Can anyone help with a website problem please?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
JP

Can anyone help with a website problem please?

Post by JP »

Good Morning,
I am really struggling with a new site I am trying to get sorted and so are several more IT savvy people I have asked.
I wanted a responsive site as most people seem to be going mobile.
This isn't the finished site and the photos need improving but the problem I have is all seems to function ok on a desk/laptop and a lot of tablets and phones but on some, especially iPhone I get a problem in portrait mode where the text goes small in the top right hand corner but turn to landscape and it works ok.
Any ideas are most welcome.
James

www.2bis.co.uk
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

I'd start here if I were you...

https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3 ... s.co.uk%2F

I'm guessing those 'stray end tags' might have something to do with it.
JP

Post by JP »

Thank you for that, it's as clear as mud now 😧
I have passed it on to a man who may know a bit more than me but that isn't difficult as my coding training ended in 1987 with fotran and machine code.
I have built the site with rapidweaver which gives me a very hands off approach to web design.
James
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Try removing the stray end tags <\div> on line 51 and line 171.

Line 51 will then be blank
and line 171 will be </div><!-- End container -->
instead of </div><!-- End container --><\div>

The code will then validate but I don't know if it will cure your problem. Worth a try.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I can't test on an iphone but I'd also go with Dave's advice for starters.

I once had some pages that worked fine on every platform and every device EXCEPT the iphone with one particular browser. It was some erroneous HTML that was simply ignored by most browsers but caused a problem with the iphone.

Having the complete website overlaid on the images makes it tiring to read.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I realise you didn't ask for a review, but I agree with kev, having all the text over an image just makes it hard work to read. Then I realised it was moving images too. Even harder! Text should be easy to read, so it needs a plain background, plus you should also consider those with visual impairments and how hard you're making it for them too.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Like Nemo, I know you didn't ask for a review but in passing I'd just say that availability is with two A's :)

Good luck with the site - I admire you - I wouldn't know where to start doing my own so went the easy route with PMP.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Nemo wrote:I realise you didn't ask for a review, but I agree with kev, having all the text over an image just makes it hard work to read.
Agree with both Nemo and Kev. Interesting pix and words but a bit of a car crash when slammed together. Which is a shame because it's great to see a website with a different approach.

Good luck solving the tekkie stuff!
Jim