OWNER NEEDING TO CANCEL A BOOKING 4 DAYS FROM CHECK-IN

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Gordo

OWNER NEEDING TO CANCEL A BOOKING 4 DAYS FROM CHECK-IN

Post by Gordo »

Would very much appreciate any advice on this please...

I have a booking (Spain) due to start this coming Saturday 23rd and have a major problem with our front door. It needs a new locking mechanism and it's very much touch and go as to whether I'll be able to source a replacement before Saturday, hence I'd much prefer to come clean now and advise guests to look for something elsewhere. I don't have any backup plan with another owner for mutual benefit but I'm learning fast!

I spent most of yesterday on it, along with a local locksmith, thought it was sorted then this morning same thing happened (key gets stuck when turning then can't get key out or open door). Only other entrance is via garage in basement but it's completely impractical as an alternative.

Booking is through HA (pay per booking) so they currently have all the money including security deposit. I haven't alerted guest yet but will do so in next few hours to give me a little time to offer some suggestions as alternatives.

Questions..

1. Will HA refund in full or will they clobber me for the commission anyway? (I fear I know the answer but would be nice to hear otherwise!).

2. My rental terms as accepted included being "subject to vacant possession" and state a full refund will be given but "no further liability will be accepted". Does anyone think I could or should be doing any more for the guest than has been mentioned so far?

3. Have I missed anything?

May as well mention the door on the off chance someone here may have had similar experience. It's manufactured by "Dierre" an Italian company and they have branches in France, Spain, Portugal, Germany & Poland. Uses a big fancy key to turn 4 bolts into the side frame and one bolt on top. Door is steel construction with 6mm veneered finish each side. Lock isn't something you'd see in the average ferreteria up the road hence my timing issue with sourcing replacement.

Any responses appreciated, thanks in anticipation ;)

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Gordo, as I thought and having checked, I have a dierre front door too and had a similar problem years ago and got locked out one evening whilst with my mum and daughter!

It transpires there is some sort of security setting on the lock barrel and if the external key lock is not correctly aligned when inserting the key it won't open and the door locks fast. The first time it happened we changed the lock then it happened again.

Off the top of my head you need to have the outside spinning part of the lock barrel set either vertically or horizontally, sorry I can't be more helpful but I'm in the uk so can't try it but that's what it is I'm sure, the lock alignment is the problem. We ended up putting a blob of nail varnish on the lock to mark the position.

I'll check my arrival pack, I think I might have a mention of it there, strangely I'm not sure if we had a problem since
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

Thanks Sam, isn't it strange the feeling of comfort one gets where they know someone else has been deep in the mire also?!!! (that's directed at myself not you!)

That's good news (sound like there's probably no merit in buying another lock)... and bad news.. because the whole door in question has never really been aligned properly (since new in 2008). When it's closed the top of the door shows a gap of about 5mm compared to the flush bottom, hence we've always had to pull the handle slightly when locking or unlocking.

For the average door it would be simply a case of moving the top hinge 5mm but there's no access to move those hinges in or out (only up and down via allen bolts in each hinge). Stripped door down to a shell yesterday and there are no access panels near the hinges and no way into the steel door jamb either.

I'll ask locksmith to call place in Madrid and see if their techies can advice anything. Thanks again for the info really appreciate it.

Gordo

Post by Gordo »

Sam, hope you don't mind I've just pm'd you re specifics about the lock as I'm sure it doesn't make for interesting reading for others!

e-richard

Re: OWNER NEEDING TO CANCEL A BOOKING 4 DAYS FROM CHECK-IN

Post by e-richard »

Gordo wrote:..
2. My rental terms as accepted included being "subject to vacant possession" and state a full refund will be given but "no further liability will be accepted". Does anyone think I could or should be doing any more for the guest than has been mentioned so far?
This is just my opinion, but I feel you should try to source an alternative property yourself. Then you can write to the guest with a plan that they can then accept or reject (and search themselves).

