Do I need to worry about candles?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Bean

Do I need to worry about candles?

Post by Bean »

Now I've stuck my head above the parapet can I ask everyone's views on candles? Our Valentines weekend guests left their rubbish which was full of used tealight candles (20 or so). This got me thinking - should I have a rule/policy/information about candles? I'm worried they could, at worst, have burnt the house down or left burn marks on all the surfaces. Or do I just not worry about it and deal with any damage if it happens? What does anyone else do? I't be really helpful to hear.

Bean
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I used to leave candles but after having melted wax dripped all over the floor tiles and someone else hang candles in a holder on the wall, where it could have set fire to the paint, I removed all but citronella candles to be used outside.

I figure candles used in an unfamiliar home are a bigger risk than using them in your own home. If you also have children staying, they can be a temptation for fooling around.
ellerhow

Post by ellerhow »

We have about a dozen of those IKEA very cheap and innocuous glass tea light holders and leave them on a (high) shelf in the kitchen with tea lights in. We have been holiday letting for about twelve years now and no accidents or damage from them except for a little wax on the mantle piece where some-one had blown them out.
Out T&C's state no candles.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I do have a candle policy - in fact they form part of my fire safety risk assessment and policy.

I don't ban them - I couldn't enforce it anyway. In fact I even leave them pillar candles on suitable little plates ( to catch the wax) and some tea light holders.

They are instructed not to leave them burning unattended.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I provide tealights in solid based glass holders with straight sides, nothing flimsy or easily unbalanced. And one pillar candle inside a glass lantern with a bamboo frame thingy, which can only sit on a table.

Nothing that can be hung anywhere and no candles or candlesticks.

Not had any problems.

P.s. You do have a smoke alarm?
Bean

Post by Bean »

I hadn't thought of providing actual holders - that's a really good idea. I couldn't think how to enforce a ban either but I'll definitely get some holders now. Thanks for the tip!

I'm off to edit my T&C's and check my fire risk assessment ........
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I'm firmly in the camp of providing solid tealight holders and tealights. They get used a lot, and we've not had problems; we've never (yet) found any evidence of guests bringing in candles and something to stick them in, but without the tealights I'm certain it would have happened a number of times.
Completely agree with Cymraes re the Fire RA - it's unrealistic to ban the use of candles and expect that to be observed, therefore it's a case of accepting the risk and showing how it's minimised.
Bean

Post by Bean »

I hadn't actually thought about candles at all as I never have them myself. The guests brought their tealights with them but I've no idea what they put them on as there was no damage to anything (luckily) so perhaps they came equipped with holders. I'd no idea candles were so common - I'm very glad I asked!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm fairly relaxed about candles as I too provide lanterns and tea light holders. I'm a candle lover (in fact when we first moved to live in our Ibiza apartment I found out some of our older neighbours thought I was a witch :shock: ) and take my own tealights on holiday...I also take those cheap stackable glass tea light holders from Ikea too. But not everyone will, so I think it's essential to supply them.

My neighbour who has an old finca full of sabina wood bans them inside. She explains why though.

Candle loving Mousie
x
Last edited by Mouse on Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

+1 to high sided glass tea light holders and definitely not the short cheap IKEA ones that don't enclose the flame. We once watched someone in a restaurant accidentally set fire to their serviette with one of those.

We also leave some Moroccan style lanterns that we put tea lights in, but they could hold pillar candles too. We provide a supply of tea lights. They burn out after about 2 hours so there's no danger of someone going to bed and leaving them burning all night and they tend not to drip wax (unless people remove the metal cases).

In our pre-stay info we tell guests that we provide candle holders and tea lights. Hopefully that means they won't bring other types of candles or holders that might be more risky.

We've bought tea lights when we've been on holiday in the past either because we found the lighting too bright or we wanted to sit outside in the evening. We've often ended up putting them on saucers which could be a fire hazard if a breeze caught them.

One downside of tea lights that our decorator pointed out is that they give off smoke that makes the ceilings dirty. However, judging by how rarely I need to restock, it looks like most guests don't use them.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I don't provide tea lights or candles and my Fire Risk Assessments and T&Cs ask guests not to use them. Of course, I cannot control this, but if guests choose to bring them and cause a fire, I figure I'm covered because I warned them not to.
I don't use candles myself except in the garden, and it is absolutely beyond me why anyone needs candles on holiday, any more than others understand egg slicergate! :lol:
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I'm another one who takes her tea lights and holders on holiday with her as I've never yet found them in a holiday rental!

We have a no-candle policy but provide lots of tea lights and tall sided holders - it's very, very rare for a booking to go by when they're not all used. Bunny, it's a part of being on holiday for me and clearly for our guests - a chance to really chill out and create a special environment in a way that there's often not time to do at home: good music, a nice bottle of wine, a great dinner ... flickering lights are an absolute must!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

French Cricket wrote: ... flickering lights are an absolute must!
Not for me. I can't think of anything more irritating indoors. I can't bear dull light as I can't see a thing and it gives me eye strain, especially watching television or reading in dull light. I'm sat here now under a day light bulb directly over my chair.

I can't say that I've ever seen any evidence of tea lights being used in our cottage. I only once remember someone bringing candles in 10 years.
tavi

Post by tavi »

French Cricket wrote:I'm another one who takes her tea lights and holders on holiday with her as I've never yet found them in a holiday rental!

We have a no-candle policy but provide lots of tea lights and tall sided holders - it's very, very rare for a booking to go by when they're not all used. Bunny, it's a part of being on holiday for me and clearly for our guests - a chance to really chill out and create a special environment in a way that there's often not time to do at home: good music, a nice bottle of wine, a great dinner ... flickering lights are an absolute must!
Mine get used quite a lot too (AND I also take some on my own hols) ....

I provide citronella tealights for outside on the balcony not sure whether they really work keeping the mozzies away but...glass of cold white wine, twinkling tealights, roosting marshbirds tweeting (or whatever it is they do of an evening) Lovely summer:D

And inside in the winter, scented tealights, another glass of wine :D lamps on low, a DVD to watch...

Love that Mouse's elderly neighbours thought she was a witch!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

French Cricket wrote:I'm another one who takes her tea lights and holders on holiday with her as I've never yet found them in a holiday rental!

That's exactly how I feel FC. If you came here it would be a home from home for you :lol:

Actually...it is rare our candles (all supplied by us) are not used. Occasionally there's a mess to sort out with wax from the pillar candles....and the odd one melts when they leave them out in the sun, but it does seem to enhance the guest experience.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!