Felix Robin-son

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Dusty

Felix Robin-son

Post by Dusty »

Hi all,
a couple of days ago I received an enquiry via Owners Direct. The enquiry didn't feel right at the time (odd spelling of Robin-son, strange email address, very little information, poor english etc.) but I responded saying the property is available and giving the price.
Today a received a follow-up (below) asking for address information of where to send the cheque. It still doesn't feel right, I think its a "oh my colleague has sent you too much money, can you refund the balance please" and in the meantime the cheque bounces scam.
I have sent a reply saying I would like to talk to them regarding the property and the facilities we offer. Do you think I am right to be suspicious?

""I am so glad to hear from you, i think am comfortable with the cost and i will like to contact my associate to issue a payment out as soon as possible to secure the reservation for me
I will be sending the payment by cheque, that will clear into your bank account within 24-48hrs for security reason
I will need the following information for the payment
Full name on the cheque-
Address-
Zipcode-
City-
Contact number-
Immediately i receive this details my payment will be send to you and you will confirm it during the week days
My booking information-
Name- Felix Robinson
Address-538 Castro St
City-San Francisco,
City-CA
Zip-code-94114
Country-USA
I will be waiting to have your bank details so that the cheque can be sent out to you as soon as possible
Have a productive day
Best Regard""
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Stinks of scam to me. Why does an 'associate' have to send a cheque (UK spelling, not USA)

Have a productive day!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Bunny

Re: Felix Robin-son

Post by Bunny »

Dusty wrote:Do you think I am right to be suspicious?
Oh yes!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

My Scam-o-Meter didn't get to the end of the first line before it went red.

Bouncy overpayment scam.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

Put your address as
c/o Serious Fraud Office, New Scotland Yard, London
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
joddle

Post by joddle »

Smells so strong I would not have even replied.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

As ripe and fishy as a month old unrefrigerated haddock. No one pays for a holiday by cheque these days - unless they are an overpayment scammer of course ;)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Casscat wrote:As ripe and fishy as a month old unrefrigerated haddock. No one pays for a holiday by cheque these days - unless they are an overpayment scammer of course ;)
I do actually still get about half a dozen cheque payments per year. BUT they are genuine concerned people who don't want to pay into an unknown bank account and feel reassured by sending a cheque to a traceable registered address.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Bunny wrote:
Casscat wrote:As ripe and fishy as a month old unrefrigerated haddock. No one pays for a holiday by cheque these days - unless they are an overpayment scammer of course ;)
I do actually still get about half a dozen cheque payments per year. BUT they are genuine concerned people who don't want to pay into an unknown bank account and feel reassured by sending a cheque to a traceable registered address.
I'm amazed frankly. I haven't written a cheque in about four years :? There are other avenues for making payments that are secure - credit card, online payments via the booking site etc. I actually think that I would decline payment by cheque if that was offered. It's too open to abuse.
GRL

Post by GRL »

Casscat wrote:
Bunny wrote:
I'm amazed frankly. I haven't written a cheque in about four years :? There are other avenues for making payments that are secure - credit card, online payments via the booking site etc. I actually think that I would decline payment by cheque if that was offered. It's too open to abuse.
I am waiting for a cheque to arrive from a lady I assume to be genuine but who says her Internet is playing up so thought this payment method would be quicker. I'll let you know if she's overpaid ;)
Oh and I banked a cheque recently from an older couple who used to live locally but returned to live in the UK. They are coming back for a holiday to catch up with friends and are staying in our gite.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Bunny wrote:
I get regular cheques too. It just depends on your clientele base. I have lots that don't do online banking. Personally I can't begin to imagine going back to that, but it takes all sorts. :)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

My in laws have no computer, no internet and still just have one land line phone in the house which is firmly fixed to the wall by the front door, but they still manage to go on holiday. They are stalwart cheque writers. They don't have a plastic buttoned telephone seat but as you can imagine the hall is a bit draughty so they don't tend to chat for long. :lol:

Once oldies die out, the only reason to keep cheques going would be for the scammers' benefit.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Casscat wrote: No one pays for a holiday by cheque these days
I just lost a booking as I won't take cheques.

And my Premium Bond winnings came by cheque. Sadly I think there are some noughts missing :wink:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I take money! I don't care how it comes just so long as it is real. :D
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thanks to all of you for your replies, they have all supported my theory of it being a scammer, I have sent him a note saying I would like to talk to him about the booking but its all gone quiet, I wonder why? I would like to find a way of scamming the scammer but I am not clever enough to think of one.

As regards cheques, we accept them. In France there are many people who still use cheques in their daily lives, as I know to my cost each time I get stuck behind one in the supermarket queue. In fact we had a cheque arrive this week from an elderly gent who 'didn't trust all these online payments'. We probably get 2 or 3 bookings a year paying by cheque.