Success with sleeps 3?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
rosebud

Success with sleeps 3?

Post by rosebud »

I couldn't afford a place that could sleep 4 but wanted a second bedroom so comprised with a second single bedroom..

I now find I have an increasing number of bookings where both rooms are used. Parent/s with one child, single friends, sisters-in-law etc. Two thirds of my bookings from April are from people using both rooms ..

Any other sleeps 3 properties out there with a similar experience??
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I have a sleeps 4 and I frequently have both rooms used by just 2 people staying. I seem to get a lot of friends going away together - usually women friends. And then there are the snoring husbands (or wives!). I assume you are charging the same for 1, 2, or 3 people? I don't make a reduction for fewer people. It is their choice to rent somewhere bigger than they actually need.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Yes - the same amount .... that's simpler

I guess I represent good value compared with a local 2 bed sleeps 4 - but am more expensive than a couple of one bedroom properties
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

FelicityA wrote:I have a sleeps 4 and I frequently have both rooms used by just 2 people staying. I seem to get a lot of friends going away together - usually women friends. And then there are the snoring husbands (or wives!). I assume you are charging the same for 1, 2, or 3 people? I don't make a reduction for fewer people. It is their choice to rent somewhere bigger than they actually need.
We sleep 4 but mostly get 2s and the occasional 3. The price quoted is for the whole property, irrespective of whether one bedroom or both are used. We've certainly had our fair share of snorers, too! :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Slightly different, but same subject. We sleep six in three bedrooms yet frequently have couples booking. Suits us perfectly, especially as more often than not they only stick to using one bedroom!

They pay full price too for the pleasure of rattling about in too much space :D
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

What I have seen is a decrease in couples booking and an increase in people who are clearly going to make use of both rooms..

This could suggest more people are concerned about value for money?
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

In our area sleep three only commands sleep 2 rates. It seems two's company and three's a crowd still applies. But it could all change as so much has changed in recent years.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We quite often find that older couples sleep apart, they usually refuse my discount for using just the 1 bedroom only.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Charles I took note of what you had said previously about sleeps 3 being priced for sleeps 2 ...

Prices locally vary tremendously so it is hard to set mine

My prices (2 bedrooms , sleeps 3)
In 2011 - set by local agency at £350 to £525
Currently £385 to £625

Local agency
2 properties: 1 bedroom, sleeps 2. From £325 to £500

National agency
1 bedrm, sleeps 2 (+2 on sofa bed) £426 to £670
2 bedrms sleeps 4 3428 to £971

National Trust Property

2 bedrooms. sleeps 3. From £428 to £1000
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

i have 4 apartments in my property 3 sleep 2 persons ( doubles ) and the 3rd was originally set up a studio apartment, 1 double in the main room of the apartment with a separate small single bedroom as i was unable to fit a double in the room ( so a child or granny room ), however as we decided last year to stop accepting children under 16 so now mainly for adults and changed the 3 person apartment to 3 singles ( a twin arrangement in the main room with the existing single in the separate room ) the occupancy shot up with 3 adults booking like walkers ,cyclists traveling together ( friends ) and also 2 friends ( not couples ) sharing the twin arrangement and wanting extra space, so it is working well for me at the moment and hope it will continue this season ! think having this triple arrangement option opens things up to the non couples and if you take children the small families and as all my apartments are in the same building i have 3 other doubles to offer any extended family enquiries so if the 3 person accommodation works for you market try it
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Rosebud. Yes, it is very confusing.

However, niches of demand vary. Walkers may be more likely to pay higher for a sleep 3, for instance, than the couples market.

It also varies, depending if the holiday let is 'standard', 'formula' or 'special'. These do not mean 3,4 and 5 star. You can easily, for instance, get a 5 star formula holiday let.

There are many variables. Niches can be incredibly focused. Wyndham Worldwide... although I am no fan of the way they 'take over' peoples holiday lets, are masters of niche marketing with their many brands where, for instance, AirBnB is wide open to brand smearing and has a primitive, aggressive wannabe gate-keeper one brand approach. The way you advertise and what you offer determines the niches you attract.

The best sleep 3 rates will vary accordingly.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting