Docking stations for Tablets/IPod etc

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Albert's quite perplexed

Post by Albert's quite perplexed »

Again, thanks for your input..
Yes, some of my guests use the CD player using discs from the library - the audio books and some classical albums seem popular, especially with my lovely 'older' couples.
Many of my guests have tablets, e-readers and phones, all of which need charging up, (and hopefully I've got that covered now, thanks to LMH's kind replies and advice).

I'm really not au fait with how the latest technology actually works, and the last thing I want is for some poor guest forever tapping on the door (I'm on site) to ask for help on how to use a piece of kit that neither they nor I are familiar with, so it all has to be pretty intuitive for them, and for me when I leave instructions. That CD player also supports several other functions for audio which hopefully will cover the basics if they've got MP3 players or Ipod.

I have had guests in the past, who, when attempting to insert a DVD into a TV with an integral DVD player, have somehow managed to bypass the tray, jamming the disc into the mechanism and rendering the whole thing useless, and I haven't found out until changeover and the next guests complained that the "DVD isn't working," so I really, really need to keep things uncomplicated. I got through several TVs with integral DVD before I learned.
Even a simple soundbar might be too much for some peeps even if they know how their iPod works.
Life is a deck of cards... read 'em and weep
Annew

Post by Annew »

kevsboredagain wrote:Do people still use CDs?
Having musicians in the house, we still use vinyl!

Judging by the number of CDs that guests leave behind, I would suggest a lot of people do, particularly (no ageism intended) older guests.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Gary2604

Post by Gary2604 »

You could consider an all in one option. A docking charging point with DAB radio....CD player. Of course allows guest to play any music on their IPhone/Pads through the system as well.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/DCB2272_05 ... sic-system

Thought it was a neat solution so bought one of these ourselves. It has both the old and new type of connector for the IPhone as well. Picked one up on EBay for £55!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Gary2604 wrote:You could consider an all in one option. A docking charging point with DAB radio....CD player. Of course allows guest to play any music on their IPhone/Pads through the system as well.

Thought it was a neat solution so bought one of these ourselves. It has both the old and new type of connector for the IPhone as well. Picked one up on EBay for £55!
But only for Apple users which is less than 50% of the market now.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Most of them also allow you to connect another audio device via Audio-In, although of course they will not charge them.
Gary2604

Post by Gary2604 »

kevsboredagain wrote:
Gary2604 wrote:You could consider an all in one option. A docking charging point with DAB radio....CD player. Of course allows guest to play any music on their IPhone/Pads through the system as well.

But only for Apple users which is less than 50% of the market now.
It has a standard audio input to connect other music players as well as, if I remember correctly, a USB connection which I assume could also charge other devices.
Albert's quite perplexed

Post by Albert's quite perplexed »

Thanks, all....
Ended up buying one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-DCM2055 ... r-mr-title
Used a CD to test out the sound, and was really impressed, so have got rid of the old hi-fi, which was beginning to look more and more like a coffin..

However, when the VB inspector came round and pointed out that I should install safety control things for the roman blinds (apparently someone could strangle themselves) even though said blinds are about four feet off the ground in a deeply recessed window.... and I need to start leaving "Allergy Advice" notification on the scones I home bake as part of the welcome pack I leave for guests, I'd probably be better hanging onto said coffin; may be needing it for a purpose it wasn't originally designed for :!:

Not sure whether I should hang onto it for self harming guests or save myself a job and bundle the inspector in it.
Life is a deck of cards... read 'em and weep
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Sorry to go off topic, but that's the sort of bullshit that stops me from getting involved in any rating schemes.

It really annoys me. I have coeliac disease, which means I cannot eat anything with gluten in - gluten free is a term you hear a lot thanks to fad dieters, but for some of us, it's really important.

Anyway, if someone left a tray of scones on the kitchen table, I wouldn't for one moment assume "oh, these must be gluten free", since it's highly unlikely they are. I would thank you, then feed them to my partner. If it's something that may be gluten free, I'll ask you.

In any case, I realise it's unreasonably to expect to be catered for unless I've mentioned it beforehand, so I appreciate the gesture.

There is no way someone with any allergy or intolerance that matters would just scoff them without concern.

It's this sort of bullshit that drives people to say "Sod it,I'll just not make any", and then *everyone* loses out.

Rant over :)

(and certainly not a rant at you - just a rant at requirements and red tape that spoil things for other people)
Gary2604

Post by Gary2604 »

+1