Providing Towels / Linen halfway through rental

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
isplumm

Providing Towels / Linen halfway through rental

Post by isplumm »

Hi,

In my price I include linen / towels.

When people stay for more than one week, I am not sure whether to provide a 2nd set of towels / linen for the 2nd week.

What do other people do?

If I did decide to offer towels / linen for the 2nd week, I as thinking about saying that if they wanted them putting on the beds / bathrooms then there would be a charge of 10euros per person - so a maximum of 60 euros - that would include cleaning.

Thoughts?

Thanks Mark
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

We provide a full linen and towels change during 2 week stays at a pre arranged time but not a full clean, this allows the housekeepers to take a snapshot of the place and it lets the guests know the house is being discreetly monitored. Most guests are happy to cooperate and chat away to the housekeepers about the house, area etc.
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
tavi

Post by tavi »

For more than 7 nights I provide a full set of linen and towels in the wardrobe for them to change if they want to.

For a full two weeks I do the same but offer to send the cleaner in to do it....quite often they prefer to do it themselves.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I ask and surprisingly most people say, no thanks.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Our cottage is self catering, and most emphatically not in the luxury price bracket :lol: so for stays in excess of 8 nights, I leave a second set of bed linen and towels in the wardrobes. If the guests want clean towels/bed linen more often, there is a washing machine, soap, rotary clothes line, pegs and, of course, iron & ironing board.

Nobody's ever asked for the beds to be re-made after week 1 - in fact, they seem to prefer to (surprise surprise!) SELF cater. :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I've always left the change of sheets and plenty of extra towels in the linen closet...the towels *always* get used but, in 9 yrs & 2 properties, I have never, ever had anyone use an additional set of sheets....but I figure they're there if they want/need.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I used to take round extra bedding for them to change themselves, but now I go in an do it for them whilst they are out. I really don't want them washing existing bedding themselves and setting stains. It doesn't do them any harm to know that the owner is going to be coming in and see what sort of state the cottage is in. :wink: If they objected, I'd obviously not go in, but then I'd be a bit concerned as to why.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Musetta wrote:I've always left the change of sheets and plenty of extra towels in the linen closet...the towels *always* get used but, in 9 yrs & 2 properties, I have never, ever had anyone use an additional set of sheets....but I figure they're there if they want/need.
We do the same - towels & bed linen in airing cupboard, usually only the towels are used.
bessie

Post by bessie »

I always arrange a time to change Bedding,and towels for the second week .I think since the guest has paid the same for the second week as the first its only fair plus they get another cake which usually goes down very well.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

+1 bessie

We're not luxury here but the market dictates that we do a full clean, change of bedding and towels.....so effectively a changeover.

I don't discount for 2 week bookings so they get the normal service....a full clean, and walk in to a fully clean and prepped villa.

If anyone said they didn't want that (personally I'd find it strange given we cater for eight) then I might just insist as I wouldn't want to walk in to the villa after 2 weeks of no cleaning :shock:

If it was only a couple and they wanted to do it themselves then I would give a little back that I'd saved on the cleaning.

Mousie
x
Edited to type eight instead of 8
Last edited by Mouse on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

bessie wrote:I always arrange a time to change Bedding,and towels for the second week .I think since the guest has paid the same for the second week as the first its only fair plus they get another cake which usually goes down very well.
We do usually discount. Second week and tell guests that clean towels and bedding will be left for them. They are always happy to get the discount.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

kevsboredagain wrote:I ask and surprisingly most people say, no thanks.
I should add that by asking, the question is discount or change of sheets/towels. All so far have chosen the discount. I get the distinct feeling that most people prefer not to be disturbed during their stay.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

kevsboredagain wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote:I ask and surprisingly most people say, no thanks.
I should add that by asking, the question is discount or change of sheets/towels. All so far have chosen the discount. I get the distinct feeling that most people prefer not to be disturbed during their stay.
That's very true, but the lure of a discount is just too tempting to most people. :wink:

Reading all the responses, I'm beginning to think I've been making a rod for my own back by taking round the bedding for them to change. With me stood there at the door handing it over, they probably felt obliged to do it, because no body ever refused it. Perhaps I'll change to just leaving spare in the wardrobes from now on (except for business lets whereby I will still go in to do it) and see how often it gets used. :roll:
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

We provide a mid week towel change for 7 nights plus a mid stay towel and linen change with a clean for two week stays plus a discount on two week stays, effectively 14 nights for 13. Majority of stays are for 7 nights.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
russellt

mid-stay linen change

Post by russellt »

For >10 day stays, I ask my cleaner to go in and change the used bed linen and towels. She doesn't do a full clean as the guests usually have their gear lying all over the place.

I think it's only fair that we do a linen/towel refresh. The guests like it, and have commented positively on it, and a small number of bookings have expressly asked if we do this.

It does also send a message that the property is being cared for by people who are local, and very occasionally my cleaner has let me know of some concerns about the way the cottage is being treated.

A bit of a win/win, I think.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage