Why dont you all contribute to a renters blacklist

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
mario

Why dont you all contribute to a renters blacklist

Post by mario »

On this website then we can all see at a glance whether they will be the renters from hell again and avoid them.
levelsteps

Re: Why dont you all contribute to a renters blacklist

Post by levelsteps »

mario wrote:On this website then we can all see at a glance whether they will be the renters from hell again and avoid them.
It would be only on the opinion of one member of LMH. If the details were posted, would that then be considered libel?
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Don't things have to be untrue for them to be libel? (Just dredging up dim distant memories of the legal side of my Company Secretarial studies many years ago).
mario

Post by mario »

Yes surely its only an opinion,you dont have to put addresses in as that could be got by PMing their last victim.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

You'd have to figure out some way of identifying them without identifying them, and be very objective about it, i.e. don't post after they've just left your property, etc.

But it still feels wrong to me. I'm thinking of a family with three kids where the youngest drew all over the walls with marker, broke one of the beds jumping on it, and pierced the pool liner with flippers. And the family broke six dishes, wrenched the door off the washer due to not reading the instructions, and left the property three hours late and filthy.

Terrible, but kids grow up, people make mistakes and resolve not to make them again, and so forth. Should this family be blacklisted for life?
Brooke
mario

Post by mario »

No they should not be blacklisted but at the end of the day its your property and your decision whether you want them in your property.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

vrooje wrote: Should this family be blacklisted for life?
Let's just say I hope they never book with me!!!!!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

nor me!!!!!!!!

Vrooge - how did you keep your cool over all that damage!? Or did they own up and apologise?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
sunny by nature

Post by sunny by nature »

Much as I would love a system like this to exist, I don't think I would be comfortable contributing to it.

We've had some "difficult" guests, but they are more than balanced out by the really lovely guests. I might feel like beheading some people at the time, but after a couple of days this feeling has definitely faded to something more positive, like "I must tighten up procedure here", or "I'm not going to supply that again, because it's more trouble than it's worth".

Furthermore, there are so many rental properties available that it is really unlikely that my guests from 2006 will visit anyone else on the forum in 2007, unless they return to the same area time after time. In which case, it would probably be better just to get to know the forum members with properties in my local area on a personal basis and swap stories with them.

Most of the time it's a numbers game, it's not a matter of completely avoiding difficult guests, more a matter of learning how to deal with them properly. This forum has been so good for me for this - thanks all!
it's life Jim but not as we know it
paolo

Re: Why dont you all contribute to a renters blacklist

Post by paolo »

mario wrote:On this website then we can all see at a glance whether they will be the renters from hell again and avoid them.
Not on this website!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

This is something I have mentioned before, but, as was pointed out at the time, to post it on a public forum would be slander.

A 3rd party register where you could lodge complaints and other owners could make a decision as to whether they wish to take the booking might work, in fact I would be glad to pay a few bob to access such information, so it could be a money maker for someone, any takers?? mind you as it's my idea I think a lifetime free trial might be in order.........over to the legal eagles me thinks
Cheers
PC
A-two

Post by A-two »

No thanks, count me out.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Not a good idea. What is a good guest for one, may be bad for another. Many of us have had bad feelings about guests which have turned out correct, others have been unfounded.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paul,

Count me out as well.

For the record, the words are not synonymous. Verbal abuse is slander and written abuse is libel.

Alan
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

We cant All get rid of the bad guests ,what would we all have to talk about :!: :wink: