Any recommendations for our holiday in Ireland?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Joanna

Any recommendations for our holiday in Ireland?

Post by Joanna »

We're planning our first trip to Ireland this August and I know there are some Irish hatters but I'm not sure how to find them! So, if you have accommodation that might suit us or can recommend particular listing sites or areas to search please let me know.

We are a family of 4 but since we have a boy age 12 and girl age 15 we tend to look for 3 bed houses so they don't have to share. We usually look for houses that sleep 5-6.

Wi-fi is essential (see above) which probably rules out the more remote areas.

We're thinking of starting in Dublin for a short break, hiring a car and driving to the West Coast for 1 or possibly 2 weeks (Probably Co. Mayo, Galway or Clare). We'd like to be walking distance from a decent pub, shop and restaurant. We'll be walking, beachcombing, sightseeing, maybe hiring bikes.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Gordo

Re: Any recommendations for our holiday in Ireland?

Post by Gordo »

Hi Joanna, we have a place in Mayo (long-term tenants in situ) and my mother in law lives in Dublin.

Recommend you take a look at the boards.ie forum and click on the regional tab along top of homepage to enter sub-forums for areas of interest.

Also worth looking at Daft.ie under the holiday-homes tab or donedeal dot co dot uk under holidays & tickets.

For remote wifi worth considering a dongle.

Loads of great places all up along the west coast but regardless of where you go you'll need to keep your fingers crossed for good weather!

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Thanks Gordo, I'll check out those links. We've noticed that wi-fi seems much less common than in England (much to my teenage daughter's disgust!). In fact that could be more of an issue than the climate.
Jo

SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

I think Lestermeg on this forum has a place in Dingle. Beautiful part of the world. My favourite place in Ireland is Kinsale. Off there in a couple of weeks.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Joanna - no idea if it's useful but if you're on Facebook I've just been looking at a page called West Clare is calling you.

(I wasn't looking for accommodation but they seem to have lots of links to that sort of thing)
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Thanks - we'll check them out too :D
Jo

David Jacovides

West coast of Ireland

Post by David Jacovides »

Hello Jo,

I've just joined this website and this is my first post.

I'm sure it's a little too late now but if you're ever looking to travel to the west coast of Ireland in the future I have a lovely old house here on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.

The Old Fisherman's Cottage is located on Achill Island (connected to the mainland by a bridge) in the sleepy village of Dugort.

Feel free to take a look sometime...it's one of the most peaceful places you can imagine.

www.theoldfishermanscottage.com