Mattress prices

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
amandajane

Mattress prices

Post by amandajane »

I know this is the sort of thing that gets raised over and over again so please forgive me if I've missed the answer in my search.

We need a new king size mattress and the more I look the harder it seems to choose. I have been looking at high street brands around £600, so about 1000 pocket springs, some with a layer of memory foam.

Then searching on here I saw the name Mattisons. Looking at their prices a Cosmopolitan 1000 Spring king size is less than £200 and I wonder if anyone can confirm that this isn't too good to be true? (Our cottage is occupied perhaps 10/12 weeks a year plus our own use so not as intensive as a hotel).
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

We'd recommend Mattisons - we have their bed bases and mattresses and the quality is great, as is their service. From memory we have a Hotel Defiant (cheaper) and Hotel Executive (more expensive) and they are both still great after 7 years (We get the neighbours round every year to do a bed test for us - and no, that's not as sleazy as it sounds!))
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have the Cosmopolitan in both my properties. I went with it, not because it was cheap, but during a discussion with the company, I explained I didn't like really firm beds. They explained that the more springs, the more expensive and the firmer the bed. I was told that the Cosmopolitan was the right compromise between quality and firmness. It's a good supportive bed but not rock hard. I get many compliments on it. You're buying a bed at nearer trade price rather than retail as they are trade suppliers.
Last edited by Nemo on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Firmness has nothing directly to do with the number of springs but the gauge of steel used for the springs. Also quality and firmness also have no relation to each other. Again it's simply down to the stiffness of materials used in construction.

The markup on beds is HUGE. A bed that costs 200 to manufacture can easily be sold for 1000. Add a label and that markup goes even higher.

I used to help out a company that manufactured their own beds. They could make a mattress selling for 1000 using identical materials to a name brand selling for 2000. Quite an eye opener. They went bust though lol
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Thanks all.

Have gone with the Cosmopolitan. I think the same mattress sells on kingofcotton for a smidge under £400 so am feeling pretty chuffed.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Just to clarify, my post about firmness and the amount of springs was specific to Mattissons mattresses, as discussed with their customer service, not a generic comment about all mattresses. :wink:
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Thanks for the tip, off to check Mattisons! Love LMH!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Thanks for the tip, off to check Mattisons! Love LMH!
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

What a pity, we have just checked the Mattisons site but it seems that they only ship within the UK unfortunately.

Our beds are due for a change after 11 seasons and we are looking to buy the replacements from the UK and have them shipped over. We purchased our last bed (for ourselves) several years ago from a store in Yorkshire (Bedguru) that ships alot of beds to holiday homes/B&Bs around Europe. The bed arrived within a couple of days (6 weeks wait on average for a new bed here in the NL) and saved us paying double the cost of something similar over here (even after the cost of trucking it over).
G.H

Post by G.H »

Are these much better than a mattress from Ikea? I was just going to get a double from Ikea with their mattress and singles with storage from Kidspace (full size singles) with Ikea mattresses but if these are much better for a similar cost then I'll go with mattersons.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Having gone for the Mattisons one I have just this week had a guest ask me where I got it from as they found it so comfortable. So really pleased.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Thanks brilliant tip I need some new mattresses for a rental flat, top advice
Pamski

Post by Pamski »

AngloDutch - why don't you buy from Mattisons and have the mattresses shipped to someone to deliver them to you. We have talked to Philip White Freight in the past about having things delivered to us in France and I know he delivered for a friend successfully. I believe he has a warehouse where things can be stored till he is making a delivery. Just a thought.
Conkers

Post by Conkers »

We are having the same problem - how much does one have to spend to get a decent mattress? We are just starting up, trying to keep to budget but obviously want our guests to be comfortable. We are looking for 2 single mattresses - potentially to be used by children so don't want to spend a fortune. However, we realise the beds may be occupied by a heavy adult. Could anyone tell me if Mattisons Cosmopolitan feels good? Are the sides fairly solid with no bulging? We shall be using good quality waterproof protectors, plus a quilted cotton protector. Does anyone also use some kind of underblanket as well?
Thank you!
In the discovery phase.....
Sapper

Mattress

Post by Sapper »

We bought our mattresses fron Linx beds, we bought their hotel contract line and are very pleased with them.