Guest overstays welcome

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
cysgod y coed

Guest overstays welcome

Post by cysgod y coed »

I had a repeat guest depart today. Our departure time is on or before 10.00 am. Last time she stayed with her toddler she left at 11.00.
She is a delightful guest. She leaves the place clean and even gives us little presents.
Today we arrived at 10.30 hoping she had gone. No such luck. With the two of us taking turns to listen to her we cleaned around her. She finally left at 14.00 with guests arriving at 15.00.
She will be coming again soon, how do we politely get her out at a reasonable time?
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.
tavi

Post by tavi »

If you tell her 10.00 am is check out time you really need to arrive at 10 otherwise she'll assume it's pretty elastic.

Next time remind her in writing before she comes and again the day before departure... or perhaps you do that already?

Tell her she can have an extra hour til 11h and that you've promised the incoming guest they can come in an hour early so you really need her to depart promptly?

Or, the passive-agressive approach: :D

Recruit two more "cleaners" (family members?) so that four of you wearing rubber gloves come crashing through the door on the dot of 11 and spread out through the property.
If she's still there, turn all beds upside down, remove cushions of sofas, and vacuum everything in sight with as much noise as possible.
Grab her suitcase and set off towards her car offering to put it in the boot for her.

Don't know really, but staying til 14 really takes the biscuit. Difficult when it's a repeat guest.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Oh dear, that really is taking the proverbial! I can imagine it might be a bit tricky to get the message across now that she's stayed until 2pm and watched you manage to clean the place around her. Could you feign an important viewing with e.g. a future guest (or similar) at midday and you're really sorry but while you'd love to stay and chat, you're very pushed for time this time and need her gone?
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Yes, I think you could easily say you are really pushed for time and need to have the place done by 12 as you have an appointment or something. I think I would then stick to the 10 o'clock leaving time and in the nicest possible way make it clear that you and whoever have to get on and don't have a moment to chat and ask her if she needs help getting her luggage into the car if she seems to be delaying .....
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Do you have any friends who could arrive at 11:00 with suitcases in hand apologising for arriving early?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

If you want to be subtle offer her the possibility for late departure for an appropriate fee. Im guessing if she hasnt far to travel so she is in no rush to leave.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I'm afraid you have set the precedent which says that you can work around their late departure. This needs to be broken.

I rather like tavi's alternative passive-aggressive approach, and since you probably do want them back as repeat guests, it should be used in conjunction with a special note prior to their next departure that you really do need them out by 10.

If it were me, I would not give them the extra hour as it indicates "flexibility". Somehow you need to undo the precedent.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I would tell her that someone else has PAID for an early access arriving off a long haul flight, therefore, it is crucial that she leaves by 10.00am.

And agree with others about no half measures i.e. no extra hour. 10.00 means 10.00.
Last edited by Bunny on Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

Thanks for your suggestions.
We must harden up a little and be firm.
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.
Essar

Post by Essar »

cysgod y coed wrote:Thanks for your suggestions.
We must harden up a little and be firm.
Step back and detach yourself for a moment- this guest obviously has no idea that there is a reason why she has to out by a certain time - this has happened because you let it happen and went along with her nattering. Makiing up stories about early arrivals and getting your mates to bring their suitcases is just 80ll0ck$. Get a grip and be businesslike, otherwise, she will do it next time.
:x
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

The suggestions are because CYC doesn't want to be blunt with her, especially when she is clearly a good guest in every other way and has brought little presents. Having set the precedent and got herself (himself) into the difficult situation of allowing the guest to depart late previously, it has already blurred the business relationship. It's much harder to be business like when you've already dropped your guard. It's one thing to be tough and business like with guests who are knowingly taking the P, but this one genuinely seems to be in a world of her own and would probably be mortified if she knew she had outstayed her welcome. Sometimes it's just easier to let people know gently.
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

The guest in question is now a single mum going through a messy break up. Our place is becoming a haven of peace and tranquility for her. We are fast becoming her best friends. She wants to relocate to our area and is looking for a new home.
The lines have definitely been blurred.
Things will settle down I am sure. We will politely tell her next time she visits.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Bunny wrote:The suggestions are because CYC doesn't want to be blunt with her...
Agreed however Essar is right. Making up reasons for the next visit is just about OK, but what about the visit after? More mates with cases? More long haul guests? Can't keep making up stories.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Treat this experience as a valuable lesson and ensure all your booking correspondence to future guests is very clear about arrival / departure dates and times and remind them to read your t&cs about all aspects of the property, a lot dont so include it every time you send an email to them. Also leave a laminated version of your t&c's including departure times with the instructions inside the house. You can also remind them that their d/d will be returned soon after departure at (10am) on departure day. We have in the past sent a polite email to 'suspect forgetters' just prior to departure to remind them that our housekeepers will be at the property at 10am on departure day. Good luck and hope this guest returns again and again, and departs on time again and again.... :D
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

cysgod y coed wrote:The guest in question is now a single mum going through a messy break up. Our place is becoming a haven of peace and tranquility for her.
I suspected it was something like this. Sounds like she is very stressed and fundamentally lonely and desperate for some adult company to talk to. Through no fault of their own, people in this situation don't think clearly or see beyond their own personal needs. But, one way or another it has to be done, for your own sake. Good luck. Let us know how it goes when she next comes.