Bewildered beginner with stained chair - do I charge?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Bean

Bewildered beginner with stained chair - do I charge?

Post by Bean »

Hello All!

I am a long time lurker who finally opened a tiny 1 bed self catering cottage last July. So far all has gone (relatively) smoothly thanks mainly to all the excellent advice on this forum!

I've now hit upon my first issue - guests informed me on leaving that they'd spilt peppermint tea on an armchair the night before. They suggested I hang on to the £100 deposit they'd paid as they'd brought a dog with them and reimburse them what I didn't spend on the chair.

On tackling the chair, I noticed there were red marks all over the carpet underneath and the remains of a takeaway curry in the rubbish so I suspect it's a curry rather than tea stain on the chair. Then the sewer blocked with large amounts of kitchen towel presumably used to clear up the curry!

Anyway I've got the marks off the carpet, unblocked the drain and removed most of the mark on the chair. It's good enough to leave in the house but just looks a bit grubby in direct light. So I'm a bit stumped as to what (if anything) to charge them. It was good of them to tell me (if not the exact story) and they did their best to clear up but it has taken me a couple of hours work and it's not perfect. So I thought I'd ask the experts! Is this just wear and tear? Or do I keep some deposit and how much? Any thoughts gratefully received!

Bean
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I'd keep the whole deposit. They probably knew you'd find other the other incriminations. Tell them you will have to get it professionally cleaned.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
tavi

Post by tavi »

I'd do as they suggest keep the deposit, and get the chair and carpet professionally cleaned. ...and reimburse them whatever's left (if anything and even if it's a small amount). Doesn't sound like they're going to put up a fight - and you may be able to come out of it with a positive guest relationship intact - and a possible repeat booking (if you want them back that is!)

This may just be a one-off disaster but since you're in the early days it might be worth considering if there are any lessons to be learned - to make your own life easier in the future. A slightly grubby chair is just not good enough imho so how to avoid a repeat scenario - a different kind of cover? a throw? a spray stain repellant? Move the chair?

Is this a dining chair? - maybe you should remove the carpet from underneath?

Add a reminder in your house notes that certain items should not be put in the toilet. Cellulose kitchen paper is one of them.

None of these measures will stop the occasional twit from causing damage...of course :)
Bean

Post by Bean »

Thanks both - really helpful.

Everything is already treated with stain repellant - (think I got that off here somewhere). I don't think I'd have stood a chance getting it off otherwise. The chair is in the lounge, I think they were having their dinner in front of the TV and tipped it over the chair and the floor. As for not blocking the drains - don't get me started! I have detailed information in the house book about it, a paragraph on the welcome sheet and a sign above the toilet and I reckon most guests have flushed stuff they shouldn't. It drives me mad! That and not understanding to put a mat on a table if you're using something hot. Most of our guests are very lovely 20-30 something couples but they're not very sensible!

Bean
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

They're upfront and offering to pay for the chair to be properly cleaned; if that's an option then as has been suggested, send them the invoice for the actual cost of cleaning (or for the quote if you can't get the chair cleaned in the near future) and reimburse the remainder. Seems fair both ways, and if you show some gratitude that they fessed up along with understanding that these things happen you should end up with a positive relationship and they won't feel embarrassed about wanting to come back (assuming you want them!)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

tavi wrote:I'd do as they suggest keep the deposit, and get the chair and carpet professionally cleaned. ...and reimburse them whatever's left (if anything and even if it's a small amount).
+1

You are lucky that they confessed. In my experience most damage goes unreported and, if mentioned by the host, is often denied. I have a permanent curry stain on the bedroom carpet. Nothing I've tried will get it out and like you I found the incriminating takeaway in the bin. Who eats curry in the bedroom anyway? :roll:

You will find yourself having to cover other damage costs in the future, so when it is unchallenged I would accept it. My damage costs are quite considerable, very little of which has been recouped from guests.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Like the others. ...I too would suggest keepING an amount back from the deposit, perhaps the hourly rate of the time you spent cleaning it? I wouldn't be too harsh on them; annoying though it is accidents do happen and they did tell you and try and clean it up.

Just a tip on curry stains.....put your chair in the sunshine and the stain will disappear. Honestly! I had an accident once with a takeaway curry on the front seat of a new car.....2 days later it was gone. Sunshine :D

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Bean

Post by Bean »

Thanks again. I thought it was decent of them to sort of confess (once I'd stopped being silently furious). Accidents happen - I washed the first set of guest bedding with a biro and totally ruined it trying to get the marks out. I shrug off any permanent marks on tea towels and bedding as wear and tear but I was a bit flummoxed when it came to the chair. It's a bit of a bigger deal.

Really impressed with the sunlight tip - I'll definitely give it a go if we ever have sunshine again!

Bean
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Bunny is right, your very fortunate the guests admitted this to you, some just leave (we've had them totally deny damage) then it's panic stations for the housekeepers following departure. Just be honest and thank them for informing you, then send them 'your' itemised cost of the remedial work required.
'That's just the business your in dear' <<<< Alex Polizzi says that.... hee hee :lol:
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

You are really lucky that they did 'fess up. I actually had a leg snapped off one of my dining chairs :(

Sadly our agency doesn't encourage damage deposits so that was the profit gone in getting an emergency repair - it had to go to a furniture restorer. Don't underestimate the cost of professional cleaning and repair!
Bean

Post by Bean »

I only take a deposit if they're bringing a dog so I was very lucky with that as well. It seems that less and less places ask for damage deposits these days or am I mistaken?

After reading loads on this forum we were very careful to try and get stuff that wouldn't be the end of the world if/when it gets damaged but I still reckon I'm going to be a bit upset when it inevitably happens. I'm trying to toughen up!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Bean wrote:I only take a deposit if they're bringing a dog so I was very lucky with that as well. It seems that less and less places ask for damage deposits these days or am I mistaken?

After reading loads on this forum we were very careful to try and get stuff that wouldn't be the end of the world if/when it gets damaged but I still reckon I'm going to be a bit upset when it inevitably happens. I'm trying to toughen up!
I don't think deposits are being taken any less. It is true that some don't take one but I've always had to pay one. Maybe it's a 50/50% split, but not sure. Possibly a higher percentage still take one. I do.

It is true that you have to toughen up to any emotional attachment to your property and furniture, but also remember that you are running a business and any damage means less profit, so in that respect damage should never be underestimated or just simply written off as a hazard of the business. A hotel would charge damage to your credit card quicker than a rat up a drainpipe.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I only charge one for the agency bookings - they agreed but only after I turned down a last minute booking from them due to the urgent repair work needed to get the cottage back to standard after their last booked guests!
Bean

Post by Bean »

Bunny - that's a good point. It's a fine line between good customer relations (and the customer's always right, apparently) and not being a soft touch. There's a lot to learn!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Bean wrote:I only take a deposit if they're bringing a dog so I was very lucky with that as well. It seems that less and less places ask for damage deposits these days or am I mistaken?

There are legions of threads on here about damage deposits but personally I would not dream of renting without one. £150.00 or £200.00 with a dog, usually refunded within 24 hrs. Just my opinion.