Fake Enquiries from OD

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
bluebell

Fake Enquiries from OD

Post by bluebell »

I received the following enquiry today via OD. It just seems a little strange.

"Sorry to bother you, We came accross your lovely property on the ownersdirect page. Is it available for these dates? If not, what other dates do you have available? I can be reached at: emilyjefferson1@ hotmail.com as i can check this address on my iphone. Waiting to hear from you."

1. The email address on the enquiry header is different to the one the enquirer has listed here.

2. The enquiry says it is for just 2 adults and my villa sleeps 9 so that in itself is a bit odd.

3. My listing with OD ends today and this is the first enquiry I have had in 3 weeks through them....... am I just being too suspicious?

Thoughts anyone?
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Definitely strange and the bit about the different email is very similar to others received like this lately. Also the flexibility. Anyway, why is she sorry to bother you??!!
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

We had one almost identical but different name and email address. When I replied she asked to check our exact location giving a link which looked like a Google Maps reference. It's actually a phishing scam because it takes you to a fake Google login to harvest your login details. Be careful!
Isy

Post by Isy »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but yes it is a scam.
Here's the thread (Eileen2 mentionned it)
viewtopic.php?t=25597
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger !
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

It's probably the most common form of scam doing the rounds just now. Please contact us here so we can send you a phishing links. Thanks.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes I've had several of these now. I just reply advising that we can't reply direct to an email address as owners have been warned about phishing attempts :wink:

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!