Domain Registration Service SEO Company

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Dusty

Domain Registration Service SEO Company

Post by Dusty »

An interesting one this one. Not an enquiry as such, but a scam anyway so I am posting here so others can be alerted. Alternatively, let me know if you think its genuine. Its certainly plausible and I had to think hard as to whether I had signed up to such a service.

I received a mail today regarding the registration of my domain name and asking me to click on a link to pay $61 online. It had all the correct information, (domain name, owner name and address etc.) and certainly had me thinking for a while as it seemed very plausible. I have copied the wording below (removing my domain name). The thing that alerted me is that they were asking me to renew my registration of a search engine optimization submission. Not something I have used before, but to those of us who are not as fully aware of domain registrations etc. sounds something that you could well need.

--------------------------------------------
Domain Name: xxxxxxxxxxxx.com
Attn: xxxxxxx xxxxx

This important expiration notification proposal notifies you about the expiration notice of your domain registration for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com search engine optimization submission. The information in this expiration notification proposal may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information from the notification processing department to purchase our search engine traffic generator. We do not register or renew domain names. We are selling traffic generator software tools. This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above.
If you fail to complete your domain name registration xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com search engine optimization service by the expiration date, may result in the cancellation of this search engine optimization domain name notification proposal notice.
CSE

Post by CSE »

scam
All of your information can be found on line.
https://whois.domaintools.com/francesouthwest.com
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

What are they on about? I think I would keep my 61 dollars. Minor grammar error in their last paragraph, which starts "If you fail ...". Excusable, but clearly they don't check through their text before publishing.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

I've had this type of scam. It seems harmless in comparison to others. They just want you to "renew" your domain with them.
I had jammydodgers dot com for a book I wrote. They offered to renew my jammy-dodgers (with a hyphen) domain.
It the email lands about the time of renewal it is easy to get caught. Most domains are registered with a different outfit to your website host so they take advantage of the fact that most people don't know where they are registered.
Your offer of "optimisation" sounds like the same type of scam.
As CASA says you can check your domain situation online.