Share your worpress site?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Musetta

Share your worpress site?

Post by Musetta »

I desperately need to revamp my wordpress site! It's so out of date I'm embarrassed to still be using it...if you love your wp theme (preferably a free one) & have it set up with static pages, rather than a staight blog, share your url? I'd love to see some great examples of HRs on Wordpress! Thanks for the ideas!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

You only save $50-$60 going by avoiding paying for a good theme. For the tools you get in a theme and the time saved in the styling, it seriously is not worth trying to be tight on this.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I'll look into them as well :-) I guess I need also to decide if I'm going to just start totally fresh (probably easiest for me since I am far far from wp expert!) &, if so, w a totally new url/blog/whatever-you-call-it and point people on my old one to it? Or erase the old contant but use the same url but then any links I've randomly listed and scattered everywhere for the past 9 yrs or whatever would lead people to broken links, right?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Musetta wrote:I'll look into them as well :-) I guess I need also to decide if I'm going to just start totally fresh (probably easiest for me since I am far far from wp expert!) &, if so, w a totally new url/blog/whatever-you-call-it and point people on my old one to it? Or erase the old contant but use the same url but then any links I've randomly listed and scattered everywhere for the past 9 yrs or whatever would lead people to broken links, right?
You can still setup a new layout and there are ways to copy your blog posts onto a new site, although I've never tried it. Perhaps look into some export plugins to see how it could work before deciding on what to do.

eg.
https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/tips ... ss-website

I'm sure I've had this conversation before :?:
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I'm sure I've had this conversation before :?:
Kev, well...I'm a little dense about this kind of stuff :-)! I know it seems simple to you! Thanks for the patience! :-) (I guess what I was trying to say though it is was I was considering keeping the blog and hr "website" separate and not put a page of posts on the site.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

If you are able to put your posts onto your site this would ensure your site has fresh content and it should do better!

I am no expert but am (slowly) creating a site following a course based on videos.
arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Post by arkvilla »

My website is new and is Wordpress, the link is in my signature :-)

Sandra
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Thanks, Sandra. That layout looks great. I'm going to try and play around with a few different ones and see what looks nice and is kind of simple!
isaxby

Post by isaxby »

Hi Sandra

I am struggling with WordPress at the moment trying to create our site, partly because I am new to WordPress and partly because I can't seem to find a good theme to start with.

Your website looks really good, could I ask which theme you used?

Thanks

Ian
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

1000s of themes at http://themeforest.net/

The theme used in Sandra's site is shown in the footer.

I always recommend to people to learn the basics of Wordpress first using some online tutorials before adding a theme. The theme might just make it even more confusing, especially some of the free ones, where it simply increases the number of short codes you have available.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I use a themeforest theme, mine is called website. Not free but I like it.
isaxby

Post by isaxby »

Thanks for the replies.

I started with Wix, here:

http://isaxby.wix.com/onefishermansloft

But then someone mentioned that Wix isn't great with search engines, which explained why it never appeared in a search - thankfully I was still using the free Wix option. So I stopped developing that and moved over to Wordpress.

I did do some online tutorials but think I might have jumped in before I was ready, I purchased a theme and have been struggling since. The good news is the new site does come up in a search (I disabled it as we haven't actually completed on buying the property yet, but want to be ready as soon as we have).

So I guess I will have to start learning again.

Thanks again.

Ian
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kevsboredagain wrote:1000s of themes at http://themeforest.net/
Another themeforest user here, I bought Udesign.

Whatever you choose, check that the theme is mobile responsive and have a look at the associated support forum for the theme - do they give good support and answer questions quickly, is the theme being well-maintained and updated?

You'll have to pay for a decent theme; it's a one-off purchase to get what you need so realistically the cost is pretty irrelevant.
Lets Go To Puglia

Post by Lets Go To Puglia »

I use WordPress for a number of sites, not just holiday property rentals. It can do pretty much everything I want.
Ciao, Debbie

Puglia Holiday Villas Facebook Page
---------------------
It's not the things you did you look back on and regret it's the things you didn't do!