Do I need to worry about candles?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Love that Mouse's elderly neighbours thought she was a witch!
Tavi it gave me a real insight in to how minds worked here. Can't begin to tell you the daft rumours that start in this place.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Mouse wrote:[
and the odd one melts when they leave them out in the sun, but it does seem to enhance the guest experience.

Mouse
x
That's probably the key to the difference. Despite being in a rural location, my cottage is a completely different experience. We are very much a tourist/sight seeing destination. Guests are out most of the day (often in London leaving early and coming home late) and come home too dog tired to bother with candles. Guests rarely use the garden. In fact, I've only seen our barbeque used twice and we don't get much sun! :wink:
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Mouse wrote:
Love that Mouse's elderly neighbours thought she was a witch!
Tavi it gave me a real insight in to how minds worked here. Can't begin to tell you the daft rumours that start in this place.

Mousie
x
Goodness knows what they'd make of me then. I have candles and tea lights burning most evenings and quite often incense too!

Oh and bundles of herbs drying in the kitchen...
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Caro, do you also have a birch broom???? And a black cat??? And a herb garden.....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

PW in Polemi wrote:Caro, do you also have a birch broom???? And a black cat??? And a herb garden.....
I thought it was all required by the Welsh tourist board? Along with the funny hats?
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

PW in Polemi wrote:Caro, do you also have a birch broom???? And a black cat??? And a herb garden.....
Actually I'm afraid I do.... :shock: I am missing the hat though!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Bunny wrote:I don't provide tea lights or candles and my Fire Risk Assessments and T&Cs ask guests not to use them. Of course, I cannot control this, but if guests choose to bring them and cause a fire, I figure I'm covered because I warned them not to.
I don't use candles myself except in the garden, and it is absolutely beyond me why anyone needs candles on holiday, any more than others understand egg slicergate! :lol:
Ditto - in T&Cs - no naked flames in house.
aasta

Post by aasta »

we have tea lights with deep holders in the rooms and are much appreciated by guests.....also have recently found wax candles that have an electric light/battery operated (rechargable batteries) that look amazingly real with flickering light and have put several in the room that does not have a TV....guests love them!!!
aasta
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

tavi wrote:I provide tealights in solid based glass holders with straight sides, nothing flimsy or easily unbalanced. And one pillar candle inside a glass lantern with a bamboo frame thingy, which can only sit on a table.

Nothing that can be hung anywhere and no candles or candlesticks.

Not had any problems.

P.s. You do have a smoke alarm?
We did that and found some guests had lit tea candles all over our wooden surfaces; luckily no damage. Following on advice for quality in tourism, all candles are now banned in our properties and our Web site says so.

Jonathan
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Sorry, slightly digressing, but this thread reminds me of the guests in my old cottage who thought it would be a good idea to empty the ash from the open fire into a carrier bag. Result - one damaged burnt floor. Hence why I don't allow candles, because you can never under estimate guest stupidity at times. :roll:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Bunny wrote: you can never under estimate guest stupidity at times. :roll:
The ultimate in product testing - Is it Idiot proof? Is it Student proof? Is it Guest proof................
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Bunny wrote:Sorry, slightly digressing, but this thread reminds me of the guests in my old cottage who thought it would be a good idea to empty the ash from the open fire into a carrier bag. Result - one damaged burnt floor. Hence why I don't allow candles, because you can never under estimate guest stupidity at times. :roll:
Which is why we decided against open fires or stoves. I know poeple like them but to my mind the risk is too great.

Jonathan
Mike&Chrissy

Damage from candles

Post by Mike&Chrissy »

I know this is an old thread but our experience might be useful. We now ban candles after one group put candles on an outside window sill and caused charring and burn marks on our window frames. I think you have to be very risk-averse where naked flames are involved.
Jonathan

Re: Damage from candles

Post by Jonathan »

Mike&Chrissy wrote:I know this is an old thread but our experience might be useful. We now ban candles after one group put candles on an outside window sill and caused charring and burn marks on our window frames. I think you have to be very risk-averse where naked flames are involved.
We had a couple who had put tea lights all over the living room including on wooden surfaces. Luckily they didn't burn anything!

There was a horrific fire near us a few years ago when two girls died after the plastic bath one of them was using caught fire from a candle.

Jonathan
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Our Health and Saftey rules specify no candles. We rent mainly to families with children so won't take the risk.
The best things in life are free