier bathroom towels thread.

Tea towels are the bane of my life because, as commented upon, they have such a short existence. Often after only one or two bookings they are so indelibly stained as to need binning or a new incarnation as rags. I also find that many rather attractive looking tea towels are just not up to the job in terms of washability - they shrink, become misshapen, cannot be hot-washed and generally look unappealing once they've seen the inside of a washing machine.

I once had a boyfriend who owned a butcher's shop. He brought home some tea towels which were commercial towels he used in the shop and which I still have to this day. They are indestructible. They must be nearly 15 years old now but they look as fresh as the day they were minted - they have no staining, have not faded or shrunk, wash easily, need minimal ironing and are as close to tea towel perfection as I can think of. I see their siblings on TV constantly in any programme which films behind the scenes in pro kitchens and I really want to know where I can find them. They are white cotton towels with blue stripes. I would post a photo but I am at the finca at the moment and the tea towels are at the Mijas apartment.

I have searched online but to no avail. I know they are still manufactured as they are so ubiquitous on TV but where do I find them?!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

ellerhow

Post by ellerhow »

Try Rushbrooks, the butcher equipment suppliers.
We have several bundles of IKEA blue and white striped ones which bleach up well and are cheap enough for us not to bother when they get indelible stains.
Now OVEN-GLOVES!........
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

ellerhow wrote:Try Rushbrooks, the butcher equipment suppliers.
Do you have a link? I couldn't find Rushbrooks via Google.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

greenbarn wrote: Nisbets?
GlobalFSE?
That's a negative on both :(
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I think the one I'm looking for is this in the blue stripe. The wholesaler is only selling in cartons of 300 and has no pricing on the site.

Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Hurrah, I think this is them! http://www.rentexhygiene.co.uk/shop/pro ... ipe-p-1194 Now to get a quote for shipping to Spain....

If I order five packs of 10 will that be enough for now do you think, or should I double up to be on the safe side? At 90p per towel (plus the delivery) I can probably push the boat out. God I hope the quality is the same as my 15 year old towels! :o
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

My best purchase were some black tea towels (with a couple of narrow white lines) from M&S. They wash well, don't show stains and feel nice and soft. However they've stopped selling them :cry:

My favorite by far are the pure linen ones you can get...dry fabulously and improve with age...but I won't let them near guests.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Probably no help at all, Casscat, but many years ago, when we had our restaurant, we bought hundreds of commercial grade tea towels and linen glass cloths at a catering auction, for what seemed like a pittance. Many of them are still going, having been washed goodness knows how many thousands of times, and they're still clean enough to hang out on the washing line in public :lol:

Maybe there are catering auctions where you are? Otherwise, do you have Metro or other catering wholesalers close by?
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I'm sure I've seen them for sale on e-bay. In the early days I made the mistake of not buying pure cotton or linen ones. Guests would wipe the hob over before it had cooled resulting in the towel melting a horrible sticky residue onto the hob. :cry: They still do the same with synthetic dishcloths though. :roll:
e-richard

Re: Tea Towels

Post by e-richard »

Casscat wrote:I once had a boyfriend who owned a butcher's shop. He brought home some tea towels which were commercial towels he used in the shop and which I still have to this day. They are indestructible. They must be nearly 15 years old now but they look as fresh as the day they were minted - they have no staining, have not faded or shrunk, wash easily, need minimal ironing and are as close to tea towel perfection as I can think of.
I don't suppose you have tried putting them in a rental property for a week ?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
CSE

Post by CSE »

Casscat,
You are now in Spain, no?
If so give some thoughts to businesses locally. There will be many suppliers to the likes of the hotel trade especially in Málaga.
And even if you cannot find them locally I bet you can find a local stores which are internationally based.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Casscat

Re: Tea Towels

Post by Casscat »

e-richard wrote:
Casscat wrote:I once had a boyfriend who owned a butcher's shop. He brought home some tea towels which were commercial towels he used in the shop and which I still have to this day. They are indestructible. They must be nearly 15 years old now but they look as fresh as the day they were minted - they have no staining, have not faded or shrunk, wash easily, need minimal ironing and are as close to tea towel perfection as I can think of.
I don't suppose you have tried putting them in a rental property for a week ?
If they survived being used in a butcher's shop plus 15 years of daily usage at home my guess is that they're fairly robust! :lol: At 90p a tea towel I'm not going to stress about casualties. The tea towels I currently have at the finca cost anything up to about £5 each which is potty really.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

casasantoestevo wrote:Casscat,
You are now in Spain, no?
If so give some thoughts to businesses locally. There will be many suppliers to the likes of the hotel trade especially in Málaga.
And even if you cannot find them locally I bet you can find a local stores which are internationally based.
I have done an internet search in Spanish but to be honest I'd rather buy something I know to be durable and of good quality based on experience rather than waste my money. As I mentioned in my opening post, I bought masses of tea towels for the finca when I was stocking up on all my linens but they were absolutely useless.
Martha

Post by Martha »

We have these which have lasted quite well - the grey ones have held up best
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70235533/
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix