Docking stations for Tablets/IPod etc

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Albert's quite perplexed

Docking stations for Tablets/IPod etc

Post by Albert's quite perplexed »

I've been looking into the possibility of providing a 'Universal' docking rack for guests to be able to charge up their electronic gadgetry all in one convenient place. Something along this line:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avantree-Univer ... FVNXV2GQDA

At the moment, I just provide four gang extensions for people to charge up their phones, kindles, tablets, etc, but it's not a very tidy system with their electronic stuff put on charge on any available surface, often on the floor. Guests seem to have so much gadgetry these days and although the cottage has a decent amount of sockets, it's never enough.

Do any LMHs provide any system for their guests to charge up through a Universal docking system? IPod dock, etc?

I wouldn't mind supplying something, but am a bit leery about someone using an incompatible port with the net result of a damaged piece of kit and me picking up the fallout.

I'd appreciate your thoughts/experiences.
Life is a deck of cards... read 'em and weep
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I simply provide some USB chargers that can be used with their own cables and a few UK to Euro power adapters. I don't think they've ever been used as guests always bring their own but they often take home the plug adapters.

Note: The charger you link to is only 22W, 4.5A for 4 devices. If you were buying that it would be worth going for a higher power one as many devices need 2A for charging.
Fifi

Post by Fifi »

I don't supply anything like that (other than a couple of 4 gang extension leads).

I assume that guests bring their own chargers etc, and given the sensitive nature of Apple stuff, I am wary of generic chargers because apparently they can kill your ipad/iphone/ipod ...... And I suspect it is something that would 'walk' at regular intervals.

However we have a basket of chargers etc in our house, so if anyone has forgotten theirs, they are welcome to borrow one.
People who arrive after 10pm, shouldn't expect a hug.....
Annew

Post by Annew »

Judging by the amount of chargers that get left behind in my cottages, I would think that most people take their own these days.

Personally, I wouldn't use a non-apple charger for my i-pad or i-phone.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I used to supply an apple one but with apple constantly changing their connectors it become obsolete. I don't bother now. I always take my own. I also now think there's too much risk of it disappearing, breaking or potentially being blamed if it somehow caused damage to their device?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Albert's quite perplexed

Goodness me :roll:
I'm a bit bewildered by 'how to post' using quotes.
I'll give it another go...
:oops:
Last edited by Albert's quite perplexed on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert's quite perplexed

Note: The charger you link to is only 22W, 4.5A for 4 devices. If you were buying that it would be worth going for a higher power one as many devices need 2A for charging.
Thanks so much for that useful info, kevs. I don't possess much in the way of electronic devices (or technical know-how), so I'm glad I asked the question, your reply was really helpful.
I am wary of generic chargers because apparently they can kill your ipad/iphone/ipod ...
Thank you Fifi - that was another one of my big concerns.

Having thought it all through again, I think what I'll do is provide a decent quality 'organisation station' - that way, guests will have a dedicated area to charge up their devices with their own ports and cables.
This one looks as if it has all the compartments for guests to keep their kit and charging ports in one convenient place and make it easy for them to keep all their stuff accessible. I'll provide black four gang extensions to help keep the aesthetics smart.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charging-EasyAc ... QNNCR6MEVM
It's a bit pricey, but if the guests find it convenient to use, it's got to be better than the poor souls tripping over charging cables on the floor, or their dog/kids accidentally stamping on the gadgetry.

Muchos gracias, amoebas!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I would be inclined to cater for the industry standard and at least leave a spare micro USB charger or better still, an adapter that takes any cable. As for Apple, well they don't follow any standards but their own so I don't bother with them :lol:

This is what I use:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORICO-DCP-6-P ... SwDk5UKsad

Not as neat as a device with slots but my power tools and headphones can't use slots anyway.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

For what it's worth, I have a few double sockets with integrated USB sockets.

I also leave a few Micro USB cables in a drawer. They cost £1 each and in a year I've only lost one.

We have Bluetooth radios for streaming audio.

I don't see the merit in bespoke docking as it'll only go out of fashion and use soon.
Annew

Post by Annew »

edinburgh wrote:
Apologies for the thread creep - but could you tell me what make of Bluetooth radio you have Edinburgh - I'm researching some for the cottages and wondered if you had a recommendation

Creep over :oops:
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Annew wrote:
edinburgh wrote:
Apologies for the thread creep - but could you tell me what make of Bluetooth radio you have Edinburgh - I'm researching some for the cottages and wondered if you had a recommendation

Creep over :oops:
No problem. I have one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/August-MB400G ... Swr81USkWA in each bedroom - except mine have a red trim, not blue.

These are exceptional pieces of equipment for the price. The sound is great, and it sets the time / tuning via DAB itself automatically. It's easy to link a Bluetooth device such as a phone to it, and if the phone supports it, there is even NFC so allow it to pair by touch.

It's solid, feels robust - I cannot speak more highly of it :)

It also comes with a cable for headphone sockets, so you can play old CD/MP3 players through it.

No complaints from guests about not having a special iPhone dock - people seem to like these just fine!
Annew

Post by Annew »

Thanks Edinburgh - they look perfect!
Albert's quite perplexed

Thanks again everyone for your kind replies. Kevs- I have copied you and gone for something similar to the Orico charging hub after reading your post because that looks like a decent piece of kit.

Now I'm after picking all your collective brains again - you'll have to forgive me, but I'm on a bit of a roll now...
It's high time I upgraded my old music system in the cottage. The current gear is an old midi hi-fi system and the footprint is quite big. Although the sound is nice, it's really outdated and clunky.

I would like something user friendly and multi functional, with a smaller footprint, so that I can use the freed up space on the unit from the old hi-fi to put the organising station and the desktop hub together with a new audio system so it all looks clean and uncluttered.
I want something that will play CDs, plus have the facility for folk to play the music stored on their gadgets if they want to.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-DCM2055 ... 7EV3EMDQRB

This thing looks like it ticks the right boxes and has a small footprint, but as I am a perpetual dinosaur when it comes to new stuff, I haven't a clue.

I expect most of my guests look at my old hi-fi like it's out of the Ark, but are too polite to say.
Nevertheless, I don't want to provide something that will have them scratching their heads on how to operate it, and I didn't want to spend a lot on top of the range stuff, because it'll probably get abused at some stage. You know how it is.
As always, would be grateful for your comments, or tips on what you currently provide that seems to work well.

You gotta laugh - the budgetting for this upgraded kit will be coming out of the money saved now I can't give the guests a bottle of wine as a gift along with their welcome pack - I ignored that one as long as I could, but now, along with having to have safety eyelets preventing people hanging themselves from the roller blind strings, it's time I had a re-vamp. Might as well try and make at least some of it 'Music to their Ears..' :lol:
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Do people still use CDs?

If you also need some better sound for your TV have a look at bluetooth soundbars.

Before I started renting I removed my home cinema equipment from the apartment because it was too much clutter and too complex to use. I'm thinking of putting in a simple soundbar as nearly every renter brings a smartphone, tablet, laptop or they use my provided PC. (I see them connected to the router)

eg.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-HT-CT80-Ch ... h+soundbar
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

If I want to play CDs now, I just put them in my DVD player and play them through the soundbar.