4 'Top' American rental sites for £95?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Hot into my email intray re the 25 million:

The combined traffic to the 3 US sites CR, GR and A1 is 25 million visitors per year (2005)

I can't resist, especially as HA has 2 Swiss properties out of 65,000 listed.

Goat
memes

Post by memes »

hmm lies damn lies and statistics though - is that unique visitors? or is it the same lot going to each site so 3 x 8million? is it every time the same person visits they become another visitor or do they only count once? I'm v cynical about these things - used to work in telly and we would claim 50 mill coronation st viewers in a week of course it was pretty much the same ten mill returning every episiode..
I am tempted too though as I've turned up on one site already I wonder if the others will follow anyway if they are trying to build their low europe presence. let us know how you get on Goat..
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

I got the same email, and it also invited me look at my advert on Homeaway. Trouble is when I looked there my property didn't exist.

Have I have misunderstood their comment, (although there are 86 other listings for Morbihan)?

Am I so stupid that I cannot even key in the right area or right ref. no?

Have they forgotten me?

Are they still updating, in which case why send me the email?

I remain unimpressed with HR.

Robert
garlic

Post by garlic »

I'm with slow travel too and not a single enquiry or rather a fair few irritating scams and not a single genuine enquiry.

I tried contacting the silversurfers lot but never got a reply.

There's a British site called walkingworld.com and I advertise on there it's only 15 pounds (can't find my pound symbol because I'm using american keyboard) you just pay the money to register with the site and can then place your ad...but I haven't had a single query from there...still I suppose it's worth being on the site. There's also another site called peaktopeak and I'm linked to from there...I think I just wrote and asked.

I'm thinking of trying to sign up with responsible travel but I'm worried that they'll want to charge me as a tour company rather than holiday home owner....I'd love to find more walker/cyclist naturey type places to advertise...cos I'm definitely not villa with pool.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Garlic, I am thinking of lisitng with responsibel travel too, but my winter bookings and enquiries are going so well at the moment, that it will probably be next year now.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

My mole at HR reports 25 million unique visitors and 40 million visits on the US sites as a whole.

I'm glad I don't have to flog double-glazing to you guys, it would be get-my-coat on Day 1.

Goat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Ah, yes, there I am on Homeaway.

No, I had never heard of them, but then I also don't typically go looking for vacation rentals in the States.

It'll be interesting to see whether I get any inquiries. Likely no, is my guess...
Brooke
Marion

Post by Marion »

I've just received an enquiry from HR via the HA network, for 2 weeks next May. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come!

However, I cannot login to update the ad, or maybe it is updated automatically when you update HR. Also I did not receive a text alert for it. I can feel a couple of questions to HR coming on.

Marion
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Marion, I know nothing, but I would have thought it logical there is only a single update path, via HR, otherwise things could get a bit out-of-hand.

I'm sure you will get a reply from your post later on re the SMS alert - that might be more difficult technically, and I seem to remember the link to HA is not due to roll out officially yet.

So there are another 24,999,999 punters still looking - it's quite exciting isn't it? I thing I'll freshen up the paper in my printer....

Goat
Forrest Gump

Post by Forrest Gump »

memes wrote:Yes have been on slowtrav for nearly a year. Not one enquiry. Very disappointing.
Memes, I'm trying to access Slowtrav as we speak. Is your property advertised in the classified ads (http://www.slowtrav.com/cl/) section? My browser isn't opening this up :? I clicked on the link about 10 minutes ago and I'm still waiting for the page to load up.

Is anyone else having this problem? If I was a potential renter I would have left the site frustrated by now.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Re SlowTrav.

I'm using:

http://www.slowtrav.com/cl/

as well.

I'm in the UK, 600 Megawhatsits Broadband, instant access at 1030 UK time Monday, IE6 as browser.

Goat
Forrest Gump

Post by Forrest Gump »

Mountain Goat wrote:Re SlowTrav.

I'm using:

http://www.slowtrav.com/cl/

as well.

I'm in the UK, 600 Megawhatsits Broadband, instant access at 1030 UK time Monday, IE6 as browser.

Goat
Loading swiftly now, thanks Goat :) That was strange though.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I get it the whole time (but not this site particularly). Talking to our IT guru he starts talking about 'contention ratios' in our village. What I think he means is that everyone gets into the office on Monday morning, has a coffee, talks about the weekend, and around 1030ish everyone picks up their email etc. and the local village network grinds to a halt.

Our electrican says much the same thing with local power - apparently they have to flick every switch on in a power station to catch the surge when everyone makes a cup of tea during the Coro (Big Brother, EastEnders) commercial breaks or whatever - the whole country could seize up unless they do.

Our current wireless access point (Netgear) is driving me crazy, and it's been another 1 1/2 hours to Delhi already today talking to their tech. support (who actually are good, it's just the products I'm not impressed with).

Goat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Just loaded up fine for me.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Slowtravel opens instantly for me.

I'm using France Telecom ADSL at 1.2 mb. It's a bit dodgy during electrical storms but otherwise it's fine.

I use a Netgear Wireless Network which is totally reliable. It's also very easy to manage - for my model (DG834G) I just connect to http://192.168.0.1/ and follow the instructions.

Alan