Help choose Domain/Website Name, please?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.

Domain/Website Name?

CalitriRental
No votes
CalitriHouse
No votes
neither - something fab I've yet to think of
100%

Total votes: 1

Musetta

Help choose Domain/Website Name, please?

Post by Musetta »

I know feel as if I am posting the same thing all over the place so please forgive me? My original question of just getting a new email address has morphed a little and now looking at domains and maybe starting a new site to use instead of my old wordpress blog.

Please let me know which you prefer? And/or add others you think of?

My home is named, Casa del Cipresso, and located in Calitri, Italy. My current blog is southernitaly.wordpress.com - southernitaly dot com is taken though and besides, it's too long an general so...if you have a moment...

Thank you!!!!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Don't get too hung up over the name length. That was the thinking 15 years ago but doesn't apply these days. Meaningful, memorable and good for SEO is the key.
Marks

Post by Marks »

These may be taken, I haven't checked:

calitriholidayrental
calitriholidayrentals
calitriholidayvilla
calitriholidayvillas
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

How about casadelcipresso.holiday

Does villacasadelcipresso.com make sense or is that like saying house house?

I've not searched for Italian holiday accommodation but I would probably search for 'villa' rather than 'casa'. Although I might not be your target market anyway.

One thing to consider is whether you want to build a unique brand. If so then use the name (assuming that casa del cipresso isn't a common name in your part of the world).

We're getting increasing enquiries through our web sites over the last few months and I suspect people find us on a big listing site then Google the name to check out our own site. Then, reassured that we really exist, they enquire from there. Our stats show the most common search phrase recently is the cottage name.

You can use your own domain names with Wordpress. Not sure how easy it is to set it up with an existing blog though. You might have to move the blog to a new host. That's something you can look into later.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Joanna wrote: One thing to consider is whether you want to build a unique brand. If so then use the name (assuming that casa del cipresso isn't a common name in your part of the world).
I tend to agree with Joanna regarding branding. casadelcipresso.com seems to be available, I'd probably go with that. Since you already rank #1 for 'Casa Del Cipresso' you should (in theory) remain at the top if you add that domain to your Wordpress site. You could then continue to use Wordpress as you do now, no need for a new host.
Annew

Post by Annew »

Joanna wrote:
One thing to consider is whether you want to build a unique brand. If so then use the name (assuming that casa del cipresso isn't a common name in your part of the world).

We're getting increasing enquiries through our web sites over the last few months and I suspect people find us on a big listing site then Google the name to check out our own site. Then, reassured that we really exist, they enquire from there. Our stats show the most common search phrase recently is the cottage name.
Welcome back Musetta - long time no see! I agree with Joanna - most of our searches come from our cottage names.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Thanks ! I don't want "holiday" in the title as I actually get very few UK visitors (which is a surprise to me w Ryanair to Bari and all! I wouldn't have guessed it when we first started out that is get mainly Americans) who would use that term...maybe vacation...but on the fence. I'm going to have a better look when I'm on my laptop, and, unfortunately, I think I can only get stats from the past few slower years (?) but my #1 search term for the blog was "southern Italy" when I was updating and doing a little Seo it got fairly high for that search, followed by "Calitri, Italy," & very closely followed by random places nearby and things from blog posts that have nothing to do w my site. Bus timetables, things like that. I do get a few googles from house name but I'm guessing that my big listings show first (ie vrbo). I feel I maybe just haven't thought of the right thing. (SouthernItaly dot com is not available or I'd have used that.)

p.s. However, just because people find me w "Southern Italy," etc dosen't mean those are the people booking. I would assume those who find me with more specific terms are more valuable to business. Also, as far as length - don't care for the website but I find names too long difficult for email address & also lengthy and difficult to spell not great for giving my email address out over the telephone...that's why I was worried about house name

Joanna, can't really say "villa" as its a little attached cottage - 40sq meters or so ;-) so a bit of false advertising to refer to it as a "villa." ;-) but you're right - no one searches for "casa."
Last edited by Musetta on Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

DaveT wrote: if you add that domain to your Wordpress site. You could then continue to use Wordpress as you do now, no need for a new host.
Except that Wordpress.com is a watered down version of Wordpress with lots of limitations. These include page layouts, choice of themes, plugins and email. On top of that you still need to pay for your own domain and you are at the mercy of Wordpress.com if that ever should vanish.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Kev, don't know if it matters if I use a watered down so version...I'm not that fancy :-) haven't decided which to do - maybe use a separate co to register & gist but still use wp. I'm kinda stuck on the name at this point so I have something to register ;-)
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

kevsboredagain wrote: Except that Wordpress.com is a watered down version of Wordpress with lots of limitations. These include page layouts, choice of themes, plugins and email. On top of that you still need to pay for your own domain and you are at the mercy of Wordpress.com if that ever should vanish.
Of course, there are lots of reasons why you might want to move to other hosting options (cost included). But there are also good reasons for staying on wordpress.com (it's easy, you don't have to keep updating every couple of months etc.).

I'm not sure what you mean about limitations on email? I would have thought it should be possible to use any email provider (E.g. Gmail etc.) with your own domain name and still use wordpress.com for your site (with the same domain name). I haven't actually done it though.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

DaveT wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean about limitations on email? I would have thought it should be possible to use any email provider (E.g. Gmail etc.) with your own domain name and still use wordpress.com for your site (with the same domain name). I haven't actually done it though.
If you pay to have your own domain on wordpress.com you will then have to pay someone else for email hosting or indeed use one of the free ones. Free email is great but it looks unprofessional for business use. If you go to the trouble of buying a domain name, then surely you'd want to use the same name for your email too?
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I thought wp will let you use your domain name for email & forward it (?) to wherever
Last edited by Musetta on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

kevsboredagain wrote: If you pay to have your own domain on wordpress.com you will then have to pay someone else for email hosting or indeed use one of the free ones.
True, I didn't say it would be free, I think Gmail costs about £3 a month to use your own domain.
kevsboredagain wrote: Free email is great but it looks unprofessional for business use. If you go to the trouble of buying a domain name, then surely you'd want to use the same name for your email too?
Agreed, I wasn't suggesting using free email addresses. Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly enough. I was just pointing out that it should be possible to use the same custom domain name with both wordpress.com and Gmail (or any another email service that lets you use your own domain).
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Musetta wrote:I thoaight wp will let you use your domain name for email & forward it (?) to wherever
Yes, AFAIK you can forward to any address. However, you need to consider what happens when you reply to emails you receive. If you are using Outlook or Yahoo then apparently you can set them up to reply from your own domain. If you are using Gmail then you can't. You would either have to reply from your gmail.com address or use Google Apps (£3/month).

Info here: https://en.support.wordpress.com/email-forwarding/
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Thanks. That makes sense. It dosen't cost much more to go to a separate hosting site like one.com and not worry about email replies as they can be handled there...just don't quite know how to go about moving current blog over so no clue if it is straightforward or technically involved. Google tells me you can configure gmail to reply from domain and set up w your iOS mail...but takes a bit of tweaking I think. I will ultimately choose whichever is the simpler solution :-)