Another site waiting for a critical eye.

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I don't have a fast connection and it was too slow to load for me.
Google pagespeed insights has suggestions to make it faster https://developers.google.com/speed/pag ... ab=desktop
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Kirigiwi wrote:On the whole I really like it, layout is good and the information presented clearly, but I think you could make a better choice for the images to use at the very top. At the moment you have 1 of the house and 3 of the garden and they need to be made way more enticing so that people will scroll down.

I personally would keep just 1 of the garden then add an interior shot and something to represent the general area. Plus maybe one of the pool as I imagine that's quite a selling point - and I can't find any photos of that at all on the site.

You seem to have nice photos of the dining room and the one of the door with the flowers around is very attractive - maybe more so than the whole house one. When you get the chance try and take some more garden shots which include some garden furniture so guests can visualize relaxing there.
Great suggestions, thank you.

Agreed, needs to be more enticing to get people to engage and scroll down which does according to my analytics, seem to be a problem as many visitors leave way too soon.

Have to wait till spring for new images of the pool as I'm currently refurbishing the beast. :-)

Love your site, your photos or professionally taken?

Best regards,

Chris
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

newtimber wrote:I don't have a fast connection and it was too slow to load for me.
Google pagespeed insights has suggestions to make it faster https://developers.google.com/speed/pag ... ab=desktop
Thanks for the heads up.

I spent a lot of time previously chasing my tail on 'Pagespeed Insights' improvements and did prior to last week, have a much better score.

I'll have to run the suggested images through a compressor again.

Best regards,

Chris
Kirigiwi

Post by Kirigiwi »

Thanks for the compliment on the site, that's very kind, still some work to do on it though! I took the photos myself, glad you like them.

I sell other, unrelated, stuff online, and the best advice I ever received about online selling - which is essentially what we're doing here - is that you are selling the photo, not the product. It's worth going over your images to make them the best they possibly can be, or calling in a professional!
JagsR

a couple of comments

Post by JagsR »

What a beautiful place!

Couple of comments: I agree with some of the others that there is a lot of "blurb" on the first page, and it is a bit off-putting to go through it all. Either a bulleted list, or include some of the information elsewhere on the site where there is less text.

I do think the weather takes up rather a lot of space.

I was also confused that all of your information is on one page, so the menu takes you to different parts of the same page. As I was scrolling down to view, I found that I was getting lost as to where in the site I was. But maybe that's just me!

Only other, picky thing is for your activities - do you want to highlight what you offer as special, or are the just add-ons? At the moment, the more generic activities are getting priority as they are what you see on the screen. Some website visitors won't screen down to see your own organised activities.

That's it - lovely job, otherwise. Hope you get lots of traffic through.
“Not all those who wander are lost.”
ChrisP

Re: a couple of comments

Post by ChrisP »

Thanks for taking the time to review our site.
JagsR wrote:What a beautiful place!
Thank you.
JagsR wrote:Couple of comments: I agree with some of the others that there is a lot of "blurb" on the first page, and it is a bit off-putting to go through it all. Either a bulleted list, or include some of the information elsewhere on the site where there is less text.
I'm working on an update to reduce some of the text and may well go with a bulleted list as suggested by others.
JagsR wrote:I do think the weather takes up rather a lot of space.
Up until a few days ago, the weather took up much less space and only showed 5 days in the forecast. It would seem that Yahoo has changed how 'weather' works and from what I've read, a key might now be needed to get the options and full control over what is displayed again (the temps were displayed in 'C', but now in 'F'). Another thing I now need to work on. :-(
JagsR wrote:I was also confused that all of your information is on one page, so the menu takes you to different parts of the same page. As I was scrolling down to view, I found that I was getting lost as to where in the site I was. But maybe that's just me!
Yes, being a single scrolling page is by design.
JagsR wrote:Only other, picky thing is for your activities - do you want to highlight what you offer as special, or are the just add-ons? At the moment, the more generic activities are getting priority as they are what you see on the screen. Some website visitors won't screen down to see your own organised activities.
By generic, do you mean those activities that display an image with an option to read more?
JagsR wrote:That's it - lovely job, otherwise. Hope you get lots of traffic through.
Cheers, we live in hope. :)