When that gut feeling proves right...

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

When that gut feeling proves right...

Post by Sam V »

I had a couple of emails from my manager this morning, I had mentioned to my manager to keep an eye on them as they are young (early 20's) and my gut instinct was they might do something a little silly, I didn't know what but just that feeling. Very pleasant during the booking process, spoke on the phone, etc, although a little more hand holding was needed to guide him through.

Subject: current clients

Hi Sam
Hope you are well.
Just wanted to let you know what happened at the weekend with the new arrivals.
They are two young gentleman and they are very nice.
They called me on Saturday evening at 23.00 to say that they had pulled the door too with the keys in the back and locked themselves out.
I went over – my key would not open it as their key was in the back.
They said that it was not locked from the inside, and so I called a handyman that lives nearby.
He came with the usual tools - the triangle to slide in the door etc - he took off the handle and did what they usually do and still had no luck – which is unusual, because the same man has opened this type of door for me many times.
There are several locksmiths whom I can call – this particular evening, no one picked up their phones – I tried four.
I eventually got hold of one in Faro, who was reluctant to come out so late (by this time it was way past midnight)
The main issue was that they had a pizza cooking in the oven, which we could smell from outside and was burning, and so we thought it essential to get in the same evening and not leave it until Sunday morning.
As the door lock was not budging, he decided the best way to get in was to force the kitchen doors (all windows were locked – we tried!), which he did.
When we got inside, we found that they had actually triple locked the door from inside, and that is why there was no way to get in through the main door.
They must have forgotten doing this when they said that the door had just slammed shut.
To be honest, had we have known this from the beginning, then there is no way we would have wasted so much time trying to get in through the main door the normal way, as we eventually got in to the villa at around 02.00 am.
Today is a public holiday, but the aluminum man is coming to repair the kitchen door tomorrow morning.
They know that they have to pay directly, and so when I get the locksmith bill and the aluminum one I will ask them for the money.
Just thought I would let you know while it is still fresh in my mind.
Cheers
Tracey

PS – additional to my previous email..
They were lucky to get hold of me, as I had left them a printed letter , with my telephone number clearly printed in bold for them, saying what time I would visit them on Sunday morning – luckily they had left this on the counter top in the kitchen and peering in through the window were able to read the number……..
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
tavi

Post by tavi »

omg Sam, what a nightmare.

But how did they get out if they'd triple locked the door from the inside? (Neither here nor there - just curious)

Very efficient manager you have :)

They say the brain isn't fully developed until 25 years old. (I can vouch for that with my lot!)
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

tavi wrote:omg Sam, what a nightmare.

But how did they get out if they'd triple locked the door from the inside? (Neither here nor there - just curious)

Very efficient manager you have :)

They say the brain isn't fully developed until 25 years old. (I can vouch for that with my lot!)
I seriously don't know! The mind boggles! I might ask Tracey.

Tracey is fantastic, British and speaks Portuguese and Spanish and a bit of others. Her background originated as a holiday rep

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Went out the kitchen door which locked behind them, having put the pizza in the oven and then went out drinking (a BIG session) and forgot the pizza AND how they had exited the building??
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Change your lock to a security lock where it can be opened with the key still inside - they're not cheap but having one saves a lot of bother! About €100 for the lock plus 2 keys and about €30 per extra key which can only be cut using a special security card that comes with the lock. These locks cannot be snapped off like cheaper bronze ones can, so no risk of illicit entry that way either.

We quite often have guests who lock themselves out with the keys inside and my husband loves to see the tearful embarrassed face turn into one of amazement when he simply slots his key in and opens the door, hey presto! :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

... or a mortice euro lock with thumbturn. Then it can't lock itself and there's no chance of a key being left in the lock on the inside. The big plus with these is that in a locked building on fire in the middle of the night, you can escape through the locked door without a key.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Im not sure the lock can be changed. The door is one of those big heavy jobs with a multi bolt locking system. There's no worry on not being able to get out otherwise, all the rooms have sliding patio doors, the only windows are in the bathrooms and a non opener in the kitchen.

greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

We can override any lock on our properties from the outside with a master key, and there are no locks that use a key from the inside. It seems like a good idea to be able to get fast access in an emergency - guests inside overcome by smoke or whatever (although the smoke alarms will wake the dead....).

Pretty much what Ben McN is suggesting apart from the main lock which is an electronic code latchlock with a thumbturn internal deadbolt for additional security - it can still be overriden from outside with a key.

But I'm under no illusions that one day some guests will manage something that is not in the current edition of the Stupid Manual. :roll:
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Following a conversation with Tracey today, she's given me an update.

The cost of getting the locksmiths out, etc is going to cost the lads close to 200€. In addition there is now damage, a dent, in the sliding door frame to the kitchen where it had to be crow bared open to gain access. To replace this (will have to be the whole door) it will cost iro 700€. I've asked Tracey to get a copy of the quote and send me a photo of the damage to see for myself. I hold a £300 deposit but don't know how I'd get the balance from them so I'll probably be withholding the deposit as some way towards the cost of repair if needed. Tracey doesn't think it would be claimable on insurance.

It's Tuesday, they leave Friday, fingers crossed no more incidents!

EdinburghCityApartments

Post by EdinburghCityApartments »

Maybe wishful thinking but would either your home insurance or their travel insurance (guessing more luck with yours) cover this?
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Sam V wrote:Im not sure the lock can be changed. The door is one of those big heavy jobs with a multi bolt locking system. .
If the door lock is shaped like a harbour pier, it is a "Euro Cylinder lock" the most common these days and most multi point locking doors use them. It is a very easy job to change the euro lock Most often you don't even need a locksmith.
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

You are not going to believe this......

PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Don't say they locked themselves out again???
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Yes! FFS! Tracey called a little while ago, she's 45 minutes away but has called the locksmith out and hoping they've not triple locked the door again. I've suggested she get their insurance details as they've mentioned not being able to get the amount of euros she's asked for from the cash point and suggested it's taken from the security deposit.

Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Further update:

Well, unbelievably, yesterday they did in fact manage to lock themselves out yet again. Same scenario, front door triple locked on the inside and they pulled the patio door closed behind them, tripping the lock to lock the door from the inside and all the other patio doors locked too! Another €60 on their bill.

Plus, they wouldn't pay Tracey direct, saying they can't get the cash out on their cards and saying to take it from the deposit.

I've seen the photos of the damage to the door frame and not happy. The 'man' is going to have another look and do a proper quote to replace it, he thinks it may not be so expensive and he may be able to replace just that strip and not the whole frame, the expense is its painted aluminium. I'll try and post the photos.

Oh, and the lads don't have travel insurance!

Tracey is also going to test the patio doors for me. I'm sure if it's unlocked and you close it from the outside it doesn't lock, but wondering if the lock is put into the lock position when the door is open, then the door is closed, it may trip and lock the door from the outside when you close it.