Washer/Dryer Combi recommendations?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Paul Carmel

Washer/Dryer Combi recommendations?

Post by Paul Carmel »

My prime concern is condensation as the kitchen has no windows, the place smells a bit damp because all clothes are left to dry on racks. Any thoughts.... Frankly I have looked at so many reviews, and l can't see the wood for the tree's anymore!!
Cheers
PC
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I've had a number of washer-dryers in my lifetime and the best I've found is Bosch.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We had a Zanussi once which was very good.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Paul, is there any way to get a vent/hose into the kitchen via wall or ceiling voids? if so go down this route. If not Indesit do a not too expensive condenser dryer for rooms with no vent outlet facility. Just be sure to make it clear that the moisture drawer has to be emptied after use.
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

The place is fairly subterranean.....it's from the 16:hundreds so drilling holes to the outside is a major task...
Cheers
PC
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

A condenser tumble drier / condenser washer-drier combo pumps out warm damp air and will create condensation if the ventilation is poor. I would definitely not go that route.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Only warm dry air should come from a correctly fitted and maintained appliance, if its damp its not doing its job
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I just know you must be bored PC, so you could while away a bit of time browsing www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk which has all sorts of useful advice (or at least it used to - call that a disclaimer!).
I'm guessing you can't fit a separate washer and dryer, but if you can we've never had issues with a condenser dryer in our house, although as salmoncottage says it's very important to empty the water receptacle (I think the machine shuts down if it's full).
We have a washer/dryer in one of the lets and again no issues - it dumps the condensed moisture down the outlet pipe.
The issue with a washer/dryer combo is the time it takes to dry - if someone has a second load to wash they're likely to forego the drying cycle of the first load and drape it everywhere, problem not solved!

The website I linked above is frequented by a number of technicians with sharp end experience of a lot of kit, and Bosch seems generally to be the preferred brand for quality and reliability at a sensible price (ie not Miele territory).
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

salmoncottage wrote:Only warm dry air should come from a correctly fitted and maintained appliance, if its damp its not doing its job
Fair enough - I was just told this by another owner who had condensation problems once they changed from a vented dryer to a condenser dryer. Obviously they were not using it properly or they misinterpreted the cause! :)

There again, maybe lack of ventilation contributed to the problem.
Ideally it is helpful to locate the condenser dryer in a room with ventilation that will allow some of the warm air to escape. The warm dry air coming from the dryer can raise the room temperature such that the natural moisture in the room will condense out onto a cold surface such as a wall or window. This might cause a problem if a room is already small, damp or lacks ventilation but shouldn't cause a problem if air can circulate.
http://knowhow.com/article.dhtml?articleReference=3345

And again:
Another point to bear in mind is that these things get hot. The reason I say this is because, should you install a condenser dryer in a cold room expecting there to be absolutely no condensation you may be disappointed. You see the box does generate heat (obviously) and this raises the room temperature which can, in some cases, cause condensation to form on windows etc.
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buyi ... ying-guide
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thanks everyone, and sorry it's a very dreary subject.
Cheers
PC
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

No prob Paul, we'll be right over with a pile of wet laundry when you get it sorted hee hee :lol:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Paul Carmel wrote:Thanks everyone, and sorry it's a very dreary subject.
What it needs is an appropriate caption competition....... :wink:
Essar

Post by Essar »

greenbarn wrote:
Paul Carmel wrote:Thanks everyone, and sorry it's a very dreary subject.
What it needs is an appropriate caption competition....... :wink:
"Dryer not working properly? Do it yourself hot air in seconds! Ravi's Vindaloo & Korma bar has all the right ingredients"
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You can always plumb the condensor dryer into the drainage system like you do the washing machine, as it's a combination machine, I guess it would be simple enough. Most machines have that option now.
lester1meg

Post by lester1meg »

My Bosch did 25 years. Friends who had the same model had theirs for 32.