Why dont you all contribute to a renters blacklist

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

I think it would go against the Data Protection Act or 'il Privacy' as it is affectionately known here in Italy.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Mouse, don't worry, I haven't had a client like the example I mentioned. I just thought back to some of the horror stories I've heard from others on the forum, and compiled a bunch of careless-but-not-malicious damage into one hypothetical family.

My point was just that even the worst guest may have just been having a bad week.

Even if it were perfectly legal, I think it's still a very messy, tricky, nasty subject, so I'd rather not participate. Knowing that Paolo could get into serious trouble if we were to post something like that here (for example) just seals the deal for me.
Brooke
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I wouldn't be interested - I'm sure that there are professional complainers and genuine antisocial people, but for a lot of people, what is a problem in one property may not be in another. You can't please all of the people all of the time.
When I was a student, I spent the summer working in the Vendée in France for a well known tent/caravan campsite company and the company had it's own blacklist, but it wasn't shared throughout the industry. There weren't many people who made it onto the list - I remember an Irishman who defecated in his tent prior to leaving as the only case of blacklisting during my time there.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Ok I can see that many people don't see eye to eye on this one......But, what I was thinking was if there was a central register where we as owners could lodge a complaint, other owners could see this complaint and judge it for themselves and make a discussion as to whether they take the booking or not. Yes there are born complainers, but I think we all can see the wood from the trees.

I see the point that some families would suit other properties better than others, but come on, if a certain family is known for being dirty and has no respect for anything let alone you, the property or the next guest, ( if you have not had one of these believe me you will) surely it would be useful to know.

I know for a fact that the major companies operating in Corsica have a black list, and that information is about the only thing they do share as at most times they are at war trying to nick staff or other properties off each other.

The bottom line is sometimes we feel completely shafted, and there is bugger all we can do about it........Surely we should be able to protect ourselves, and this would be a small step towards this.

I should stop remembering the bad guests and celebrating the good ones, which thankfully are the majority!
Cheers
PC
anmar1

bad guests

Post by anmar1 »

Hello, I think the every now and then bad guests are unavoidable like a bad flu.
We have been almost lucky up to now, with an exception, on last September .. we had a small group of people, even if the agency gave them the time of arrival, our phone number, the right instruction to arrive... the did not phone either to the agency or to us, they arrive at 1.am well past arrival time ( we were since we do not live on the property) and instead of calling, going to an hotel... the just broke in and enter one of the apartment.... but that is not all, the manage during they stay to broke few beautiufl glass candle older, to break on apartment lock, so we had to use a drill to enter, they made a mess of the whole palce, and when at the end i made them pay and extra fee for damages, they had the courage to complain... likily they were the only one so bad, i hope I never meet someone like them again.

:twisted:
Anna
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Anna, sorry to hear about your bad experience with such disrespectful guests! :cry:

These type of guests are very rare so hope this does not put you off renting such a beautiful property with so much history and in such a wonderful location!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Anna, :D
It does seem a shame that you had to have these sort of people..as Crystal says they are the exception...we all have had similar ...but luckily the Good far outway the Bad & the Ugly...
[doesnt stop us moaning at the time and it does help then to get a forum hug] so remember were all here in the same boat??!! :lol:
Bella

Post by Bella »

The complaint of the guest, on some form of forum, could be considered one sided. What if they had a complaint of one of us? Do they have a forum to air their grievences of an owner? Would we like that?
No opportunity to respond to the curcumstances on those forums?

Tina
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't think there is anything stopping people who stay in rental accommoation accessing this forum if they choose to -or even voicing a complaint (hopefully it wouldn't relate to any of our places!) On one of the ex pat forums for France there are people who post complaints/suggestions in the gite owners forum - here
and here are some recent examples, although they are France specific. I find them quite interesting as you get the view of frequent renters as well as the owners.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Just read the first complaint by renters, and was disappointed to learn the owners were Brits. I had this silly notion that Brit gite standards were higher than some overall. :?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Both complaints refer to Brit owners!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Oh dear, I'm in La-La land! Well, let's hope these owners are very few and far between, as I'd hate to think we're being given a bad name.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
anmar1

hello

Post by anmar1 »

thank you to yo all for your sympathy.
Luckily guests like that, are seldome met... and about complaint about owners... well there are some places where they do..( slowtrave... is one of them)... it is interesting to read them... you learn what you should never do.
But again when you treat your house with love, you would expect if not the same love, some respect for your hard work.
Ciao to you all.

After a hard year of working I am going on holiday for a week...and guess what I am going to stay in a nice Spa, I do not what to think about houses at least fo a whole week..new years eve is coming and again is working time.

a presto

Anna
Anna
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Susan,

Your post makes riveting reading.....
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

On this site the complaints are mostly about the big package tour operators. They also have a section for DIY holidays, so I guess it wont be long.

holidaytruths.co.uk
Cheers
PC