Fewer bookings for late March and April this year

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
rosebud

Fewer bookings for late March and April this year

Post by rosebud »

I had a substantial number of bookings throughout Jan and in the first week of Feb but nothing since then.

Generally I am doing well but I am aware the value of my bookings (so far) is down for March & down considerably (by nearly 50%) for April.

I put up my prices for the year but generally this doesn't seem to have had an impact.

Should I reduce my prices for March and April, contact past guests with a reduction, or just hang on ...?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Could the early Easter break be the cause?
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I've been fully booked since New Year, but Easter is proving difficult for me. I've still got 3 weeks available in March but only 5 nights in April. So, Easter is still fully available, but I'm holding out for a full week let. I've had loads of enquiries for 3-4 nights over the Easter weekend, but I've declined them all. I may change my mind soon. I'm sure it must be something to do with Easter being so early this year.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

For me, it's been a bonus, as it is still early enough to ski, so have bookings for the ski season up to 5th April. We occasionally pick up a booking late in the day for the other weeks in April, but I am prepared that the 5th April will be the last checkout day. Summer bookings wont start for a while yet, although I have had a couple of enquiries already from past guests.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

We have noticed a marked dip in March but short notice bookings could yet come on strong.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
waterwitch

Post by waterwitch »

Our kids around here don't break up for Easter until 1st April so I'm not surprised we haven't been booked for Easter Week - lots of enquiries for the actual weekend, but like Bunny I'm holding out for a full 7 night booking for our larger house.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Surprising steady trickle of bookings for January and February which are often completely dead months.

March is looking very quiet - in Chester I've decided not to hold out for a full week at Easter after having trouble getting one in the last few years so I've taken a 5 night break. That's the only booking for March so far. Lots of schools don't break up until the 1st April, although ours does break up 24th March so the Easter holidays will be spread over about 3 weeks this year.

In Sidmouth we've got a short break booked in early March and then nothing until May! We're staying there over Easter otherwise we'd probably get a booking then.

We usually get some short notice bookings in the spring so I'm not panicking yet. I'm also going to try mailing some of our previous guests with some short break offers for March & April to see if that brings in any results.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Many thanks for the feedback.

Well in the last few days I have had another definite booking for March and a provisional one for April.

That means I am now down by 12% for March (however I have 5 days blocked out for repairs) and currently 25% for April ...
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Yeah, my gamble paid off turning away a weekend break and holding out for a full weeks let over Easter. I've just filled Easter with a 19 night business let making March fully booked at my full rate. Just need to fill 5 days at the end of April now. :D

Hold your nerve everybody.