Ikea kitchens??

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Paul Carmel

Ikea kitchens??

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hello,

How have they done over the years of punter abuse? If you have any of the integrated appliances, have you had to replace any?? The nice wood work surfaces look like they will stain or get burnt quite easily, am I wrong?
Cheers
PC
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

Hi PC

We have ikea kitchens in all of our rental properties - 2 have been in for 2 years and the 3rd is just being installed. All integrated appliances (dishwasher, oven, extractor and fridges) have performed well to date with no breakdowns. We bought non-ikea hobs and worksurfaces though.

The only real negative I can think of is the waste trap on the sink - they are not great, far too shallow!

Try to buy when they have an offer on, but they are pretty good value whenever you buy them.

Good luck
Grimmy
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

Ikea changed their kitchen range about 2 or 3 years ago. I've personally installed new and old versions.

I've never liked their real wood worktops due to their choice of timber, but I've installed one. Very thirsty it was, but absolutely fine once it had enough coats of oil.

The foil-covered mdf doors are eventually damaged by steam from dishwashers and ovens. Even so, in the most exposed locations I would expect 5 years at least before the damage becomes apparent and 10 years before they get ugly. There is a guarantee (I think I remember 20 years) so you can get them replaced free.

What I don't like is the shape of the units since the range was changed. The wall units have gone from 700 and 900 high to 600 and 800 and the floor units now have gone 100mm taller which is compensated for by thinner plinths and thinner worktops. To me, the proportions of the new range look wrong. It's probably just me though. On the plus side, the top line drawers are now deep enough to actually put things inside!

I've never seen any problems with the carcasses, despite plenty of spills and leaks.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thank you both........
Cheers
PC
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Not sure if you are in the UK but we always fit Howdens kitchens, big advantage in that the carcasses come ready assembled not flat pack. Also always have freestanding white goods, I know it doesn't look as pretty but when you need to swop a dishwasher over at short notice, with guests in, so so much easier.
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

+1 for Howdens. Good quality, good range of doors in modern & classic designs. Only available to tradespeople (at about 70% off the "retail" price list they have lying around) but our (excellent) joiners passed their discount on to us.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Ikea kitchen come without the services gap at the back so services have to be run in the cabinet and any plumbing leakage will therefore end the cabinets life earlier.
If the walls are not flat or true this can make fitting harder as you can't adjust the back of the cabinet you can only pack them forwards and you can run out of worktop width. Ikea worktops seem to come in funny lengths suitable for people to put in their cars so more ugly joints. Buy worktops elsewhere up to 4m long.

No point in asking people about the life of their kitchens as older versions may well be good because the carcasses were made much better in those days, real melamine and not a thin paper facing on softer board that will dent with a thumbnail.

Howdens do several ranges and the quality varies with the cost, the cheaper ones are ok but their more expensive versions far better, they are a complete rip off for hinge packs etc so better bought elsewhere if you need extra. Why would you need extra? some cabinets like half height over cooker ones have only one sprung hinge and if you don't like getting hit on the back of the hand or head fit 2.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Ben McNevis wrote:On the plus side, the top line drawers are now deep enough to actually put things inside!
Hooray, at last!! Have had several Ikea kitchens in rentals and at home and they've all been fab (except for the pitiful top drawers). Have got an Ikea (Whirlpool) dishwasher that's still going strong after at least 10 years :)
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
pete

Post by pete »

Our Ikea dishwasher broke at one month after guarantee and the hob looks very well used now, but mind our kitchen is nearly industrial !

But after being well oiled the wooden work tops are lovely, we have tiles around the sink and hob and dishwasher 2 which is a Siemens still runs well
waterwitch

Post by waterwitch »

We've got Ikea kitchens in both our rentals and at home - they've been fantastic and when we've had the odd mishap (someone left the grill on and damaged adjacent cupboard door) we were able to go out and buy a replacement straight away. All Ikea integrated appliances too, and again, 9 and 7 year's in, all are still going strong and still look fresh. I would agree sinks are not the best they are too shallow for some reason!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

kyreniagirl wrote:Not sure if you are in the UK but we always fit Howdens kitchens, big advantage in that the carcasses come ready assembled not flat pack. Also always have freestanding white goods, I know it doesn't look as pretty but when you need to swop a dishwasher over at short notice, with guests in, so so much easier.
If all goes well it will be in Palma Mallorca.
Cheers
PC
enid

Post by enid »

I have an Ikea kitchen with some fitted units and my old Varde free standing units. They have wooden tops and periodically I sand them down and re oil them. We have an Ikea electric oven and induction hob which have been great too. I like Ikea design and quality for price and when mixed with other no ikea itens look great
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Paul, hope all goes well with you.

We installed an Ikea kitchen with Ikea hob/oven in our newly-converted four-bed gite in 2006 (and, following a disastrous flood, had to do it again in 2007). When we sold in 2014, the kitchen had stood up well to hard use (although the sink did get regularly blocked as Grimmy mentioned) and was still fit for purpose.

We've recently replaced the existing Ikea kitchen in our new house with the updated version of the same, reasoning that we'd rather spend our dwindling resources on holidays. Of course, a few visitors say "Oh, Ikea is it" in the same voice they use when they've trodden in dog-poo, but we'll be happy to raise a glass to them when we're relaxing in some tropical paradise.

Ikea stuff comes at a good price and all the flat packs for a big kitchen will fit into a car and trailer. If you arrive early at the store, you get breakfast for a euro and - best of all - you can watch fellow customers loading huge flat packs into their tiny Twingos whilst you're eating your lunchtime meatballs in the upstairs canteen.
Jim
enid

Post by enid »

We have an Ikea sofa that is easily recognisable and I am always considering replacing it but it is comfortable, has removable washable covers and I like the look of it so why spend money just sompeoepl won't think I shop at Ikea? My freestanding kitchen elements are Varde but sadlybthey have disccontinued that range which is a solid as can be.

In the UK on our first project we decided to but top of range kutchen and bathroom and had so many problems we voed never to do it again. Avtbour last house here in France we had a kitchen made and the doors were real wood butvthe carcasses looked just like Ikea so we decided to go Ikea this time and we can always change the fronts.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

All good to know! When did our last place we did mix of Ikea and other stuff (not the Kit, hence the questions), and if punter a mentioned it in patronizing way, Nicky would say "good, I am glad we have the same taste".
Cheers
PC