Homeaway Online Payments

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
shamac

Homeaway Online Payments

Post by shamac »

My first year of taking these and can't make head nor tail of them!

A guest has asked me today if the rest of the balance after she has paid her deposit will be automatically taken from her card on the date it is due? Is that what happens?

If not, do guests get sent a reminder that the balance is due and a link so that they can pay the final balance online?

Someone else asked if they can pay in 3 parts online? Is this possible does anyone know?

Thanks x
The harder you work, the luckier you get.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I'm fairly sure your guests will receive nagging emails without your involvement but according to your terms of when to pay, which you have defined in HA.

I sometimes receive a "thank you for the reminder" from guests because HA send the email as if it came from the owner.

I have not seen any options other than 2 payments in the HA settings.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi, Just been through this with a not very IT savvy customer with just an ipad. They mailed me asking if payment would be taken automaticaly. It isnt.

They should get a reminder message, they then have to log in to their OD account and make the payment. My guest did not realise that they had created an account so I used the password reset request using their email. That all seemed to get things sorted as we then got payment notification. Now just have to wait about a week to get the payment.

I also had an issue that they did not automatically pay me the funds when the guest paid. The defualt seemed to be that they would keep then money until the guest arrived. I had to provide some verification by sending a utility bill to get the funds released. (This is on subscription).
Ele

Post by Ele »

Hi Shamac - I had all these exact same questions myself last week, and HA support were very good (for a change!). I've now gone through each process with the guest so know this to be correct -
A guest has asked me today if the rest of the balance after she has paid her deposit will be automatically taken from her card on the date it is due? Is that what happens?
The balance payment is not automatically taken, no.
If not, do guests get sent a reminder that the balance is due and a link so that they can pay the final balance online?
HA send an automated email notifying guests to pay for the balance 7 days prior to the due date. They send another notification on the due date, as well as follow-up notification if it is overdue after 7 days.

The email reminder includes a 'Pay now' button. Guests have the option to pay the balance by the same method / payment card they used for the deposit, or use any different payment option that you have set up (i.e. bank transfer, Paypal.) If they send their payment using one of these different methods, you need to click on 'Actions' below the paid amount and select 'Mark as Paid'.
Someone else asked if they can pay in 3 parts online? Is this possible does anyone know?
Yes it's possible (our guest wanted to pay in 4 monthly installments) - apparently you can have as many payment requests as you like.

What you need to do is cancel the existing second payment request for the balance (just go to 'Actions' then 'Cancel request').

Then go to 'Add payment request' (it's at the bottom of the quote, under Policies and Agreements) and add the payment requests for the amounts and due dates you've agreed with the guest. Example - if the balance is £1,000 to be paid in 4 instalments by 1st June, you can set up 4 payment requests of £250 each for 1st March, 1st April, 1st May, 1st June.

Good luck!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Slightly off thread but I backed out of Homeaway payments last night by ringing Austin Texas at midnight. I discovered that my property (with online HA Payments enabled) was listed on vacationrentals.com and anyone who found me there was being billed an extra 8% as there not-so-wonderful "Service Fee" went live yesterday. I just want no part of it. I can offer my place cheaper to everybody and I will suffer the consequences of being pushed to the bottom of the listings.

Actually, an hour after the payments thing was disabled (infuriatingly,there was no way to do this online so I had to ring a supervisor) an Australian enquired about 3 weeks in April and subject to flights is almost certainly going ahead. Of course I will get no credit if she baulks at the payment for pretty well nothing (they say you "may" get help from there if there is a problem with the accommodation) and pays me direct as I am still prepared to go to online alternative booking when it suits me but of course she will save a packet if she comes to me direct.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

That's useful to know Ele. I would have been too scared to cancel any payment request in case the system gave them a free holiday :lol:
Essar

Post by Essar »

Spot on Ele - great response and very helpful.

I would like to add that owners can set the number of days before arrival when HA start to ask for the balance - they actually start 7-days prior to the setting. Unfortunately, the days are in steps of 5, if you want a balance at 6-weeks there isn't a setting for 42-days, you have to use either 40 or 45.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
shamac

Post by shamac »

Thank you everyone, really helpful info.
The harder you work, the luckier you get.