How would you begin if you were starting now?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Tymawrfarm

How would you begin if you were starting now?

Post by Tymawrfarm »

Our barn (which should have been ready last June and STILL isn't finished!!!) should be ready for this season (the triumph of hope over experience). I've been reading through various threads about websites and booking sites etc and I am wondering, with the entry of AirBNB into the equation, whether it would be worth just using them? Or should we develop a good website with e.g. PIMS booking system and try other online booking sites too? There is a local online company (Wyevalleyholidaycottages) that has been recommended to us as a good place to list our place but I assume they will take a large chunk as a service charge. However might it be a gentler, helpful way to begin? The barn is quite luxurious and can sleep 10 people or be divided into a 6 or 4bed property. If you were starting out now, what would you do? What's the minimum I need to do? We have absolutely NO experience of holiday letting at all so far.

I realise this is quite a big question but would value your thoughts before I dive in head-first and regret at leisure.

Thanks. [/quote]
Wannabe holiday-letter
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I would be looking at the competition in the same area and seeing what I could do to provide something better. Do searches online and see where you think your property would fit into the current market.

To start with it's worth spending a fair bit on advertising. Airbnb may not produce much at first but is still worth considering along with many others. Again, check out your competition. Find out where they advertise. Look at their bookings. You could even be cheeky and send them some enquiries to get a feel for how they work. (Never plucked up the courage to do this myself)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It's a duplicate thread and needed deleting kev. Here's the one with answers on: viewtopic.php?t=25465
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Nemo wrote:It's a duplicate thread and needed deleting kev. Here's the one with answers on: viewtopic.php?t=25465
Oops never spotted that. Thanks Nemo