Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Optimising for the search engines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livinginitaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little pointer regarding getting the most impact from the search engines, here's a little guide provided by Site Pro News ...
Quote:
1) Target one word for each page: A huge mistake that many beginners make is cramming numerous keywords onto every page. Instead of doing this, you should focus on one specific keyword for each page. That way, you can make sure that the page is focusing on that one word without any distractions. If you want to target multiple keywords then it is necessary to create a separate page for each.

2) List your major keywords in the links back to your site: Many search engines, Google being the most famous, have started to take into account the words that are mentioned in the title tag of the links that point to your site. So, a great way to improve your rankings for your keywords is to place it in the title tag.

3) Make your first 100 words on the page keyword rich: Another mistake that most webmasters make is to have a menu on the left-hand side of a website. Since search engines primarily focus on the first 100 words of a website, a left side menu is a misuse of valuable space.

Instead of doing this, you should have your title, description and web copy within the first 100 words of your site. An easy way to do this is to have your menu on the right instead of the standard left-hand side.

But, since the left-handed menu is commonplace, you can also choose to put your first 100 words above the left-handed menu, so this text will be the first thing read on your website.

4) Insert the keyword into your title tag: In the source code of most pages are "header tags" (also known as Meta tags), which help search engines understand the content of the page.

To fully optimize your website, you can tweak the source code of the page. The first step is to insert the keyword in the title tag. (This is what is shown in the results of a search engine when your site is listed)

5) Insert your keywords in the description tag: The description Meta tag is almost as valuable as the title tag. The information in this tag is listed directly below the title tag in search engine results. As a result, a good description can make your website stand out from other listings. To get the prospect to clïck on your site, it is important to write a snappy description while using your keyword.

6) Insert them into your keywords tag: Like the title and description tags, keyword tags are used to help search engines understand the content of your web page. Although this Meta tag has become less popular, it doesn’t hurt to put your keywords hëre.

7) Place your keyword in the header: When writing the actual text of your site, the first part should be the headline. Whenever a search engine scans your site, it rates all words in the headline as being more important then the rest of the web copy. To take advantage of this, you should have your keyword in the page headline. But, since the header tag (h1) is quite large, you should format it so that it is smaller.

8) Write your keyword enriched web copy: Once you have set up the structure of your page, you can write your web copy. While creating the text, you want to include the majority of the keywords at the top and the bottom of the page. In addition, the keyword should be included a few times in the middle. Basically, the common saying is that the keyword density should resemble an hour glass shape.

The total web copy of your page should be about 300-500 words. Also, the keyword should be about 5-12% of the total words of the page. The percentage varies according to each search engine, so you might want to play around till you find the best results.

paolo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have deleted an article from this thread, and one from another thread, as well as subsequent posts which would make no sense on their own.

These articles were copied from another site. Anything that appears on this forum is my responsibility, so please don't post anything in your name that you have don't own the copyright to.
ravetildon

Location: I love Travel! - We Are Based Around San Francisco, California

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: info Reply with quote

Still very good advice. Do that and you will be number one.
HenryG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Paolo's advice: How to get your site found by the search engines

It is very generous of him and l have learnt much.

So I will share a few tips of my own:

1. Read Google's Guidelines.

Again and again. Avoid dirty tricks - Google will may penalize you or even ban you for good.

2. Make sure your website rarely goes offline

Specially, for an extended period of time.

If your website is offline for days - you may be removed completed from Google's index and get "sandboxed".
Making it very hard for you to regain your position again.

3. Google and people love fast sites.

Avoid Heavy Images - probably the main cause of long downloads.
If your website takes more than 4 seconds to download, most visitors will leave.

This was mentioned on a BBC article
MartinP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may add my experience to the list...

Firstly, I agree with all of the above. In addition:

9) To get your site noticed by Google, quickly, be sure to add a sitemap.xml file and register it with Google.

On my Apple Mac this is achieved really easily with software called "RAGE Google Sitemap Automater". I'd be surprised if there wasn't something almost as good for Windows.

All the new sites with which I used this method became "findable" via Google within a maximum of seven days! I could see in the visitor statistics that the "googlebot" was "hitting" the site many times within a couple of hours of my registering the file and, as I added more pages to each site, the "hits" continued every two days.

Which brings me to

10) Keep adding new pages for as long as possible. After that, keep updating information on the pages. Google tends to "lose interest" in a site that appears to have been "left fallow" for too long. It loves a growing site. That's my experience, anyway.

But DON'T add the words "under construction". I'm fairly sure that Google gives black marks for that!

Before you register your sitemap.xml file, your site should appear to be finished. Don't forget to update your sitemap.xml file each time you add a page.

11) Don't ever delete a page! At least, don't delete the file on the server. Google searchers hate to click on a link and get "404 Not Found". If you need to delete a page content, replace it as a minimum with a link to a similar page or to the home page. But why would you want to reduce your rating by deleting content? If it's out of date, simply prefix it with a note to explain that it's out of date.

Last edited by MartinP on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
HenryG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but your 10 = not true

MartinP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm merely reporting the results of my experience. Therefore it can't possibly be "not true". Cool
(I don't know which part of 10 you are referring to, anyway.)

You may, of course, state that it's not true in your experience or that Google states somewhere that it won't help your ratings. But we all know that Google tells "porkies" and changes its policy more often than my wife changes her handbag.
HenryG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand it can be all very subjective.

Another person stated that a site needs to be over 200 words otherwise Google penalizes.

Again: In my experience = not true.

IN fact, the opposite, everytime I tried to update a site, I lose precious SEO results.

Recently I lost my "villas" keyword search results
Why?
It happened after I updated a page on my site:

villas near Pisa
eco villas in Tuscany

all lost Sad

This was discussed before, it *****APPEARS****** google tags sites that frequently updates itself: ie blogs and news sites and sites that are pretty much static.

