New to this - no bookings :(

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

LaderaCottage wrote:Reference Bunny post. Your property does indeed already appear on Homeaway.com VRBO.com Vacationrentals.com and a host of others. To see the list go to your OD dashboard and click "Edit Property & Rates". Now see to left corner near to the small lead picture of your property?

You will see the address of your property and below a line:
OwnersDirect UK # YOUR PROPERTY NUMBER Preview Listing
The PREVIEW LISTING is highlighted and by clicking on the arrow you will see all sites that your property is listed on as "LIVE". You can double check by going to those sites and typing in your property number in the search bar. I have just done that for you on Homeaway.com & VRBO and indeed your property is there!
OMG, thanks, I've never seen that before. I'm listed on more sister sites than I thought. For what good it's done me! Personally, I won't choose to list on any others as commission only, because I'll probably fall into one of their traps and find they apply on line payments etc to all sites including OD.
:roll:
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

LaderaCottage wrote:You have to pay extra now for Homeaway.co.uk BUT you can also list independently on there as a commission only listing
I was actually wondering about this myself. I'm on homeaway, vrbo, etc but not OD. I was going to set up a commission listing rather than pay the "global bundle" since I already have the US one...but is that the way to do it? They can't just add my vrbo listing on commission to the one but keep the subscription I have, right? I have quite a few reviews on vrbo/ha so it's a bummer to list the same property w the same company but loose them on od.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Cymraes, do you mind me asking which Agency you initially signed up with? Thanks.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Jenster wrote:Cymraes, do you mind me asking which Agency you initially signed up with? Thanks.
Sykes -but see my PM and look at the thread in members only before considering signing up.
nuneatonmark

Post by nuneatonmark »

We have always used an agent for our apartment in Cornwall. They take their 'pound of flesh' but they get ours booked up with no hassle and generally do a good job. They are www.selfcatercornwall.com, small enough to know their market very well but big enough to count. Even if you only use them for a year or two to get established it might be worth it. One day I will utilise my Joomla skills and set up a website for it but too busy at present.
Nuneaton Mark
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Welcome, Jenster.

You will find this site incredibly helpful, and there's always a friendly ear if you're feeling a bit despondent about something.

To get to your question, I would say don't worry. Sometimes you will get nothing at all and then a rush of enquiries. This year has been particularly slow but things are just picking up for me.
The one site I would personally recommend is Independent Cottages. They were the first site I listed with and for me it's still the best, and very cost effective. By logging on to your listing you get pushed to the top of the page for your area, and you can add late availability/offers for the next 8 weeks at no extra cost. (I'm not connected in any way other than as a customer).

I agree about a web site. You do need something even if it's very simple to begin with. I used moonfruit.com because I could try it free and I wanted to play and see how I got on, and I've just never changed it. Others may well advise differently.

Best of luck!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Not to confuse matters; I think Independent Cottages is great as a site, run by lovely people and I have been with it from the start of my business, but sadly, it's not working very well for me anymore. All this illustrates is that you must start somewhere, but you will never know which site works for you until you try!
bessie

Post by bessie »

+1 as Nemo says.
I listed with independent cottages before Christmas and within 24 hours had my first booking.
I like the way they listen to your comments about your property,they write the advert with care and attention to detail.
It's hard out there I don't want to be a small fish in a big agency bowl,been a Yorkshire lass I like the brass in my pocket not making big profits for someone else.
Look at elite cottages I found them helpful but others will give their view .
:lol:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I'll back up Nemo and bessie on Independent Cottages' service - it's what service used to be, from people who listen and care. I still get traffic from them, not as much as I'd like.
Bessie mentions Elite Cottages - I'm with them and get a reasonable amount of traffic to my own website from them. Worth a look.

It's all hard work at the moment; there's going to a big implosion in the next couple of years and a shift in how different markets search for holiday accommodation. Anyone got a functioning crystal ball?
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Thanks again for all the replies, they are very helpful. Well I took some better photos when the sun came out last week and added them to my listing and I took 6 bookings over the weekend! So things are looking up.

Its strange that I can go from nothing to 6 in two days but I guess thats the holiday rental market :D . The new photos clearly helped, and also I got a free 'featured listing' from OD as I phoned and complained about not getting any enquiries.

I also wanted to ask - if you go for a commission listing with TA, do you lower your rental prices slightly to compensate for the extra 'booking fee' the guest is charged? I have had no enquiries from TA and I'm wondering if I should do this.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Jenster wrote:I also wanted to ask - if you go for a commission listing with TA, do you lower your rental prices slightly to compensate for the extra 'booking fee' the guest is charged? I have had no enquiries from TA and I'm wondering if I should do this.
I use the same nightly and weekly tariff on all listing sites, regardless, of whether they have a guest booking/service fee applicable. Why should I have to subsidise the fact that guests have to pay a fee to the listing site? Similarly, I wouldn't up the prices to compensate for different commission levels on different listing sites - that's my cost of advertising.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
tavi

Post by tavi »

Great news Jenster.

Well done on the bookings. I just had a look at your OD listing - the proximity to the beach really comes across now and the interior shots are light and bright.

8)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes well done....I agree with tavi, those photos now do the location, and property, justice!

How lovely to be doing the dishes looking out at the sea! I have a similar photo as our kitchen overlooks the valley at the back and so many guests have commented on how they love to stare out as they wash.

Also liked the photos of the eateries as that immedietely helps people to start planning (oh would love to eat there) and build an emotional connection.

Hope things continue on the up!

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!