Good Local Agency for North Devon

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Berty24

Post by Berty24 »

We have a holiday home in Mortehoe, near Woolacombe. We have been using Marsdens for three years. I negotiated so that I could market it separately under holiday lettings and owners direct as well (although I cannot undercut them I enjoy doing a bit of the work and not having to pay commission). I have to say that 80 per cent of bookings come via Marsdens. If I had gone through HL / OD in the first year without an agency I would not have had half the number come through - not enough requests. Marsdens charge 18.5% commission plus VAT. It comes to about 23%. Now that we have been with them for three years I am negotiating it down further. I have been looking into holidaycottages.co.uk but they charge 22% plus VAT I think.... Holidayhomehunters.co.uk is a small independent company who also charge around 18% plus VAT. I think they are quite good, but mainly advertise through HL /OD. Marsdens seem to have a huge following in middle England. I get quite a few last minute bookings via marsdens too that I simply would not get if I only used HL/OD. I did think initially that I would use an agency for a couple of years only and then go it alone, but at the moment they are getting us so many bookings and lots of repeat bookings so I will stay with them for another year at least. Holidaycottages do come up first on a google search - they seem to be quite a big company, so maybe worth speaking to them too.
Rich44

Post by Rich44 »

Berty24 wrote:We have a holiday home in Mortehoe, near Woolacombe. We have been using Marsdens for three years. I negotiated so that I could market it separately under holiday lettings and owners direct as well (although I cannot undercut them I enjoy doing a bit of the work and not having to pay commission). I have to say that 80 per cent of bookings come via Marsdens. If I had gone through HL / OD in the first year without an agency I would not have had half the number come through - not enough requests. Marsdens charge 18.5% commission plus VAT. It comes to about 23%. Now that we have been with them for three years I am negotiating it down further. I have been looking into holidaycottages.co.uk but they charge 22% plus VAT I think.... Holidayhomehunters.co.uk is a small independent company who also charge around 18% plus VAT. I think they are quite good, but mainly advertise through HL /OD. Marsdens seem to have a huge following in middle England. I get quite a few last minute bookings via marsdens too that I simply would not get if I only used HL/OD. I did think initially that I would use an agency for a couple of years only and then go it alone, but at the moment they are getting us so many bookings and lots of repeat bookings so I will stay with them for another year at least. Holidaycottages do come up first on a google search - they seem to be quite a big company, so maybe worth speaking to them too.
Hi Berty - thanks for that. Yes, Holiday Cottages do charge 22% plus VAT, which I feel is an outrageous fee level, Interesting re Marsdens, I hadnt even though to consider them. What sort of occupancy levels do you get out of the last 3 years if you dont mind me asking?
Looking to move to Devon in early 2017 and doing some homework on the holiday letting market for when I buy one.
Berty24

Post by Berty24 »

As an example in the 2015/16 tax year I had one 3 bed flat booked for 219 days - 55 days via HL/OD v 164 via Marsdens. So far this tax year we have 141 days booked and the majority have been done by Marsdens.Yes I would love to be in a position to get all of their commission as profits but I sincerely doubt I would get as many bookings - there is so much competition on the internet. So important to get people through the door for the first couple of years. If you are near Woolacombe I know a great housekeeper!
I do have an issue with the CPS that Marsdens charge (cancellation premium) but I cant do anything about it though. Thats a different issue! generally pleased with them
Berty24

Post by Berty24 »

I forgot to say, that the bookings I get via HL/OD do involve quite a lot of paperwork! Need to be quite organised, sending them info on accessing property etc, so Marsdens takes that out of your hands completely