What would your top of the list B&B advice be?

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
Linnymac

What would your top of the list B&B advice be?

Post by Linnymac »

We have just purchased a B&B (sale just going through) in the Scottish highlands.

This site has been amazing in giving us an insight into running a B&B and have considered it a valuable part of our research.

Now we are almost there, we would like to ask experienced B&B owners the following. If you were to offer one piece of advice to us as newbies, what would it be?

Thanks in advance
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Hi Linnymac, and welcome to LMH.

Congratulations on your purchase and the new life that's on the way! Offering B&B is a fantastic lifestyle, though your hourly wage will of course hover around a maximum of 50p :lol:

I've just moved over to self catering after over 20 years altogether of welcoming B&B guests - I'm going to miss the daily contact with my guests, but not getting up every morning to bake the breakfast bread ...

So, if I were just to offer one piece of advice, it would be to make sure you have boundaries in place from the start so that you have some modicum of privacy. You absolutely need your own physical space, where guests only penetrate in an emergency (don't even think about sharing your living room - it's fun to begin with but you'll very quickly resent it); you also need some time during the day when you're doing something else, just to clear your head, otherwise your life will revolve 100% around washing, ironing, cleaning, arrivals, departures, breakfst and guests! It's a good idea to close your doors for a couple of days once a month if you can afford it and make a point of going out or even away, otherwise you're likely to get a severe case of cabin fever.

It's very, very easy to burn out in this business - I've seen so many people come and very quickly go again over the years because they haven't taken care of their own needs. You absolutely have to do that so that you can take care of your guests' needs!

Good luck - hope you stick around here and let us know how it goes!
annedab

Post by annedab »

French Cricket wrote:........make sure you have boundaries in place from the start so that you have some modicum of privacy. You absolutely need your own physical space, where guests only penetrate in an emergency (don't even think about sharing your living room - it's fun to begin with but you'll very quickly resent it)
Hello and welcome. Everything FC said - particularly the privacy part. Guests tend to imagine that you are also on holiday and you can quickly find that half your day has disapppeared.
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
La Chouette

Post by La Chouette »

I'd echo FC's thoughts on private space in every sense of the word, wholeheartedly. I'd also add, on a practical note, that you should never underestimate what can find its way through to your expensive mattresses so invest in great mattress protection! I'm sure it's been discussed many times here.

Welcome and bon courage, as we say in this neck of the woods.

Jan
Linnymac

Post by Linnymac »

Thanks so much. Good sound advice there and we can't wait to get going. We know it is going be a hard slog getting into aroutine and dealing with the guests but it sounds a very rewarding profession and you all still seem sane (well most of you :D )

Any advice on the type of mattresses and pillows that guests prefer most?
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

agree with all that has been said, also never underestimate how much work is involved...during the season you are 'on-call' 16hrs/day, 7 days/wk..... also mattress & pillow protectors - at 2/bed (1 waterproof - accidents happen), buy the best quality mattresses & pillows you can afford, not all feather as guests have allergies. Have at least 3 sets of everything/room especially if taking 1 nighters. Be flexible & smile at all times...