Ikea kitchens??

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

we've just replaced the kitchen in our apartment with one from the new Metod range. Not without its problems, but that was mainly due to the kitchen fitter (i.e. hubby) being poorly during the week we had allocated to go and install it. We had no problems with the plumbing, perhaps as the kitchen installed previously also had no service space at the back. More roomy cupboards than before. My only concern is that I think it looks a bit too modern and high tech.
A recent guest had a problem with our shoe rack, we think because they put something heavy on it, or even sat on it and the centre joint cracked. It was apparently because we had installed 'cheap Ikea' in the apartment. It is one of the only things we haven't bought there.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Hulsta, like Ikea but made properly :lol:
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

We fitted 2 ikea kitchens and appliances in our villa and adjacent barn in Italy. The kitchens have been fine but I will be changing the worktops at the end of this season to the granite/stone type and replace the kick boards.

The appliances - in the villa the whirlpool large FF and Dishwasher have been repaired many times. Thank goodness for the 5 year warranty. I can't be 100% sure if it is guest use or the appliances ie FF don't like their doors to be left open for long periods of time and dishwashers usually need salt in hard water areas. The appliances in the barn Ikea Dishwasher, 5 burner cooker and small fridge have all worked perfectly.

Having said all of the above, I would buy their appliances again - the repair service is very efficient and the 5 year warranty exceptional.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Our oven has been there 3 years now, and is fine. It is also easy to clean, even though it doesn't have any self-cleaning liners or anything swish. The new induction hob is also from Ikea. Have to say I'm impressed with it.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thanks Helen, Nicky's coming round to the idea of a induction hob.
We have always had gas, even on the boat, mind you it gives me sleepless nights, over the years we must have seen 3 maybe 4 boats go up in flames all of them have been because of gas failures of one kind or another, so I am quite keen.
Cheers
PC
enid

Post by enid »

I love my Ikea induction hob but Kevin hates it
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I don't have the option of gas in the apartment, and one of the problems with living at alitude is things are slow to boil, and boiling point is lower. We bought an induction hob with a power boost, and it doesn't half speed things up. I can also keep things simmering very slowly which I never could with the normal ceramic hob we had before
enid

Post by enid »

The power boost is an excellent feature
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

Super useful posts and thoughts as usual. We're about to have our kitchen replaced and I think this thread seals it. A quote from our go to builder / Howdens and one from Ikea it is.
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

Hi,
We have an ikea kitchen in our rental house, it was installed in 2002 and still looks great! It has the same integrated fridge and oven, still working fine! (Whirlpool)
The only thing I don't like about it is the doors close quite sharply, if they could introduce a slow release drawer and door system it would be great (but maybe they have since 2002 ;)
We also fitted an Ikea kitchen in a flat we had for a few years before selling on. In each case everything was fitted by competent joiners and not us, that probably made all the difference !!!
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

Hi,
We have an ikea kitchen in our rental house, it was installed in 2002 and still looks great! It has the same integrated fridge and oven, still working fine! (Whirlpool)
The only thing I don't like about it is the doors close quite sharply, if they could introduce a slow release drawer and door system it would be great (but maybe they have since 2002 ;)
We also fitted an Ikea kitchen in a flat we had for a few years before selling on. In each case everything was fitted by competent joiners and not us, that probably made all the difference !!!
We are all electric and have induction hobs in both our main home and the rental, I had no problems adapting. Ok it's not gas but it's "tout comme", just as good!
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I have put in 9 Ikea kitchens since 2003 - 7 the old FAKTUM range and 2 of the new METOD range. As you can imagine, I'm a bit of a fan, otherwise I would have moved to a different range!!

I have two bug bears (which have already been mentioned):
They have changed the sizes of the carcasses - which means that I can no longer change cupboard doors on the FAKTUM range.
There is no pipe space behind the cabinets, which can cause a problem with the new units being so close to the floor, if you need a long waste pipe run (max 10cm high)

I have some appliances from Ikea and some independent ones : my experience is that it's all much of a muchness.

As for wear, they do well (I've never had wooden worktops, always the standard ones or made to measure) They get heavy usage in my gites, and I'm very happy with the quality.

The other BIG plus is that one of the first ones that I fitted was a range that got withdrawn due to a durability problem (this is not their reason, but mine - lacquer splitting most of the doors). I called in my (then) 10 year guarantee after 3 years - they were brilliant - no quibbles, even delivering replacement doors to me, rather than me collecting.

I think this is one big reason which I remain an Ikea fan
:D
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The new units do have soft close doors and drawers.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

HelenB wrote:The new units do have soft close doors and drawers.
The more modern old ones did, too.

Post by Guest »

I have an ikea for my kitchen appliances. But I just bought it recently, hopefully it will turn out good.