Gmail account wanted please

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Marion

Gmail account wanted please

Post by Marion »

I am having more and more trouble with my e-mails being undelivered via wanadoo.fr - with the notification typically coming 3 or 4 days after I send the e-mail.

I have been looking around for alternatives and from reading some of the posts it seems that gmail is good.

Could someone please send me an invite.

And a question - When using gmail can you integrate it into Outlook?

Thanks

Marion
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

marion, yes to both questions. PM me your email, and I'll send you an invite. I've had the same problem with a UK wanadoo address, but the wierd thing is it's only wanadoo webmail accounts (fsmail) that won't accept it.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Marion,
And a question - When using gmail can you integrate it into Outlook?
If by that you are wondering about automatic forwarding of messages to another e-mail account the answer is, Yes you can.

Alan
Vally

Post by Vally »

I have been using gmail since it started and apart from a few hiccups when it goes down (for only a few minutes) its been great , I have all my accounts forwarded to it...highly recommended!!
la vache!

Re: Gmail account wanted please

Post by la vache! »

Marion wrote:IAnd a question - When using gmail can you integrate it into Outlook?

Marion
Yes, it is easy to do, I have my wanadoo, gmail and website e mail address all configured in MS Outlook. There are instructions on the gmail help. That is the HUGE advantage of gmail to me - you don't need to access the account through a website, everything comes through Outlook.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I thought that the commercial battles against Wanadoo were a thing of the past. They certainly are for me - no problems in the last two or three months. Is it that the combination with Orange has stopped the petty nonesense of some other e-mail suppliers?

Another way of bringing all your e-mails together into one place is Mozilla Thunderbird. It really is good and it really does work and it is free.

Take a look at http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/ - you will be impressed.
Marion

Post by Marion »

Alan Knighting wrote:I thought that the commercial battles against Wanadoo were a thing of the past.
I have intermittent problems in the past but just lately it seems to be getting worse. e-mails to my son who is on hotmail were not getting through, and even an e-mail I sent to my own hotmail account so I could reply to someone else with a hotmail account did not get into my hotmail account. (did that make sense!)

I have now managed to set up my gmail account so hopefully these problems will now be a thing of the past.

Thank you all for your help.

Marion
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
debk

Post by debk »

Marion -

Hotmail is having tons of problems, including not delivering emails. In the worst of all email scenarios, hotmail's servers show the emails as "received" which means there is no bounce-back notice, i.e., the sender doesn't know it didn't get delivered and the receiver has no idea anything was sent to them.

It's been happening for quite a while and they have their best people working on it. :roll:

I've no experience with wanadoo, but gmail is great. It takes a few days to get used to but their feature for grouping emails within the same subject has allowed me to do some very nice organizational things with client emails. Enjoy!
debk
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I despair whenever I get enquiries and bookings from people with hotmail addresses now. Whenever I send through an attachment, the e mail never seems to get through, but I only find out about 5 days later. I now send 2 e mails, just to confirm that the first with the attachment got through OK.
alec

Post by alec »

Maybe it is to do with there live messenger for downloading attachments for the cell/mobile phone.
Which cant come soon enough.
Not condoning Microsoft at all
Badger

Post by Badger »

I am thinking of using gmail and would appreciate some advice please.
I started off with a yahoo account, which has always worked very well, but wishing to appear more professional with my rentals I then had my own website set up for me.
Accessing and receiving emails through my website email (which is on OE) has always been ok, until I accessed them whilst away from home and found it messy to use. I could open and read new messages only and couldnt access the existing messages that had been opened previously ie when I was at home.
I am due to go to Tenerife in a few weeks and need to have reliable email contact via my website as the next few months are the busiest for enquiries and existing booking queries.
I much prefer a web based account. If I opened a gmail account could both my yahoo and website email addresses be easily accessed, dealt with, referred back to and stored on gmail?
Sorry for such a long rambling posting.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Badger, yes, yes and yes, as long as you have the correct email settings from yahoo and your webmail. You can also attach labels to your mail to identify it as bookings, enquiries, etc. As for your old mail on your website, if you tick the box in OE propertiesto leave a copy of the mail on the server, it should leave a copy there. (Sorry I can't be more precise, as it's ages since I used OE).
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

HelenB

as long as you have the correct email settings from yahoo and your webmail

Is it quite that simple? I assume that's making sure that yahoo and the webmail is forwarded to gmail? Or can gmail be plugged into yahoo and (conventional) webmail (using IMAP or Pop3)?

Also, having forwarded to one's gmail account, it's important to make sure that the email address you appear to be replying from is correct (i.e. choice of gmail, yahoo or webmail)?

MGoat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

But MG, you can do that in your settings, in the accounts tab, just select 'reply from the same address the mail was sent to' . Easy. You should be able to forward your mail from your websitr to your gmail account, and if you want forward gmail to your Outlook Express if necessary. Not sure about yahoo, I couldn't forward my wanadoo account for some reason.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh, thanks, HelenB, will investigate that.

I have to admit that I'm becoming totally converted to GMail. It's fun looking at the auto-ads down the right-hand side, and what they pick up from our e-mails - sometimes relevant, sometimes laughably nothing to do with what's written. And I'm discovering new gadgets every day. No smilies though - got a stern letter from their tech. dept. saying no-one else had asked for them and not planned.

And have you used Chat? The day disappears like a river......

Also the visible image thumbnails are useful - I don't get that in my current system.

MG