Kitchen tea & hand towels

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
suse

Post by suse »

we leave out 2 tea towels per week plus a kitchen roll as well as leaving a drawer full of spare ones (with an apron!) some weeks the drawer is empty while others untouched. Have even had some guests who having used all then put a wash on with them before they left in case we didnt have any more :shock:
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

suse wrote:Have even had some guests who having used all then put a wash on with them before they left in case we didnt have any more :shock:
I know they do it with the best of intentions, but guests washing my linens is one of my worst nightmares! Might as well say 'when guests set the stains for me'. Thank you, not! :wink: :roll:
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

In a sleep 6 I leave a hand towel and two tea towels. I've only once (in 20 years) been asked for a change of/extra tea towels - even pre-dishwasher days.

A roll of kitchen towel is supplied.

I do find tea towels get used as floor clothes, dish clothes, oven clothes but don't get me started on that ................
Ele

Post by Ele »

We provide 2 x Tea towels, 2 x Kitchen hand towels & 2 x Kitchen rolls (for a week, changed at mid-stay clean for stays of 2 weeks or more).
suse

Post by suse »

Bunny wrote: I know they do it with the best of intentions, but guests washing my linens is one of my worst nightmares! Might as well say 'when guests set the stains for me'. Thank you, not! :wink: :roll:
That was my thought but thankfully no stains that time :)
oh the joys of 'helpful' guests
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Thanks folks. Am going to plump for 2 tea towels & 1 hand towel per week for 2/3 guests & 2 tea towels & 2 hand towels for 4/5 guests. Working on the assumption that most people use the dishwasher anyway.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I supply 2 teatowels per week (sleep 2 - no dishwasher - guests eat out alot)
plus kitchen roll and new sponge/j-cloth for each booking.

Hand towels are in the bathroom.

Also supply two very clean (!) old towels rolled up under the kitchen sink for spills, mud, floods..........
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

As it is that time to re organise things i would like some advise on simple boring but necessary things like dish cloths
for tea towels i use the ones like from OFE checked wonder dry ones and they seem to last and are ok to boil /bleach /Oxi etc but i previously purchased the white net type dishcloths but only from ASDA but i seem to be throwing out more than are surviving with assorted tea /tomato sauce stains i was looking at the microfibre coloured ones but again i was not sure if they would last the time personally for housekeeping i use E Cloths but can not really stretch the budget to use them in the apartments
so has anyone found an absorbent dish cloth that lasts the time to also boil/bleach /Oxi clean
i also ofter in the apartments a dish brush but i removed the small green/sponge squares as again i was throwing most of them away after each rental

you can tell what my life has become when i have to discuss dishcloths :shock:
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

The truth is the best German wine remains in Germany
So forget your memories of Blue Nun & Black Tower
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I supply kitchen roll and either a green scourer/sponge thingy or a J cloth plus separate green scourer, plus one hand towel and 3 kitchen towels per week, with extra towels left with the spare bedlinen/bath towels for stays in excess of a week.

Occasionally, the guest has bought their preferred sponge type cloth - usually in a packet of 3 so 2 new ones left behind - but generally, the green scourer/sponge I provide is used. I don't throw them away - I keep them to use for dirty jobs like cleaning birdmuck off the shutters (top edge and horizontal crossbar, where the little birds perch), or wiping up the muddy paw prints left at this time of year by our favourite feline. Then they get binned. :lol:

My guests always get a brand new dishcloth, even the j cloth does not get hot washed and recycled for them.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

yep i have also been down the j cloth route but they became so thin so i ended up throwing them away

it just would be nice to have some good absorbent cloths the i can launder and re use and look clean for the next guest
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

The truth is the best German wine remains in Germany
So forget your memories of Blue Nun & Black Tower
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I usually stock up in Aldi in the Uk or France and leave them in the store room to be replaced when necessary.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Five! I feel a bit mean now, we leave two (plus 2 rolls kitchen roll) I find, like others have said, that they get a lot of hammer - from observing when friends have stayed, people tend to use them for all sorts, so they get knackered pretty fast.

I might try leaving the least knackered of the old ones in a basket in the cupboard - but I suspect that people just grab whatever is handy to mop up coffee / get mud off the floor/ clean gunk off their skis / wipe the worst off the kids / get hot fatty things out of the oven, and it's just something you have to put up with.

Edit - plus 2 new scourer/sponges which then become the cleaning scourers, and a cloth (varies - laundered or disposable)
Last edited by Martha on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Brand new j cloth and scourer sponge for every let. I reuse them for dirty jobs and then throw them away.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Zur Alten Weinkelter wrote:yep i have also been down the j cloth route but they became so thin so i ended up throwing them away
I thought that's what you were supposed to do with them. They are cheap and disposable and you give everyone a brand new one (or 2) when they arrive.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

2 tea towels and 1 kitchen hand towel (+ oven gloves) for each set of guests (Cottage sleeps 3)

There's a dishwasher and I supply paper kitchen towels. Also a new dishcloth & sponge for the kitchen each time.

There's a vinyl cotton type apron in a drawer - don't think it is used.