scam

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
roxytoo

scam

Post by roxytoo »

yeah right :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hello
Thanks for your response.Its okay by me.My niece's name is Williams and he is 26 years old Medical student of Universty of East London.she is responsile,neat,non-smoker and easy going.I want to pay for first month and deposit upfront before her arrival.I will send you my bank draft of 4000euro which i will write payable to your name which is cashabe in your bank.I am sending you that much money because my dad is very sick at the moment and i need to go out of town to take care of him and i need to go with all the money i have with me because i dont know how much money am going to spend for his hospital bill and take care of neccessary things.The bank draft is for europe which is cashable at your bank and its not cashable here in UK.I made promise to my cousin early this year that if she performs very well in her Final year exams in the University that am going to send her to the europe for her vacation.She has performed very well and i dont want to dissapoint her.So as soon as you receive the bank draft,take them to the bank and cash it,remove payment for first month and .Send the balance down here to my cousin through western union money transfer so he can buy his ticket and buy necessary things she will need because i will be away from town to take care of my dad because he is sick at the moment.My cousin has no problem sharing apartment with either a male, female or pets around.Send me your name, address and phone number so i can write the check payable to your name.

Hope to hear from you as soon as possible so i can send the check to you before i leave town to my dad's place
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Meishka

Well spotted.

My worry is that there are so many of these being sent that they must be getting some response from them or they wouldnt be doing it.
So someone is being ripped off.
Most of the websites Im on have managed to put a stop to them and I havent had many lately.
I just feel for the people who have been caught.
Regards
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Ros wrote:Hi Meishka

I just feel for the people who have been caught.
Hi Ros

I cannot feel sorry for anyone caught by this sort of scam, any more than those that think they can get their mortgage at 3%, that their bank has got an urgent security alert or that they can become irressistable to women with a few pills.

These things are the modern version of the three card trick that my father warned me of when I was a boy. Anybody that gets caught by them shouldn't be in business.

John
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Again John

I know what you mean but just because some people are naive and admittedly sometimes greedy I dont think its right that they should be conned.
Maybe they werent lucky enough to have a father who took the time to educate them about life[as you & I were.]

I seem to have an instinct about things & if it looks too good to be true it usually is.

My husband bought a newspaper once with a free scrathcard and[youve guessed it] he won a free holiday.
He wanted me to ring the number on the card and was quite annoyed that I wouldnt. to pacify him I told him to go and buy the newspaper again and if he hadnt won a holiday in that scrathcard I would ring . He came back & said he hadnt won a holiday hed won a new car.
I think he learnt a lesson as he hasnt mentioned winning again

Regards
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm feeling a bit left out as I haven't received one scam email yet!?

But...did anyone see that documentary (C4 I think) about crime in Nigeria and how peoples bank details etc had been taken off the hard drive of a computer they had thought they'd discarded in the Council waste area.
Seems the pc's hard drive ends up in Nigeria (via the council using recycling companies who do not completely clean the hard drive) the owners details are available to all.

Also they showed the type of set up that operate these scams. They look like internet cafes but the 'customers' are all using software to trawl at speed through the internet picking up email addys and then they send out these scams.
Sadly (as the nigerian police say) they wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't money being made.

Interestingly the most popular internet addys they trawled in the 'cafe' shown were yahoo.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Mouse, don't feel left out.

If you PM me your email, I'll forward the stuff we get straight on, fresh from Lagos, hot-off-the-press; hours of fun.

We're currently dealing with a future mother-in-law (deaf, 'dump' and recently widowed) booking accommodation and car hire for her lucky pair. We responded with 'you're a saint' and offering all three of them a free stay. Deafening silence.

I've caught on to the 'deaf and dump' thing - it means that it's no-go on the phone with them.

Goat
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Goat - I just knew that you're a kind, generous, caring, sharing type of person!?
Are you throwing in a free cow as well? (would they get it through customs!? :lol: )

Sadly I think Ibiza perhaps doesn't hold the same charm as the swiss alps. I must get my publicity dept. to target Nigeria... :lol:

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Vally

Post by Vally »

I had one the other day for "delegates for a conference" ... I live in a very tiny village so highly unlikely ..but for a bit of fun I emailed back and asked where the conference was to be held..the answer London!!!!!!! I emailed again that is 654 miles from here ..the answer ..I will get a taxi!!!!!!!!!!!I bailed out at that point.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

So nice to log on in the morning (OK so I got up late today) and have a good laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mimmsy

Things are hotting up again

Post by Mimmsy »

We'll having received dozens of these Christian conference scams over the years. I now have a policy to either dump them straight into the trash or just string them along for a couple of emails. The latest ones are quire consistent and ask you for accommodation that is about $4000 and to add the same amount again for car hire or some new laptops and mobiles.

