How long to hold dates

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
bessie

How long to hold dates

Post by bessie »

A guest requested booking information,over a week ago sent paper via email,stating terms and conditions of booking,and how to pay to secure booking.5 days later get email can't open email please resend .Which I did stating I could post forms but deposit must be paid now.
Nothing but going on how long it is taking them to reply how long do I wait.
Most guests seem to pay within the hour.
Would you email them with a deadline to pay ,I sent the same email to two friends just to check if there was a problem but they confirmed it opened .
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

What format of file did you send? Just because 2 friends can open it does not mean everyone can.
bessie

Post by bessie »

I have always sent it on word doc.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

bessie wrote:I have always sent it on word doc.
Not everyone can read a word .doc file. It's therefore a bit unfair to lay blame on the person wanting to book. If computer literate they could search for a free .doc file reader but why should they?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Word can be iffy, sometimes if I send something to my manager at work, she can open it, sometimes not. Document (my invoice) is always created on same PC, with same programme and using same template. Sometimes she can't open it.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Can you copy and paste the text into the main text of the email? Or export the .doc to a PDF?

I would be tempted on the former option, and state something like 'the dates will be held for 2 days to allow you to pay the deposit'.

Or you could phone them, I finally did this with a reluctant payer and received the funds within the hour.
bessie

Post by bessie »

Thank you,I will transfer to PDF file ,I really will have to go on a computer course .
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

PDF would be the most universal format to use. Ideally an online form would remove this bottleneck in the booking process and make this situation less likely.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Exporting to pdf is easy, I think it's file,export and then just choose the pdf file format.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Jenster wrote:Exporting to pdf is easy, I think it's file,export and then just choose the pdf file format.
Depends on your version of MS Word. The newer ones can simply save as PDF. Older versions don't have this but there are websites which can convert files for free.
bessie

Post by bessie »

Thank you all for your help,I sent the file PDF but I received an email this morning can't open file in PDF but we have changed our mind .clearly had me keep dates while they decided.
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

+1 for PDF.

We won't hold dates under any circumstances. Because we list across a number of sites dates are only confirmed when payment is received.