Airbnb & others 'fined' by Valencia Tourism Authority

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
DaveT

Re: Airbnb & others 'fined' by Valencia Tourism Authorit

Post by DaveT »

Marks wrote:From The Local dated 19.02.16:

Eight companies advertising Costa Blanca holiday accommodation on the internet could face fines of up to 90,000 Euros each after being accused of breaking the Tourism Act, according to the Valencia tourism agency chief, Francesc Colomer. The operators which include the international portal Airbnb have apparently not placed the individual registration numbers for the properties which is required under tourist regulation law in the Valencia region. Colomer added the companies have a fortnight to respond saying that the Valencian government is totally committed to regulated tourist accommodation in the area.
Do you have a link to this article? Or does anyone else have any more information about this? I've searched and can't find anything about it.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Roxytoo wrote:
"I truly despair of Spain"
Please take this in good faith Roxy but I tuly despair of expats in Spain.
The UK is a country where England has laws that date back to the Magna Carta. Scotland has laws that hark back before the famous battles with Edward Longshanks.
Spain came out of Dictatorship as it moved into the 1980s. I have lived here since 1986 and watched how the government tried to democratise the country and modernise the legislature.
Spanish people have persistantly tried to find ways to avoid these laws while expats have consistantly ignored them.
It's time for everybody to play catchup.
I believe that LMH is an excellent vehicle to help owners catch up but we need to contribute positive experience and to add clips, quotes and links that help everyone move forward.
I really feel strongly about this.
Let's work together to get as much info in LMH as is humanly possible instead of just grumping about Spain.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Dave the article was first published in Feb 15

Costabravarent I'm not an expat in Spain. I don't mind playing catchup as long as its fair and we get the right info. Spain is so corrupt we never get the right info, thats probably why most expats (which I am not) 'ignore' them, they don't know about them in the first place or can't find the right info, surely even you can see that
Marks

Post by Marks »

My typing error :oops:

The Euro Weekly News is from this week. This is the link, the article is on page 4:

http://www.euroweeklynews.com/3.0.15/im ... -north.pdf

The short article from The Local is not on-line but I have the article as a PDF scanned from this week's issue, I have copied it out word for word.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Marks

Post by Marks »

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Marks wrote: The short article from The Local is not on-line but I have the article as a PDF scanned from this week's issue, I have copied it out word for word.
Thanks, it is the fining of the advertising channels that I am particularly interested in, that's why I was asking. I did find another mention of it online but it is also very brief...

http://www.costa-news.com/latest-news/t ... y-rentals/

It does name the eight sites involved as Homeaway, Niumba, Mil Anuncios, Airbnb, Booking, Onlyapartments, Fotocasa and Muchosol.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Marks wrote:I've seen others shown like that but cannot see the field to complete anywhere. I have emailed customer support.
I searched every where and could not find it. I can only assume it must have been a one time use field and now could not be changed.
Marks

Post by Marks »

kevsboredagain wrote:
Marks wrote:I've seen others shown like that but cannot see the field to complete anywhere. I have emailed customer support.
I searched every where and could not find it. I can only assume it must have been a one time use field and now could not be changed.
Email from Spain-Holiday has just arrived:

As we need to check and approve each license it´s us who enters the licence number, this cannot be done by the user. So, once you have provided us with the copy of the licence, we will approve and enter it , so it will be seen online.

They did phone me on Thursday about the licence but had not asked me to send a copy, I will do so over the weekend.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

That has def changed as there was a box before for you to enter the number
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

roxytoo wrote:That has def changed as there was a box before for you to enter the number
Whew, thought I was going senile :D
Marks

Post by Marks »

Looks like they are taking no chances over this. They have just under 2,000 Costa Blanca properties listed so a lot of legwork for them to get every one to comply. Will they drop any that refuse to be legal?
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I remember reading that yes they would, they couldn't put an advert on there if it didn't comply to the relevant authoritys regulations............I am expecting an email but haven't had one yet!
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Like I said in earlier post, I thought that S/H are doing it themselves and asking for documental proof because some people were just using someone else's number
Great stuff Marks on getting the form.
I saw on UK TV last night how one disabled lady lost her mobility car because she ticked the wrong box. She ticked that she could walk 20-50 metres when in fact 20m was a struggle.
So for anybody who is shaky on Spanish it may be best to have somebody sitting beside you as you click along. Somebody who speaks French or Italian can help because lots of the words are similar.
At least here I was able to do a physical form and hand it in. Online is fast and efficient but careful what you click.
Roxytoo I don't agree. Spain is a great country to live in. But let's agree to differ and concentrate on the Valencia situation. There are some really good points coming up and there are lots of people reading this that never post but need the info too.
It's good fun to chew the fat on A/C and the horrible listing sites but all these little bits of concrete info add up until people are no longer ignorant. The government ain't going to do it.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Here is a copy and paste quote from S/H
Valencian Community (capital Valencia)

A registration system was introduced in 2013, allowing owners and agents to register their holiday rentals in Valencia, the process was recommendable but not compulsory. However that changed at the beginning of January 2015 and it is now obligatory to register your property with the Registro de Empresas, Establecimientos y Profesiones Turística. You can read all about How to Apply for Holiday Rental Licences in the Valencian Community.
http://www.spain-holiday.com/rentalbuzz ... -community
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

costabravarent wrote: At least here I was able to do a physical form and hand it in.
WHERE did you physically hand the form in?

Although the spain-hol blurb does give 3 specific addresses, their blurb also says "You can apply for the inscription in any government administrative office"

and also..

"You can also fill out your application and take it in to the post office. You must take the application in an open envelope. This is so they can stamp and date your application."

I tried the town hall, showed them the forms but they just shook their heads didn't recognise them and suggested I try Suma office.

Tried Suma office, they shook their heads and suggested I try town hall!

Went to the post office, same story so I'm still no further on.

Next step I'll probably try posting one to one of the 3 addresses on spain-hol.

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…