check in time

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Wirksworth13

check in time

Post by Wirksworth13 »

We have a 3pm check in time but have just received an email from a guest due with in the week saying they will be arriving at about 12 noon if that is convenient? No it isn't but how do I put that politely? Sometimes we can accommodate early arrivals but this is on a Tuesday and we both work and manage it ourselves. I set the 10am departure and 3pm arrival as I thought that was pretty standard (and they fit into our work times) as these are the times usually offered to us when holidaying in the UK............
First foray into this malarky
https://www.facebook.com/StayAtStemples/
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

Just say no, politely, with your explanation.
If there is a local attraction or a good place to lunch, suggest they go there.
You need the time to get things right for them. They would surely not like an untidy place.
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.
lester1meg

Post by lester1meg »

Say 'no' firmly. You have standards to keep up and they booked knowing what time your check in was. It's not as if there isn't plenty they could go to on their way in your part of Derbyshire.
Wirksworth13

Post by Wirksworth13 »

Just drafting - thank you so much. I guess I knew what to say but was just a bit annoyed but don't want to start off on the wrong foot as I want to be WELCOMING! Does this sound OK before I hit send

Our usual arrival time is 3pm. We can often offer an earlier arrival time at the weekend but midweek is a little bit more difficult due to work commitments and ensuring the cottage is ready for your arrival, I will email you tomorrow and advise the earliest arrival time that is possible.

However if you were to arrive in the area earlier than this I can suggest a few things for you to do. Perhaps have a spot of lunch at Huntley Green, Market Place, Cromford, DE4 3QE, a lovely deli where Greg and Kelly will give you a warm welcome and some excellent food ( only a mile away from the cottage) followed by a stroll along the canal. Or a pub lunch at the Boat Inn, Cromford where Lorraine & Dave will offer the same warm welcome with huge portions! You will definitely need a stroll after eating there.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

I would just stick with your 3pm arrival time. The information on what to do while they wait is useful though.

I put the following on my pre-arrival email:

What time can we get into T&#375; Haf when we arrive?
Access to T&#375; Haf is from 3pm onwards, if you want to arrive earlier you are very welcome to leave your car and head out for a walk or down to the beach until the accommodation is ready. Please arrange this with us in advance.
Wirksworth13

Post by Wirksworth13 »

Thank you all for your input. Was just struggling to keep the balance between me getting stressed and happy guests. Will let you know the outcome
Unibond3

Post by Unibond3 »

A request to arrive early is something we regularly encounter. Innitially we tried tobe kind - and soon learnt our lesson. If people arrive while cleaning is still going on, two things happen (and forgive me for stating the blilndingly obvious):

1. Guests will imediately note the bits that aren't clean and be grumpy about it - even after they have been cleaned.

2. Cleaners cannot do otheir jobs properly with guests running around the house starting to unpack - so the cleaning isn't done properly and guests complain, completely forgetting the fact that you were trying to do them a favour.

Matters came to a head when a child from an early arrival picked up a can of spray polish and tried to 'polish' his sister with it. Suddenly you are into a whole new public liability and insurance game. The lesson we learned is that while cleaning equipment and chemicals are at large in the house (and spray polish falls firmly into that category) - you CANNOT have guests in, unless you are prepared to accept all liability for any injuries and accidents that occur through their presence.

Instead, we keep a little list of things for early arrivals to do that doesn't necessitate having to unpack their car beforehand. It includes things within walking distance (cafes, shops, attractions and local walks) and one or two things within a short drive where this is safe parking. We e-mail this to guests in advance if they ask about an early arrival. It lessens the disappointment and makes them think you really do care about them (and reduces the likelihood of subsequent complaints).

I hope this will give you a little more confidence in saying no to requests to turn up before you are damn well ready to welcome them!
Rick Bond
If you build it (properly) - people will come.

<a href="http://www.myfavouriteholidaycottages.co.uk">My Favourite Holiday Cottages</a>
<a href="http://www.myholidaymarketing.co.uk">My Holiday Marketing</a>
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

In this situation I always word it similarly to Wirksworth, by just saying that I need all the time required in order to ensure the cottage is ready for their arrival. I resist the urge to use phrases like "to ensure the cottage is pristine/spotless/thoroughly cleaned" etc. My rationale on this is that if they are peeved at being refused an early access, they are likely to being picky and use this against you if all is not perfect on arrival.
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

Wirksworth13 I like the way you have worded the things to do if you arrive early. I think it would go a long way to diffuse disappointment. I allow early arrivals if I don't have a same day changeover but like others have already said I have learnt my lesson trying to bust a gut to get it ready earlier. It's usually people with babies/toddlers that want to get in early, I find.
So much to learn....so little time!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Orsonthecat wrote:It's usually people with babies/toddlers that want to get in early, I find.
Or the older generation who want to have their afternoon nap. Considering most of them have 'forty winks' in the armchair, I'm not really sure why they can't just kip in the car somewhere.
Essar

Post by Essar »

I never allow early arrivals for all the reasons stated above - if anyone arrives on the "off-chance" I always give them the same candid reply - "feck-off and come back at the agreed time of 3, tw4t". Never fails and everyone is happy! I have just won an award for "Best customer service in my own lunchtime".
:lol:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I must admit I only allow early arrivals in exceptional circumstances and when they ask very nicely. When you have back to back bookings, if I've got the cottage ready early, that time in between is too precious. There's nothing nicer than that window of peace and relaxation before the next set of guests arrive and it's an opportunity to get any little jobs done.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

If there is no one in the cottage the previous week then I'll offer an early check in. The cottage is ready anyway, it's no skin off my nose if they are in a few hours early and it gets me a few brownie points.

From May to September though it's back to back bookings so the answer has to be no.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Essar wrote:I never allow early arrivals for all the reasons stated above - if anyone arrives on the "off-chance" I always give them the same candid reply - "feck-off and come back at the agreed time of 3, tw4t". Never fails and everyone is happy! I have just won an award for "Best customer service in my own lunchtime".
:lol:
+1

Just can't do it with B&B - too many comings and goings, you need to have some structure. "If you arrive early there is a lay-by at the end of the drive where you can park and stretch your legs - you can take a walk in the forest, or in case of bad weather the nearby the church murals and organ are interesting."

:wink:
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Had one last week. Returning guests from abroad (we don't get many from outside UK) had just booked a week and paid the deposit.
Then I get an email the next morning while I'm having my breakfast: "Our flight gets in to Manchester Tuesday am and we'll hire a car and head straight up; should be with you about noon, will that be okay?"
Oh FFS...... polite email back, it depends if we have guests leaving that day etc etc, dump your luggage and do an Essar etc etc.

Response "I thought as we're booked in from Monday then it wouldn't matter what time we arrive on the Tuesday....... "

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Backtrack, apologise for brain fade, yes you are booked in from Monday aren't you? Do arrive whenever you want to on the Tuesday....... (grovel).

And the lesson? Must be something to do with reading all the words, or not over breakfast, or it's time to get out, or........ sometimes guests just realise that if they want an early arrival they need to book the previous night as well, or that they won't get a reduced rate for 6 nights instead of 7 - but how are we all supposed to expect that?