So if you are a blog or a news site or a forum, updating is good.
If you are a static site, updating = not so good.
MartinP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the difference lies in the way we measure results. You are trying to optimise your sites for specific keywords.

In contrast, I simply provide information for visitors and I measure the success in terms of number of orders (on a sales site) and amount of money earned (on an Adsense advert site). I make very little attempt to optimise specific words because the results fluctuate from day to day. I do occasionally add a phrase if I see that it's something people search for (and is relevant to what I sell) but that's as far as I go. It's easy to become distracted with "optimising for its own sake" rather than concentrating on the bottom line - how much I earn each month. But I've been making web sites and selling on-line for almost fourteen years, so I think I have gained sufficient experience to make me at least "competent", if not "expert" at making money from sites.
HenryG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mind me, I am just a newbie.
I personally don't make much money, others have.
That's my hobby.
bananacake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryG wrote:
I understand it can be all very subjective.

This was discussed before, it *****APPEARS****** google tags sites that frequently updates itself: ie blogs and news sites and sites that are pretty much static.

So if you are a blog or a news site or a forum, updating is good.
If you are a static site, updating = not so good.

would you say that incorporating your blogspot blog within your vacation rental.com site be the best way to go to improve SEO (providing that the blog contains relevant information)?
NewquayGetAway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

livinginitaly wrote:
Just a little pointer regarding getting the most impact from the search engines, here's a little guide provided by Site Pro News ...
Quote:
1) Target one word for each page: A huge mistake that many beginners make is cramming numerous keywords onto every page. Instead of doing this, you should focus on one specific keyword for each page. That way, you can make sure that the page is focusing on that one word without any distractions. If you want to target multiple keywords then it is necessary to create a separate page for each.

2) List your major keywords in the links back to your site: Many search engines, Google being the most famous, have started to take into account the words that are mentioned in the title tag of the links that point to your site. So, a great way to improve your rankings for your keywords is to place it in the title tag.

3) Make your first 100 words on the page keyword rich: Another mistake that most webmasters make is to have a menu on the left-hand side of a website. Since search engines primarily focus on the first 100 words of a website, a left side menu is a misuse of valuable space.

Instead of doing this, you should have your title, description and web copy within the first 100 words of your site. An easy way to do this is to have your menu on the right instead of the standard left-hand side.

But, since the left-handed menu is commonplace, you can also choose to put your first 100 words above the left-handed menu, so this text will be the first thing read on your website.

4) Insert the keyword into your title tag: In the source code of most pages are "header tags" (also known as Meta tags), which help search engines understand the content of the page.

To fully optimize your website, you can tweak the source code of the page. The first step is to insert the keyword in the title tag. (This is what is shown in the results of a search engine when your site is listed)

5) Insert your keywords in the description tag: The description Meta tag is almost as valuable as the title tag. The information in this tag is listed directly below the title tag in search engine results. As a result, a good description can make your website stand out from other listings. To get the prospect to clïck on your site, it is important to write a snappy description while using your keyword.

6) Insert them into your keywords tag: Like the title and description tags, keyword tags are used to help search engines understand the content of your web page. Although this Meta tag has become less popular, it doesn’t hurt to put your keywords hëre.

7) Place your keyword in the header: When writing the actual text of your site, the first part should be the headline. Whenever a search engine scans your site, it rates all words in the headline as being more important then the rest of the web copy. To take advantage of this, you should have your keyword in the page headline. But, since the header tag (h1) is quite large, you should format it so that it is smaller.

Cool Write your keyword enriched web copy: Once you have set up the structure of your page, you can write your web copy. While creating the text, you want to include the majority of the keywords at the top and the bottom of the page. In addition, the keyword should be included a few times in the middle. Basically, the common saying is that the keyword density should resemble an hour glass shape.

The total web copy of your page should be about 300-500 words. Also, the keyword should be about 5-12% of the total words of the page. The percentage varies according to each search engine, so you might want to play around till you find the best results.

great advice - thanks for taking the time to do this Smile
omar222

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would add to the information below is to be unique and sincere about your link building and content. Target word stuffing can backfire.
I would also suggest being a good sincere member of the community you are targeting.
Good luck

livinginitaly wrote:
Quote:

Cool Write your keyword enriched web copy: Once you have set up the structure of your page, you can write your web copy. While creating the text, you want to include the majority of the keywords at the top and the bottom of the page. In addition, the keyword should be included a few times in the middle. Basically, the common saying is that the keyword density should resemble an hour glass shape.

Nemo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea of whether the advice in here is true still, but just wanted to point out that this resurrected thread is actually EIGHT years old.

Prehistoric I would have thought in the internet age? Wink
Medoc Bob

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: How Google Works? Reply with quote

If any of you remember using the internet in the late 90's You will remember how difficult using a search engine was. Phrasing a common sense search in a weird way to get the results you wanted.
So why did Google become the all encompassing search engine, because it tried to work like You and me.
So with all the amazing tricks and cheats you may read and see. The best way for your site to appear high on Google is to make your site "human" friendly. That to me and you is make it friendly to your customers....which, think about it is exactly what you want anyway.

My top tips to a good site are.

1. Make all your text normal, don't load it with keywords.
2. Use headers, and use your keywords here
3.Make the title to your page relevant to the text on your website
4. Maybe should be number 1. Make sure all your links work....think about it we all hate clicking on a link that is no longer there....Google thinks the same
5. If you choose to not dump webpages ( as in the previous post, in my opinion really bad advice ) make sure there are still links on your site.......it is nearly as bad as white text on a white background
6.Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself.......cliches exist because they are true.
Build your site to appeal to yourself then the chances are they will appeal to your customers

Bob
How to build your own personal website from scratch