Today it was someone asking me if I had 2 weeks availablility for his children. No no of children or any other info.

They obviously think we were born yesterday. I wonder if they actually do get any takers or they just do it to pass the time!

Last year I actually got a check for £7k from some company in the UK. I had to do a company search on the internet to get there number as there was no accompanying letter. Now who would send you a check for £7K without a letter attached. When I got through I was told it was a scam :shock: . It gets better here as they said that it was a fraud and their had been at least 50 of these cases. They asked me to send it back to them as it was a fraud and when I asked them to send me this in writting and supply their info, I never heard from them again. I could have followed this up and contacted the police but I bet they have hundreds of these every day!

Last year when I was in the UK and my car got broken into and my laptop etc were stolen they did not really bother with that either. Too much of this sort of thing going on.

Best thing to do is just ignore the whole business, you can usually spot these scams a mile off!
roxytoo

scam

Post by roxytoo »

nothing to do with this thread- apologies- just had a look at your place in Larnaca, fantastic, I used to live in Famagusta, ah sweet memories!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Mimsy

I think they must be getting some sort of payoff.
Or they wouldnt bother.I dont think its a Hobby.
Just because we spot them quite well and have this forum to reinforce our doubts & check with others, not everybody does sadly. :cry:

Did you see the entry from Mouse about the C4 programme.I think its Big Business there.

Regards
populuvivu

scam

Post by populuvivu »

Hello,

just to give you a scam i'v just received as an inquiry on my e-mail box via my advert on the website vacationvillas.net:
Here it is:

"Dear ...,

It would really interests me visiting France.I'm glad that I can pay with checks but there has been a slight delay of plans with my sponsor who is procuring the check payments.He is responsible for my expenses during the vacations that means,my flight reservations and accomodation and other expenses.

I wanted to secure accomodation before I making my travel arrangements which I guess is very reasonable so I don't get stranded in France.A cheque/money orders of 4,500 Euros (total sum of my expenses) would be issued to you.You will deduct the rent fee of my 5 nights stay from it when you get the payments and would appreciate you help me wire the balance to my travel agent over here in UK so that my flight ticket can be delivered to me and also would get my Travellers allowances .

Please,you can get the balance wired to the travel agent via (Western Union Money Transfer).

I will conpensate you with 100 Euros for your efforts and would truly appreciate your assistance.
I look forward to reading from you soon and have a wonderful rest of your day .Thank you and God bless.
Yours faithfully,

Jon Taylor Mcinturff"
Let's fight for the rights of corsican people.
Mimmsy

yahoo is a sure way to spot the scammers

Post by Mimmsy »

The same guy also contacted me through vacationvillas, copied below. I asked for payment of deposit by credit card and he said he said his sponsor did not have one and wanted my bank details. I did not bother to reply to him.

I've had quite a few of these this month. They come in waves, usually you can tell because of the bad English but sometimes it's very difficult to tell.

One way of checking is to see if they have a yahoo account, 9 times out of 10 they do. A sure way of recognising them is from yahoo or hotmail addresses.

Here is the email he sent me

Hi

Thanks for your prompt response.I'm glad that those dates are available.Please let me know if I can pay in advance with cashiers cheque or money order so I will instruct my sponsor to issue/mail you the cheque/money order because my client is meant to pay for my stay,my ticket and Flight bookings.If my request is ok with you,I'll appreciate you write to me the listed information:
1. Name that the cheque should be paid to,
2. Full address with postal code where the cheque should be mailed to
3. Your contact telephone number

I will forward these information to my sponsor and he can issue the Cheque or Money Orders to the name you want on the payment.Hope to read from you soon.Thank you.

Yours Faithfully,

Mr. Jon Taylor Mcinturff
populuvivu

Post by populuvivu »

Hello Mimmsy,

That's exactly what i've received from this guy.

Bye.
Let's fight for the rights of corsican people.