No matter what your T&Cs say and no matter that it was totally outside your control, as a guest, I'd be mighty unpleased to receive this news and anything you can do to soften the blow will help.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

where abouts are you in spain?
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Impractical or not, I would be offering him the alternative basement/garage entrance with a profuse apology and a small refund for the inconvenience. If it were me arriving on Saturday I would not be best pleased to find my accommodation had changed to somewhere else just a few days before( assuming you can find somewhere equal or better than yours). I would far rather be in the place I had carefully chosen. And I guess if not done by Friday, then you would probably be able to fix it early next week?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

+1
teapot

Post by teapot »

If that locksmith can't sort it don't waste your time having them back they are useless. It sounds from your pretty good description that the door and Frame are badly fitted and the lock is binding in the keep. Does the lock work properly when the door is open? If so you need a proper engineer with at least half a brain to re shim the door at least for now. Half a days work at maximum.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

With four days to go I don't, in all conscience, think it's on to contact the guest and advise them to look for alternative accommodation.

I think you have two options (other than getting the lock fixed, which may or may not be possible). Firstly, advise the guests that there's a problem and tell them about the alternative entrance that you've mentioned. (Why is it impractical? It's got to be a better alternative than landing your guest without accommodation, surely?). If they accept this then a small reduction in the rental for the inconvenience plus some kind of goodwill gesture (wine, food hamper, whatever).

Or secondly, finding them a choice of alternative accommodation, of equal or better standard and in the same area, preferably in the same price range. If there is no suitable alternative in the same price range then you may have to make up the difference.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

teapot wrote:If that locksmith can't sort it don't waste your time having them back they are useless.
They don't sound very good.

If I were the guest (and I know about as much as anyone else about locks), I wouldn't believe you were making the effort you should be to get the problem fixed.

What if this were your own home and it was the only entrance door? Would you really have to find somewhere else to live for a few days because the locksmith couldn't fix a lock?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

As newtimber says - if I were the guest I wouldn't swallow the excuse, and I'd expect that if necessary the door could be completely replaced in the timescale. Under the circumstances if you do cancel them you're on the hook for potentially a lot more than a full refund, and I suspect that any court would look favourably upon a claim for other expenses incurred and time lost searching for alternative accommodation. Unfortunately if a court considers your terms of contract as unfair they'll be ignored.

Sorry that all sounds a bit negative, but maybe worth being prepared for the worst case and spending what it takes to avoid cancelling the guest at this late stage. Hope it all works out okay.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I agree with the general trend here...the inconvenience to your guests if you cancel, is huge, regardless of you giving them a full refund. It's not as if the property is uninhabitable as would be the case if it had burned down, washed away in a flood, or been destroyed by earthquake.

In these circs I would go to them and explain that there's a major problem with the front door and it's possible they may have to access the property through the basement/window/chimney for the first few days.

and then I'd tell them that if they wish to cancel and find somewhere else you will quite understand and you give them a full refund.

That way the cancellation is their choice, should they take it...and if they decide to stay you can give them a nice hamper of goodies for their inconvenience.

Hope it all works out.

edited for typos.
Last edited by tavi on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
teapot

Post by teapot »

newtimber wrote:
teapot wrote:If that locksmith can't sort it don't waste your time having them back they are useless.
They don't sound very good.

If I were the guest (and I know about as much as anyone else about locks), I wouldn't believe you were making the effort you should be to get the problem fixed.

What if this were your own home and it was the only entrance door? Would you really have to find somewhere else to live for a few days because the locksmith couldn't fix a lock?
Very well put and I see several days yet before they arrive which could although I doubt it's needed see the fitting of a brand new door.
I do pools but also property maintenance including locks and doors and a some "locksmiths" would be better classified as blacksmiths. There is ample time to get this fixed, finding a competent tradesperson is the hardest part as I often have to mop up after the banana fisted halfwits have finished and nearly emptied the customers bank account which frequently leaves me with a small remuneration as they protest they haven't any funds left.
This week I repaired a window on the 11th floor of building after two companies of window fitters had been in and claimed "the window will have to come out" (think £2500 for the cherry picker and banksmen as it's a high street) Two hours of TLC from me and all was well, Both companies earn't more than I, but I was the actual repair man.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

FelicityA wrote:Impractical or not, I would be offering him the alternative basement/garage entrance with a profuse apology and a small refund for the inconvenience. If it were me arriving on Saturday I would not be best pleased to find my accommodation had changed to somewhere else just a few days before( assuming you can find somewhere equal or better than yours). I would far rather be in the place I had carefully chosen. And I guess if not done by Friday, then you would probably be able to fix it early next week?
Ditto above. The last villa we stayed in had two entrances and access via the basement garage was not an issue. I'd rather get in the place I'd chosen than not get in at all. Good luck sorting it.