Tv and Internet during a storm

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
SW31

Tv and Internet during a storm

Post by SW31 »

Do you have anything in your T&C's regarding unplugging tv and Internet equipment during a storm. OH wants wording to say that if notified to do so by our supplier (Orange in France) we have the right to enter the accommodation to unplug equipment. In theory it's straigthforward as we are on site but I'm not sure how it would be taken.
If the equipment got frazzled I suppose you could deduct it from the security deposit if you explicitly told a client to unplug it and they didn't. My reason for raising this is we've seen some really heavy storms and now realise this is not an idle threat - things can get badly damaged.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

It's not in our T&C but I do mention in the house-book the need to unplug anything sensitive - including laptops and tablets belonging to the guests themselves - during thunderstorms.

I also talk about it when I'm showing them around - I don't like formality or reading the riot act so I'd never talk about having the 'right' to enter and unplug stuff but I do say that I'd be happy to go in and unplug if they're out and I'm not. Everybody's been grateful to accept (and I've done it, on many an occasion). Much better, in my book, to present it as a service to them rather than a rule.

Most people just aren't aware of the power of a Pyrenean storm and of the power surges that can come during them! Plus our power often goes on and off several times during thunderstorms, which isn't good for electrical equipment. Once they've witnessed their first August thunderstorm though they'll understand completely :wink:
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I think French Cricket's suggestions are spot on. Also, it could lead to bad feeling (and a not very relaxing holiday) if you insist in your t&cs that sensitive equipment is unplugged. Guests may leave for a day out in beautiful sunshine, only to be hit by an afternoon thunderstorm and then spend the time worrying that they're going to be hit with a big bill when they get back to your place.

Irritating as it is to lose the internet, we found Orange excellent in supplying us with a new (and free) router when ours was taken out in a storm. It was up and running again within 2 days and the guests were very understanding.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

What about using a surge plug? They go in line between your electric power point and your equipment. They look like any other extension lead, but they get frazzled (or they just cut out, ready to be reset) when lightning strikes and that way the equipment is saved.

Having lost one expensive item because of a power surge, I use them for all electronic gear. You can get them with short or long flexes and with gangs of 2,4 or 6 socket outlets, according to your needs. They are not that expensive and you don't have to worry about going into the property to unplug things in the midst of a storm.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I think it depends where you live and what your power source is like. In the alps we used to get lots of power losses and surges during storms. It was the same when I was a child in the UK. Now it never affects the power, so I never unplug anything.

Most of the industrialized world does not unplug their devices when leaving for work or rush home to do so if a storm is forecast.

However, if you live in an area where the power is affected by storms, then it would make perfect sense to advise people on what to do. Try to make it easy to unplug though.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

AndrewH wrote:What about using a surge plug? .
I use a surge protector behind the house router and the telephone line, but most of the house is supplied with internet via wireless CPL (Homeplugs) so surge protection not an option.